corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Apprentice Mechanics/Mechanics please give me advice ?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Apprentice Mechanics/Mechanics please give me advice ?
Gregor

User status: Offline
22nd Nov 06 at 22:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, thing is I'm getting jobs to do since its only me and the boss.

I don't know what it is that has lost my interest

I have 2 and a half years to go
daz 16v

22nd Nov 06 at 23:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i trained at college for 3 and years doin mechanics and when i what looking for a job the money was so shit, i work at mcdonalds and earn more then a mechanic plus i enjoy it being a hobby
kezza

23rd Nov 06 at 00:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you should do what you want to do dont do a job just because of the money you have to enjoy what your doing for a living. im having the same problem myself, im electrician just got 2 years to go till qualified but i have lost interest in it and am thinkng about doing motor vehicle mechanic.
starkie

23rd Nov 06 at 11:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

see your time out then its something to go back to if needs be
kezza

23rd Nov 06 at 11:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeh i agree with that.
Gregor

25th Dec 06 at 22:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well , lost my job a couple of weeks ago as in another post , boss fucked off out of country.

Now I dont know what the best option is ?

Pretty pish discussion on xmas day , but it's obviously all I'm thinking about at present !
csweatherston

25th Dec 06 at 22:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there is no money in mecahincs unless you own your own garage
Dan
Premium Member

26th Dec 06 at 08:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by csweatherston

i wouldnt agree with this. i earn more than enough now im qualified. over £10/p/hr.

My personal opinion is, if u enjoy mechanical work, and do fancy a change of career, go into HGV mechanics. this is what i do, and its paid alot more, and the technology in trucks is way ahead of cars.

if u want to do this, go through a main dealer, i work for volvo and the apprentice scheme is one of the best. takes 3 years, but u learn so much about the vehicles you work on as they have there own training college.

the down side is the money is very poor until you are qualified, but it does cost the depot something like 10k a year to send you there (all to do with volvo's silly dealer reconition scheme why its so high)

but id say go for it

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
allza

26th Dec 06 at 11:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im also an apprentice and am in my second year. I get paid to go on my course and also earn about £18k which isn't too bad. Some dealerships can offer good training but its specific to their company. Some of the work is routine but i really enjoy it.
ShEp

26th Dec 06 at 11:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have been there and done that mate, i got sick of my appretiship, BUT STICK IT OUT!!

you'll get a load more money being a joiner, if tinkering with cars is what u want to do then do it after,

but really, its a shite job to have, unless you work for yourself wages arent all that good, my garage charged £45 per hour for my work, and i got £4.50 of it, thats why i left as soon as i was done, im now just putting till the summer then im going back to college to do mechanical engineering,

but the best advice you'll get is to stick it out, i know how hard it is going in everyday and u dont wanna be there, i had to put up with bullying in the workplace, and £4.50 an hour, to live on, when i was 20years old,

joiner aspprentices are on arounf £7/8 aren't they?

when qualified around my area £7 is what mechanics get, and in the city its around £10p/h but joiners are £13/£19p/h

but at the end of the day noone can tell u what to do, we can just give u our advice,

hope this helps mate, there maybe hard times ahead
bieransri

26th Dec 06 at 11:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im 1 year into an apprenticeship scheme with arnold clarke, i think its great most the time but as said it gets a little tedious, serviceing, brake pads etc.

the only advantage i have really is that its a motorstore and we deal with all makes and models so im not just mainly doing say fords or vauxhalls theres everything.

also i go away to glasgow for 1 week about every month for my college traing as mr arnold clarke owns a college up there called gtg.
its a change of scenery and a good laff after the first once or twice because the lads there share similar intrests to you and are of same age etc. its basically a week off. sit in college all day,sometimes do practical work which involves us getting a car provided(they have very good resources) to work on. we sometimes even have our own cars in. theres a bodyshop there and one lad in my group had his saxo re-painted over the week by last year bodyshop guys. finish was spot on and was done for nothing.

overall id agree with robin, i wouldnt suggest making a hobby a job but i have a very strong ambition to have my own business when i qualify/been in the job some years.

mainly because like Dave A said he wouldnt do it for someone else. main reason being the money is there but not working for someone else.

ever thought of finishing your apprenticeship and going night college to do mechanics. that way you have a job, learn how to do your job, have your hobby as a hobby, learn how to do better more technical stuff to do with your hobby and get a qualification at the end of it to allow you to decide wether you want to get a job in mechanics

as i got told think about it as its basically most of your life your talking about
ShEp

26th Dec 06 at 11:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

one thing i forgot to mention,

i worked for Vauxhall, a large dealership and i found the college training good, BUT the actual work expierience wasn't

try and get in with a local small garage that will do local college block relses, you dont wanna be stuck doing servicing and pre delivery inspections,

get knowlege in all makes and models, and all types of work on cars,

tyhe bigger garages tend to charge more labour thus meaning that a lot of the bigger jobs go to smaller garages
ShEp

26th Dec 06 at 12:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by bieransri
im 1 year into an apprenticeship scheme with arnold clarke, i think its great most the time but as said it gets a little tedious, serviceing, brake pads etc.

the only advantage i have really is that its a motorstore and we deal with all makes and models so im not just mainly doing say fords or vauxhalls theres everything.

also i go away to glasgow for 1 week about every month for my college traing as mr arnold clarke owns a college up there called gtg.
its a change of scenery and a good laff after the first once or twice because the lads there share similar intrests to you and are of same age etc. its basically a week off. sit in college all day,sometimes do practical work which involves us getting a car provided(they have very good resources) to work on. we sometimes even have our own cars in. theres a bodyshop there and one lad in my group had his saxo re-painted over the week by last year bodyshop guys. finish was spot on and was done for nothing.

overall id agree with robin, i wouldnt suggest making a hobby a job but i have a very strong ambition to have my own business when i qualify/been in the job some years.

mainly because like Dave A said he wouldnt do it for someone else. main reason being the money is there but not working for someone else.

ever thought of finishing your apprenticeship and going night college to do mechanics. that way you have a job, learn how to do your job, have your hobby as a hobby, learn how to do better more technical stuff to do with your hobby and get a qualification at the end of it to allow you to decide wether you want to get a job in mechanics

as i got told think about it as its basically most of your life your talking about

is it lagta college you go to with arnold clark?
Marshall

26th Dec 06 at 12:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You only live once, so do something you love.

Im a renault apprentice and despite having to work on lagunas and scenics, i still enjoy it.
bieransri

26th Dec 06 at 15:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the college is gtg glasgow taining group
Mark330d

26th Dec 06 at 16:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

a relative of arnold clarks used to go to my school and each day he got dropped off by a different flash car.
MikeE

28th Dec 06 at 10:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im a joiner and chippy, plan on going shopfitting in 2years or so thats were you can earn £££
SVM 286

28th Dec 06 at 17:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dan
quote:
Originally posted by csweatherston

i wouldnt agree with this. i earn more than enough now im qualified. over £10/p/hr.

That's a very good rate for a bloke of your age Dan.

Maybe I should try HGV instead.

What are your hours like?
SVM 286

28th Dec 06 at 17:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by allza
Im also an apprentice and am in my second year. I get paid to go on my course and also earn about £18k which isn't too bad.

Are you serious, or did you mean 8k?
Dan
Premium Member

28th Dec 06 at 18:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SVM 286

That's a very good rate for a bloke of your age Dan.

Maybe I should try HGV instead.

What are your hours like?

i work shifts, 6-2/2-10, have tues off and work sat 6-3/8-5

its good pay tbh. best around here, wiv bonuses for call outs in work hours.

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
Marc

28th Dec 06 at 18:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd think long and hard before becoming a mechanic! 2 of my mates have done it since leaving school (26 and 28) and they do nothing but complain about it, yet never try to do anything else! They're constantly moving to differant dealers for more money yet face the same problems and are never happy! One lad has worked at 6 differant garages now and has recently just gone back to one for more money. They're never truely happy though. Plus think to when you're in your 50s! You'll have another 15 years of it!

I gave up Fabricating after 8 years, I only wish I'd packed it in earlier!

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Apprentice Mechanics/Mechanics please give me advice ? 23 database queries in 0.0152349 seconds