corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » ultimate or optimax

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author ultimate or optimax
Marc

User status: Offline
18th Jul 06 at 12:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thought it was just America that got the low stuff!
Cybermonkey

18th Jul 06 at 12:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no, we have a lot of local built cars that need the 91RON IIRC. but we get 101RON so who cares

i heard that the new F6 Typhoon gets a 50bhp boost just from using 101 over 98
Marc

18th Jul 06 at 12:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Blimey!!! Mine gets an extra 13bhp from using SUL over unleaded No, really!

Cybermonkey

18th Jul 06 at 12:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the F6 has some fancy jiggery pockeery though, increases and decreases boost pressure electronically depending on ambient temps.
Marc

18th Jul 06 at 12:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Like an extreme knock sensor?
Cybermonkey

18th Jul 06 at 12:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes. i heard you can lay them flat to get an extra 26bhp though
beattie17

18th Jul 06 at 12:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive been using normal unleaded since i got car! will fill up tank with optimax on friday n see if it runs any different!
DarkBahamut

18th Jul 06 at 12:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Marc

Octane ratings in the UK and US arent worked out the same, which is what makes the difference in the number. Optimax based on a US octane rating would be around 93-94 while the highest in the US is around 91-92, in rare cases 93, so US fuel is really any lower rated than UK fuels.
Cybermonkey

18th Jul 06 at 12:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DarkBahamut
quote:
Originally posted by Marc

Octane ratings in the UK and US arent worked out the same, which is what makes the difference in the number. Optimax based on a US octane rating would be around 93-94 while the highest in the US is around 91-92, in rare cases 93, so US fuel is really any lower rated than UK fuels.

i live in Australia, our research octane numbering system is identical to the united kingdom
Cybermonkey

18th Jul 06 at 12:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so 91RON here is the same as 91RON in UK, just you dont get it served at the pump anymore
a_j_mair

18th Jul 06 at 12:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by beattie17
ive been using normal unleaded since i got car! will fill up tank with optimax on friday n see if it runs any different!

letus know if you think it make any difference
DarkBahamut

18th Jul 06 at 12:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was replying to the thing about only America getting the low stuff, since they do have high octane fuels too .

One comment on low octane fuels though, they arent really as bad as people think. My friend in the US drives a 93 2nd gen Integra with a 1.8L 140bhp engine. Thats designed to run on 87 octane (about RON92) and will do so no problems even with 155,000 miles on it. So clearly lower fuels arent that bad either.
Cybermonkey

18th Jul 06 at 13:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that depends on the engine though, some engines cannot retard the timing enough when using low octane fuel, and it can lead to pre detonation and all sorts of nasty stuff, pinking etc. my 1.8 Barina isnt meant to be run on 91, strictly 95 and upwards, but my old 2.0 Camry loved 91RON fuel.
DarkBahamut

18th Jul 06 at 13:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its not really about retarding the timings though. His integra would run on 87 octane without retarding the times at all and still put out the full 140bhp from the 1.8, as thats the cars recommended fuel. It is down to the engine itself though, some engines just seem to require higher octane for some reason even if they rev lower, put out lower power, lower compression, etc. Probabaly just lazy engine designers .
Corsa_Sri_93

18th Jul 06 at 13:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've been running Tesco 99ron in my Prelude because that's what was recommended to me due to it being a Jap import and petrol in Japan being 99ron also. However, i recently noticed the car was a little bit hesitant when pulling hard through the gears so i've just gone back to optimax for a bit. Much smoother now. Might try some injector cleaner on the next fill up too.
Any recommendations on injector cleaner ???

[Edited on 18-07-2006 by Corsa_Sri_93]
Cybermonkey

18th Jul 06 at 13:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Its not really about retarding the timings though. His integra would run on 87 octane without retarding the times at all and still put out the full 140bhp from the 1.8, as thats the cars recommended fuel. It is down to the engine itself though, some engines just seem to require higher octane for some reason even if they rev lower, put out lower power, lower compression, etc. Probabaly just lazy engine designers .

that makes no sense. ALL engines need to retard/advance timing for the RON of fuel. if its by means of a RON plug or knock sensor, they all have to do it.
Steve
Premium Member

18th Jul 06 at 13:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

he will be slowly stripping the linings on his cylinders from running fuel that low, pre ignition det causes this, the timings have to be correct for the fuel
DarkBahamut

18th Jul 06 at 14:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cybermonkey
quote:

that makes no sense. ALL engines need to retard/advance timing for the RON of fuel. if its by means of a RON plug or knock sensor, they all have to do it.

The knock sensor is designed to retard the timings when engine 'knocking' is detected, thus reducing the risk of engine damage. The knock sensor doesnt advance the timings higher than the set timing for the engine if knocking isnt detected, so once your using a fuel of high enough octane to stop any knocking or detonation then the knock sensor doesnt do anything more to your engine timing.
DarkBahamut

18th Jul 06 at 14:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
he will be slowly stripping the linings on his cylinders from running fuel that low, pre ignition det causes this, the timings have to be correct for the fuel

Who will be?
Steve
Premium Member

18th Jul 06 at 14:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ian griffiths
beattie17

18th Jul 06 at 20:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by a_j_mair
quote:
Originally posted by beattie17

letus know if you think it make any difference

Will do
mav

18th Jul 06 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Volvo recommends my T4 to run on 98 ron fuel so I use optimax..But I have also been using ultimate at 97ron and don't feel no difference between the 2.
Ry_B
Banned

18th Jul 06 at 21:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Optimax is better in my experience.
DarkBahamut

18th Jul 06 at 21:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ry_B
Optimax is better in my experience.

quote:
Originally posted by Ry_B
Drives: 45BHP beast!

Nath

18th Jul 06 at 22:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone tried BP's 102RON fuel? It's only available at a few sites IIRC. Saying that its £2.?? per litre!

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » ultimate or optimax 22 database queries in 0.0152791 seconds