corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » proper rollcages

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author proper rollcages
Steve
Premium Member

User status: Offline
19th Nov 06 at 18:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as always providing a sceptical slant on things
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

19th Nov 06 at 19:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wgo did jr and brosters? and how muchos were they?
Robin
Premium Member

19th Nov 06 at 19:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

> Racing Developments < in MK. Marks was more than James', because it was the first.

IIRC, they were about £450, but if you look at how close they sit to the pillars when compared to a bolt in, and the quality of the welds/boxes etc, you'll see it's money well spent.
dhdev

19th Nov 06 at 19:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

safety is not something to compromise on. I have a bolt in cage in mine that is then strategically welded to the shell, for extra strength / safety. You'll be amazed at how much the cage and shell will move relative to each other if its just fixed at the feet of the cage.
25-30kgs is a small price to pay for the safety it provides, my mate would've been a lot worse off it hadn't been for a properly fitted cage.

Robin
Premium Member

19th Nov 06 at 19:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

floor
Steve
Premium Member

19th Nov 06 at 20:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my point is, how do you know the car in that crash wouldve been worse off had the crash happened without a cage?

i think what is needed is a test on a car without a cage and a car with and roll them over a few times see what difference it actually makes.

I understand a cage is vital in race or rally cars that are doing 120+ through corners, but in your average road crash where you roll it at 50, 60, 70...? i wouldnt mind seeing a test on it
Greg_M

19th Nov 06 at 20:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robin
=IIRC, they were about £450, but if you look at how close they sit to the pillars when compared to a bolt in, and the quality of the welds/boxes etc, you'll see it's money well spent.

is that welded in for £450?
Robin
Premium Member

19th Nov 06 at 20:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes, bolt in was more, as they have to make the flanges, AND weld plates to the car too.
dhdev

19th Nov 06 at 20:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
my point is, how do you know the car in that crash wouldve been worse off had the crash happened without a cage?

i think what is needed is a test on a car without a cage and a car with and roll them over a few times see what difference it actually makes.

I understand a cage is vital in race or rally cars that are doing 120+ through corners, but in your average road crash where you roll it at 50, 60, 70...? i wouldnt mind seeing a test on it

If you're reffering to my above post, then the deformation of the cage is testament to the amount of force that it has taken, therefore I can without any doubt say that yes he was better off with a cage.
Greg_M

19th Nov 06 at 20:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
yes, bolt in was more, as they have to make the flanges, AND weld plates to the car too.

thanks i shall give them a call tomorrow
K3 VMU

19th Nov 06 at 20:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

i think my mates car crash is pretty good evidence?

if it wasnt for the cage,the roof would have been flat-and no doubt caused a death
Robin
Premium Member

19th Nov 06 at 20:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they might be cheaper Greg, I'm going on memory
Steve
Premium Member

19th Nov 06 at 20:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dhdev
quote:

If you're reffering to my above post, then the deformation of the cage is testament to the amount of force that it has taken, therefore I can without any doubt say that yes he was better off with a cage.

yeah, maybe in that situation it did work???

a cars chassis is more than adequate to handle a few rolls on its own

Robin
Premium Member

19th Nov 06 at 20:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There's your answer Steve, if that 106 had a full cage, it would have been 106 shape still.
Steve
Premium Member

19th Nov 06 at 20:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by K3 VMU
quote:

i think my mates car crash is pretty good evidence?

if it wasnt for the cage,the roof would have been flat-and no doubt caused a death

no those pictures prove nothing as we have seen pictures of an almost identical crash in a saxo wthout a cage and it looked no different, all the force in those pics was absorbed by the b pillar
Robin
Premium Member

also, I don't think Dave was after one for the life saving bit, he is after the stiffening thing.
Steve
Premium Member

19th Nov 06 at 20:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
There's your answer Steve, if that 106 had a full cage, it would have been 106 shape still.

yep i think with a full cage the front top of the car would have stayed rigid, i still dont thinkt he driver would have come off any worse or better
Steve
Premium Member

19th Nov 06 at 20:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
also, I don't think Dave was after one for the life saving bit, he is after the stiffening thing.

oh yes without a doubt there is handling advantages to be gained
Steve
Premium Member

19th Nov 06 at 20:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im not trying to say rollcages are bad or dont help, im saying people come along and post pictures of crashes and say rollcages saved there lives, which might not necessarily be true.

I have seen a lot of crashes where people have walked away from a rolled car fine with no roll cage
Robin
Premium Member

19th Nov 06 at 20:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah, definitely, but i reckon any deformation of the passenger compartment is bad, so a FULL cage, which prevents this, is likely to be better, as you cannot be hit by a random bit of pillar.

i do see your point though
K3 VMU

19th Nov 06 at 20:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
im not trying to say rollcages are bad or dont help, im saying people come along and post pictures of crashes and say rollcages saved there lives, which might not necessarily be true.

I have seen a lot of crashes where people have walked away from a rolled car fine with no roll cage

yes but there IS situations when a cage will save your life,i believe that my mates was one of them, but thats imo.
jr

19th Nov 06 at 21:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
> Racing Developments < in MK. Marks was more than James', because it was the first.

IIRC, they were about £450, but if you look at how close they sit to the pillars when compared to a bolt in, and the quality of the welds/boxes etc, you'll see it's money well spent.

this is very true, which annoyed mark
Nic Barnes

19th Nov 06 at 21:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

once again making an argument for no reason
broster
Premium Member

19th Nov 06 at 21:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jr
quote:

this is very true, which annoyed mark

its the material that made mine more costly, when i had mine done i wanted it done asap, they only had (enter some tube name here) which was more costly, and they wernt to keen on using it up, so i paid a premium

i would deffo use them again, but then again, danny bates makes some ace cages, and his fab work is fantastic, amazes me every time i go to his workshop.

so there is deffo something worth looking into.

two companies to try:

racing developments
adreniline race and performance

both have plus points, danny builds drag cars and preps cars for anything, racing developments build and race their own 750cc stock hatch cars and prepare many other cars.

also mark from racing develoments is a composite engineer so he can make you fancy stuff from carbon
Steve
Premium Member

19th Nov 06 at 21:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by muppetsport
quote:

once again making an argument for no reason

im not arguing ffs

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » proper rollcages 22 database queries in 0.0163271 seconds