corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Help...Track car????

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Help...Track car????
Robin
Premium Member

User status: Offline
5th Nov 06 at 16:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

shouldn't be too long then

whatever you do, DON'T buy a miami blue 1.9 with half leather please.
Reedy

5th Nov 06 at 16:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robin
shouldn't be too long then

I want a gunmetal grey one.

Seats will be coming out ( well all bar one )
Lucky B

5th Nov 06 at 16:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dont buy a Mi16 motor... they suffer from oil starvation during cornering so dont last long on the track.

Even baffled sumps dont sure the problem.

Go for a S1 106 with a 1.6 16v fitted and some 708 Cat cams.

157bhp and total reliability.
Paul_J

5th Nov 06 at 17:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lucky B you have a diff in yours too though

Reedy, I'd do as others have said, get a 1.9 8v gti, get it on some decent suspension (coilovers or something), and then completely strip it.

Take it on the track like that, it'll be easier to learn to go fast in a slow car - than being normal pace in a fast car.

Reedy, I'm not having a go - Driving on Track is completely different to driving on roads. In my opinion spinning shouldn't really happen. If you push too hard the car will understeer, it's lifting off / braking mid bend that causes spins - that's not pushing too hard, that's driver error.

However, I know in your case you had to brake so that's no problem.

Recently you get a lot of people on track that think they're 'really' shifting, but they're slow. I followed a mate of mine round combe and he said he couldn't possibly go any faster. But through half the bends I saw his brake lights coming on mid bend.

Track driving is all about learning to get all of your braking out of the way before the bend (and hopefully in a straight line), then applying some power (but not too much), turning in, hitting the apex and accelerating out gently.

It's essentially like paint by numbers, but with cones

I think a 1.9 8v 205 would be more than sufficent to learn all this.

I remember my first track day at donnington, I was completely shit. I was braking too early and not hard enough, braking mid corner, lifting where I shouldn't be, accelerating too hard when I shouldn't be mid bend etc.

I then had an instructor go out with me and tell me what to do and where and it suddenly makes sense to be smooth, and do things in stages not all at once.

Obviously when you and your car are capable of going quicker, a slight lift off or a dab of brakes may help mid bend to get the front to turn in.

I've done like over 15 track sessions and I always come back feeling I've learnt something. Makes you a better / quicker driver on road too.

Most of the people you see spin on track (that hasn't slipped off onto grass, or got F*cked tyres), are from lifting off / braking mid corner.

Obviously if it's wet / or pushing really hard the back may step out, but simple correction will solve this.

I remember seeing a lotus esprit at my last castle combe session infront of me. I came out of the chicane and it just kept turning (with a plume of smoke from the tyres), obviously went into it and was braking / off the throttle as he was flicking the car through the bend.

I look forward to getting my car fixed and said Toyo R888's or Yoko's for next years track fun
Paul_J

5th Nov 06 at 17:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh fuck - back to my essay's
Reedy

5th Nov 06 at 18:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
Oh fuck - back to my essay's

i think we were due one
Corsa E-Tec

5th Nov 06 at 19:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

XR2 with an ERST engine in it

[Edited on 05-11-2006 by Corsa E-Tec]
AK

5th Nov 06 at 19:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

get something with better suspension and brakes compared to the engine.

A slow car can be a lot of fun....

The pug wasnt quick (130bhp) but it braked and handled very well..... kicking 106 GTi's asses (Paul J) with 150'ish bhp
Paul_J

5th Nov 06 at 20:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AK
get something with better suspension and brakes compared to the engine.

A slow car can be a lot of fun....

The pug wasnt quick (130bhp) but it braked and handled very well..... kicking 106 GTi's asses (Paul J) with 150'ish bhp

Sorry but remind me exactly when you and your 205 was on the same track as me and kicked my arse?

Yes though a decent handling 130 bhp 1.9 8v Gti 205 can beat a 106 gti round a track. But in similar light a decent handling 106 gti can beat a 205 round a track. Different drivers, different modifications done to cars. I've personally never had a problem with 205's on any track i've been on, except for one which had a gti6 engine in it and was about 185 bhp, which I was keeping up with no problem.

Obviously, I've only driven on track with some 205's and they may not of had the best drivers, or brilliant suspension mods etc. Round the bends I keep up and down the straights I pass them.
AK

5th Nov 06 at 20:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes.... you are the best
Paul_J

5th Nov 06 at 20:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds like a fun challenge Lets meet at a track in the middle of the country.

hah, I'm not the best driver I'll admit, just stating the fact that I've never been troubled by 205's on track - possibly they're not driven by the best drivers or are not that modified? but just stating my experience.

You on the other hand quoted that your 205 has been 'Kicking 106 gti Paul_J's asses on track' ?? Just find it a bit rich considering I don't even know you and have never met you.

Though it's highly likely you've beaten 106 gti's and may probably beat mine on track too in your 205.
AK

5th Nov 06 at 20:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have in no way said 'Kicking 106 gti Paul_J's asses on track'

read it...

I said

kicking 106 GTi's asses (Paul J) with 150'ish bhp

This was mearly as reference to you, and your comment that no 205 comes near to you or whatever you said.

taxi.
Paul_J

5th Nov 06 at 20:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fair enough.
Chris Bingham

5th Nov 06 at 21:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robin

I went to see one of these yesterday, with the half leather. Wanted £1750 for it but it wasn't good enough to fetch that. Needed a bit of paint and boot floor was rusted. Looks like I could be getting a 205 1.6 GTi, swapping the engine for a 1.9 or a 2.0 8v Turbo.
Robin
Premium Member

5th Nov 06 at 21:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there's a mint one near me, i might enquire, the old guy probably doesnt know what it's worth.
Reedy

6th Nov 06 at 11:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What pugs did the 2.0 8v turbo engine come in???

Ditch

6th Nov 06 at 11:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
However, I've seen you drive on track and I don't think you'd be able to control that

Afterall if you can spin a FWD small hatch on a simple bend, I'd hate to think what you'd do trying to drift a RWD car round one

cos Paul J is the god of driving after owning a corsa and a pug 106
Lucky B

6th Nov 06 at 11:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Reedy
What pugs did the 2.0 8v turbo engine come in???

406 and also the Citroen XM i think.
Chris Bingham

6th Nov 06 at 11:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, XM is a good cheap bet. You can pick them up with Turbos, ECUs etc for £400 ish, maybe less. A good gearbox is a 306 Xsi box, really well geared for the engine. See 135mph out of that in 5th.
Paul_J

6th Nov 06 at 12:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ditch
quote:
However, I've seen you drive on track and I don't think you'd be able to control that

Afterall if you can spin a FWD small hatch on a simple bend, I'd hate to think what you'd do trying to drift a RWD car round one

cos Paul J is the god of driving after owning a corsa and a pug 106

So are you saying he'll jump straight into a RWD drive jap car and instantly be "Drift King" I think not?

No need to be a dick going 'Oh you think your so great'. I don't, I just think driving on track is different to road and it takes time to learn what your doing, hence I don't think someone who has only done 1 track day, and on that track day spun their FWD car, should be let loose on a RWD jap beast trying to drift?

Makes sense? - I wouldn't want to be let loose in a RWD drift car round a track when others are out on it, as I would also no doubt be crap at first.

No need to be such a dick about it ditch.
Ditch

6th Nov 06 at 12:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im merely pointing out it appears your trying to come accross as the all knowledgeable, when really what you were trying to do was have a dig at Reedy and tell him he cant drive no???

just pointing out it seemed like that to me... not trying to be a dick or write an essay or anything
Paul_J

6th Nov 06 at 12:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To be fair, I was having a dig at reedy As we were out on track together and I was one of the people who persuaded him to get on track

Originally I thought reedy's point was that he was getting a track car because a 205 was a track car, where as a 106 gti was not.

So I was having a dig saying learn to drive quick in what you've got, a 205 / jap car etc, essentially won't make you any quicker if you don't know how to drive.

But then on msn, he explained he was getting a track car, so that he wouldn't risk damaging his 106 gti on track, not because he necisarily thought a track slagged 205 would be any better than a tracked up 106 gti.

but all the above about being let loose in a rwd drift car still stands true too.

Not meaning to have a go at you either to be honest ditch, just in a bad mood as of late

Reedy

6th Nov 06 at 12:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Paul when you have a dig i see it more of a mess about.

If anything it has made me more determined to proove you wrong. So when i get the 1.9 205 then we can go out and ill show you that im better than what you think i am.
Paul_J

6th Nov 06 at 12:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Chris Bingham

6th Nov 06 at 16:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Enough bitching girls.

Here are some pics of my mates 205 Turbo:-

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Help...Track car???? 22 database queries in 0.1029222 seconds