corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » check this big momma!

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author check this big momma!
Sam
Premium Member

User status: Offline
4th Aug 04 at 07:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That plane looks like it has lowered suspension...
Cybermonkey

4th Aug 04 at 07:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Siberia
do some planes not still have droops on the front of the wings for better lift?

you mean leading edge slats these automatically retract with 5degrees or more of flaps.
Cybermonkey

4th Aug 04 at 07:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by GSiSteve
normal procedure is 5 degree flap at take off

really depends on aircraft, weather conditions, weight, runway, outside air temperature, runway obstructions etc etc
Steve
Premium Member

4th Aug 04 at 07:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cybermonkey24
quote:
normal procedure is 5 degree flap at take off

really depends on aircraft, weather conditions, weight, runway, outside air temperature, runway obstructions etc etc

i shouldve said under ideal conditions
Sam
Premium Member

4th Aug 04 at 07:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dave
Siberia

4th Aug 04 at 07:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

you mean leading edge slats these automatically retract with 5degrees or more of flaps.

yes there on the leading edge... probably called slats on modern airplanes.

older airplanes i.e a Trident they were called droops.

they caused one to crash back in the 70's in Stains in the uk were the droops were raised before the plane had enough altitude.
Steve
Premium Member

4th Aug 04 at 08:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sam
Dave

sam obviously doesnt know who i am
Black Corsa SRi

4th Aug 04 at 17:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

they dont mate, they are mostly used for landing, aincrease the lift by re-energising the boundary layer so tat you can fly slower on approach so you gonna have a lot more than 5 flaps then and they tend to increase their deployment with increased angle of flaps anyway. Know this for a fact and its a pain in the arse when we have fan cowls open on engines and need deploy flaps cause they catch on most aircraft on full deployment (the slats i mean not flaps) so u cant do it!
Black Corsa SRi

4th Aug 04 at 17:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
thats wot we're talking about

wrong sib' is right!
nickyboy01

4th Aug 04 at 21:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I tried a take off from Bristol in a 747 but runway wasnt long enough, ended up making it a few hundred yards longer with my wheels
Siberia

4th Aug 04 at 21:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Black Corsa SRi
quote:

wrong sib' is right!

thank you!

no doubt they will be back to tell us how wrong we are
N22CK_C

5th Aug 04 at 00:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
TTT

wats that about??
Cybermonkey

5th Aug 04 at 01:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by N1C4T3N
quote:
TTT

wats that about??

To The Top
Cybermonkey

5th Aug 04 at 01:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

they dont mate, they are mostly used for landing, aincrease the lift by re-energising the boundary layer so tat you can fly slower on approach so you gonna have a lot more than 5 flaps then and they tend to increase their deployment with increased angle of flaps anyway. Know this for a fact and its a pain in the arse when we have fan cowls open on engines and need deploy flaps cause they catch on most aircraft on full deployment (the slats i mean not flaps) so u cant do it!

A pilot cannot deply the leading edge slats manually?? its all controlled from the main flap lever near the throttle controls Their level of deployment varies on what degree of flaps you select, like you said, but i didnt think modern boeings and airbus' had the option of deploying them regardless of what position the flaps are in. Surely disrupting the air flow at the leading edge of the wing alone will put enormous stress on the wing itself or am i wrong
Cybermonkey

5th Aug 04 at 01:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by nickyboy01
I tried a take off from Bristol in a 747 but runway wasnt long enough, ended up making it a few hundred yards longer with my wheels

Try with 10% of fuel and no passengers/cargo and you may be able to get her up in the air, as long as you are rotating at the right speed.
Cybermonkey

5th Aug 04 at 01:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sam
Dave

Hey Sam!!! long time no speak! I am in auz as you have probably guessed! how are you?
Cybermonkey

5th Aug 04 at 01:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

yes there on the leading edge... probably called slats on modern airplanes.

older airplanes i.e a Trident they were called droops.

they caused one to crash back in the 70's in Stains in the uk were the droops were raised before the plane had enough altitude.

I know of that incident. Nothing the pilot could have done really. The Trident2/3 was so hideously under-powered anyway, they never stood a chance if that situation happened. The wing design, partly designed by my grandfather was very unique in that it needed a new design to work well. Unfortunately, the engineers at BAe Hatfield didnt really think about problems resulting from mechanical failure. The crash was found by 2 kids, and there were human bodies strewn all over the place.
Cybermonkey

5th Aug 04 at 01:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh, and the Trident 3 was retro-fitted with a rocket booster engine to help take off performance. Also, many pilots and engineers who worked on the trident said it only took off because of the curvature of the earth
Siberia

5th Aug 04 at 07:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

A pilot cannot deply the leading edge slats manually?? its all controlled from the main flap lever near the throttle controls Their level of deployment varies on what degree of flaps you select, like you said, but i didnt think modern boeings and airbus' had the option of deploying them regardless of what position the flaps are in. Surely disrupting the air flow at the leading edge of the wing alone will put enormous stress on the wing itself or am i wrong

I'm sure you seen that documentry thing 'Black Box' ?..... there was an episode called 'A Pilots Blame'... that stains crash was on it and they said that the 'droop' were raised to soon causing the plane to go a bit mental.

One of the planes safety features (antistall) kicked in an kept pushing the contoll yoke forward to keep the nose down... but the pilots thought this was a faulty stick push action so over rode the system.

in turn the nose came up the plane went into a stall and down she went.

Maybe i'm worng but i'm just going on that documentry.

also there was no CVR on that plane so all the investigation had to go on was the CDR.

they also reckon the captain may have had a heart attack at the moment the problems started

The droops are on the leading edge of the plane but there quite big sections of the wing.

i'll try and find a picture someware.

[Edited on 05-08-2004 by Siberia]
Steve
Premium Member

5th Aug 04 at 07:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

wrong sib' is right!

thank you!

no, i do not know them as "droops" only as landing edge slats, if he used the correct terminology for modern day planes then i would have known
Siberia

5th Aug 04 at 07:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

kinda both right here.......

Discussions with BEA continued and further changes were agreed to the extent that the new model was renamed the Trident 2ER. "ER'' meant Extended Range as the new Trident would offer almost double the range of the Trident 1 models. In August 1965, BEA chose the Trident 2E (as it was then called) instead of the 1F. The Trident 2E replaced the wing leading-edge droops with slats and extended the span with Kuchemann-style tips. It had with a gross weight of 142,400lb (64,635Kg) and 11,930lb st (5,410Kgp) Spey 512 engines. BEA purchased 15 Trident 2Es and Cyprus Airways purchased 2 aircraft. Surprisingly, the largest customer of the Trident 2E was the Peoples' Republic of China, whose CAAC airline ordered 33 aircraft. (Maybe China wasn't allowed to import Boeing 727s from the USA...)
Black Corsa SRi

5th Aug 04 at 11:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

who said manually i never ever said manually, i said they increase with the flaps and i spent a lot of time studying to be an aircraft engineer and am now licneced so i know my stuff mate,i know these systems! tats why i said when we deploy flaps we have probs with slats and LE Slats dont disruput the airflow to a detremental affect they re-energise the boundary layer over the wing they help, not hinder and yes they do increase the higher the level of flaps, there normally 2 positions half and full deploy! Obviously deployed in the wrong situation they would but thats just he same as any other device it has to be used correcty, but i'm sorry your wrong this time

Black Corsa SRi

5th Aug 04 at 11:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

wrong sib' is right!

thank you!

no, i do not know them as "droops" only as landing edge slats, if he used the correct terminology for modern day planes then i would have known

very true sib it really annoys me since its my job and a company trusts me to do it right and then people who only have experience of flight sim tell me i'm wrong (C - Monkey this not aimed at u, u seem to know your stuff most of the time so dont take offence) oh and Gaz some of the best engineers dont always use the correct modern day temrinology its wat your brought up with you use,its still obvious what the are this is where flight sim knowlage falls short of real knowlage
Cybermonkey

7th Aug 04 at 12:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

who said manually i never ever said manually, i said they increase with the flaps and i spent a lot of time studying to be an aircraft engineer and am now licneced so i know my stuff mate,i know these systems! tats why i said when we deploy flaps we have probs with slats and LE Slats dont disruput the airflow to a detremental affect they re-energise the boundary layer over the wing they help, not hinder and yes they do increase the higher the level of flaps, there normally 2 positions half and full deploy! Obviously deployed in the wrong situation they would but thats just he same as any other device it has to be used correcty, but i'm sorry your wrong this time

Interesting thanks, i have learnt something new
Ben
Banned

7th Aug 04 at 12:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its a plane

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » check this big momma! 22 database queries in 0.0172958 seconds