corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Wheel size debate for handling/ braking options?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Wheel size debate for handling/ braking options?
d128mat

User status: Offline
17th May 06 at 11:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

definatly prefer them black wheels mate
Jambo

17th May 06 at 11:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1st shop is EXACTLY what you should do. LOW LOW LOW and those wheels in same colour with the lip.

Get it done
Corsa E-Tec

17th May 06 at 11:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Teddy
Do 288's not fit behind 15's then? I thought they did?

there 15's with 288MM discs
with 50mm khumo profile tyres.
( would look good with 45 or 40 )
Teddy

17th May 06 at 12:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nope i like all white
N90ATH

17th May 06 at 13:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the all white looks gd mate

but i reckon a differnt style of wheels, dnt know if rota do them in the right offset but the grid or group n's both look nice
alistairolsen

17th May 06 at 13:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thing is if you want it to handle, youll keep the unsprung weight and wheels radius down. That means 15s really. You arent ever going to need more braking than 285mm willwoods. Fitting 16s and 308s is a very backward step if youve ever weighed the disks and calipers!!

It seems however that you are more bothered by looks. I personally think 15s look spot on, 16s ok and 17s too big, but not many would agree with me.

That first shop looks awesome, you can easily overdo colour coding
Jambo

17th May 06 at 14:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Alistair you clearly seem to know you stuff.

Im not trying to argue, nor start an internet gayfest.

I just wanna know how a smaller rim will handle/grip better? Given the larger tyre flex.

I.e Baring in mind there are some lightweight rims out there like rota etc, wouldnt it be more beneficial to fit larger wheels? Not going over the top obv. As the unsprung weight will be the same?
Teddy

17th May 06 at 14:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I totally agree alistair in all fairness, most people have said the same. For a track based balanced car i think its the way to go.

I think ill put the wheels on in white - see how we go, but i think a stock looking white corsa colour coded, but with the break up of the black handles and mud flaps will be spot on
myke

17th May 06 at 14:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i always thought with a larger wheel you'd carry more speed off the throttle as they're like flywhells on each corner.

benefit of a smaller rolling radius is obviously the acceleration benefit for the same reason as above.

i have no idea about the effects of larger or smaller side walls, but i'd imagine you'd want a compromise between big walls for traction and small walls for stiffness in cornering.

i'm just trying to picture cars from different racing classes. touring cars have massive wheels and skinny tyres, open wheelers have small wheels and huge tyres.
If you look at rallying, they upsize their wheels when it comes to tarmac stages compared to having small ones for gravel or forest etc. whether thats because there are benefits to having larger wheels or if it's just so they can fit larger brakes i'm not sure about.

Ash, Ed or Brad will probably be quite clued up because of their courses.
3CorsaMeal

17th May 06 at 14:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

[Edited on 17-05-2006 by 3CorsaMeal]
Marc

17th May 06 at 14:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by myke
i always thought with a larger wheel you'd carry more speed off the

Bigger wheels do generally give a greater top speed, but you can sacrifice acceleration.
alistairolsen

17th May 06 at 15:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you keep the same rolling radius and therefore final drive (relationship between revs and roadspeed in a given gear) then there are several factors to consider.

First is inertia, the greater the mass of the wheel, and the further out the mass is centred, the more torque it will take to accelerate the wheels, and in turn the car. People fit lightened flywheels and then massive heavy wheels and disks. The effect of the flywheel is greater as it is pre gearbox, where there is less torque and more revs, but the principle is the same. A set of std vaux 284 disks is 6 kilos a side, compare that to 285s with alloy bells!! Thats why i suggested multispokes, as with three spokes for instance the rim tends to be thicker and weigh more, right at the outside edge of the wheel!!

Then there is unsprung weight. this includes the disk, caliper, wheel, tyre, hub and bottom half of the shock. Obviously the lighter this total comes to the better and more reponsive you springs and dampers can be. This means that massive cast calipers are out so you use lightweight four pots, and light wheels (you have to draw a compromise between outright mass and inertia here)

Then after all that you have tyre flex. the major change comes in going from round profile sidewalls (generally anything above 55 profile) to flat "low profile" tyres. Even 50s tend to flex. The ideal tyre size for 15s is 45% aspect ratio, and for 16s Id use 40 (imo anything below this and they are dangerous on the road as one pothole could see you in a hendge very quickly) I challenge anyone to pick up any major differences between the two on track unless they are going for fully adjustable suspension geometry, multipoint weld in cage etc.

So tyre flex is a fairly minor issue when compared with the rest.

Of course due to cost etc most people raid the vaux parts bin and use 308s cos theyre big and look cool (despite the fact that they overbrake the car and weigh a ton) and then run speedlines or another rim of choice because it looks good. You have to decide how far you want to go. My corsa runs 288s behind cav cesaro six spokes because it wasa cheap road car project. Im under no illusions tho and I know that for track use, wheel inertia and mass are far more important than what they look like!
ed

17th May 06 at 15:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Marc
quote:
Originally posted by myke
i always thought with a larger wheel you'd carry more speed off the

Bigger wheels do generally give a greater top speed, but you can sacrifice acceleration.
I think Mykes talking more about the inertia of a bigger wheel as it has more mass...

[Edited on 17-05-2006 by ed]
myke

17th May 06 at 15:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

interesting post
mwg

17th May 06 at 15:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal

just chucked those rims on as they are, lowered a little and got rid of handles (which you prob don't wanna do)

keep it simple

you NEED to do that and dont colour code!
ed

17th May 06 at 15:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

alistairolsen seems to have it spot on.

Another point to consider is lowering the car. You don't want to over lower it and you don't want to lower the back too much. The front of the car should be lower than the back...
Rob B

17th May 06 at 15:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Matty G
quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal

just chucked those rims on as they are, lowered a little and got rid of handles (which you prob don't wanna do)

keep it simple

you NEED to do that and dont colour code!

my wheels will be for sale in the next month will look like that with them
jamesvalver

17th May 06 at 15:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

15's with 288mm v6 brakes
dna23

17th May 06 at 15:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

found this Teddy, may help:

quote:
Originally posted by MWF from http://www.migweb.co.uk/

You mean tyre size not wheel size. Actually it all comes down to the weight of the car, the nature of the suspension geometries, weight balance and suspension stiffness. On a small car with a big engine you are better using a higher sidewall as this will give you far more scope for adjustment. In a V6 powered nova you need something like 50profile sidewall as reducing bodyroll without reducing suspension travel is paramount. The tyres should absorb some of the work the shocks do like in a formula one car or a NASCAR. By using a lower sidewall the car is going to be very prone to being scittish and while it would be possible to achieve the same results it would be vary more intensive.

Generally most DIY tuners will 'over tyre' their cars with a minimal of 17's and low profile tyres. This is good for a smooth race track but a poor compromise on the road. If they're there to look good then fine but anyone who thinks that fitting far wider and lower profile tyres will make their car handle better on British roads in British weather is mistaken. You only have to take a look at most motorsport, inparticular rallying to see the reality.

[Edited on 17-05-2006 by dna23]
timrud_

17th May 06 at 15:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Point worth noting, my Reyland brakes will fit behind 15" MO's. I've just bought some 15" Compomotive TH1's to see if they will fit over them. Will be interesting to see!
3CorsaMeal

17th May 06 at 15:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just to be that little bit more unique

mwg

17th May 06 at 15:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what car are they off
3CorsaMeal

17th May 06 at 15:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they are Enkei rims
N90ATH

17th May 06 at 15:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nice tim should be gd, teddy after finding that pic of ur car 3cm did with th2's i'm looking at a set, but they only do 16" min now so the th3 is becoming my favorite. i'm looking at 15 for 2 reason handling and cost of tyres
Teddy

18th May 06 at 07:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

3CM i cant see the new shops

I have my heart set on the rota's and having it all white.
I think that will look spot on personally

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Wheel size debate for handling/ braking options? 22 database queries in 0.0167758 seconds