corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Lets see if we can instigate some constuctive input.....

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Lets see if we can instigate some constuctive input.....
jr

User status: Offline
20th Dec 06 at 12:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i feel like im back on rag it again
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

20th Dec 06 at 13:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why jr? cause you are surrounded by a bunch of southern cunts?
Robin
Premium Member

20th Dec 06 at 14:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Teddy
C20LET

---Points for - Supercar performance in a light Corsa shell, tuning opportunites to take to make serious power, masses of torque.

---Points against - "Protecting" a turbo agaist long hard abuse (thinking the ring here) concerns me greatly, these engines were never designed to take long hard abuse round a track and i think serious cash could be involved to get it to do this.

Go for that, you know you'll regret it if you don't, like you did with the GSi.

Keep it sensible, and you won't need to worry about protecting your 'ring'
Robin
Premium Member

20th Dec 06 at 14:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR
Monkey, how is a 350bhp FWD lightweight corsa going to handle on track??????

Teddy, XEV is far better than the small block still. Im un-sure why your so un-interested in it if your wanting to build a track car? It'll be less work than a 1.8 conversion, has more power, more performance, and practically the same weight and age...

IMO, your options are only a 2.0 NA engine. XEV practically is a small block anyway

why? the Z18 and Z18XE1 both go in on standard mounts
jr

20th Dec 06 at 14:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
why jr? cause you are surrounded by a bunch of southern cunts?

i only feel that when im close to you
Daimo B

20th Dec 06 at 14:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robin

why? the Z18 and Z18XE1 both go in on standard mounts

Does it?

In which case, why arn't a lot more people doing it if its such an easy conversion to do?

I'd still rather just go for the 2.0...
Robin
Premium Member

20th Dec 06 at 14:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I suppose no-one goes for the 1.8 because they assume it's big block, and go for a 2 litre.

And with the Z18XE being relatively new, they're not cheap like 20XEs.
pomada

20th Dec 06 at 14:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't agree with VXR in any instance. There's no cientifical, fisical or any other kind of logical explanation to the phrase "fwd turbo don't work on the track."

Perhaps Top Gear's Clarkson think so, but is not true. Torque figures are torque figures...doesn't matter if "x" torque are obtained from a turbo 1.6 or a 2.0 n/a.

Sure turbo cars have other issues, such as turbo lag, turbo size choice and so on, but keep in mind that if it's torque you want, with turbo torque you got!

In the dragstrip I wouldn't think twice about fit the turbo in, but as you said you want a balance...I don't know the weight of the 2.0liters engines...but turbo kits with intercoller are not really light. Perhaps in the end gets the same...the difference is that you don't need a new engine to do it.

And don't forget that the turbo goes on the nose of the car, making it more front weight than normal.

Turbos well installed, don't have any problems regarding to track use, in 1, 2 or 24hours.

About cornering exist...yes, will never traction equally to a rear wheel drive under same conditions, but with right gear box, right tire size and compound and a proper suspension will work just fine.

Just to make me clear, turbo is not a disavantage, only the car need to be set for it.

Cheers!
pomada

20th Dec 06 at 14:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh...and don't forget...it's all a matter of "how fast" you wanna go. The faster, the deeper solutions you will need, more money and time you will spend. If you want the car just for fun, that's one thing, if you want to compete against one or another car, or clock a lap at a specific low time...that's another!
Daimo B

20th Dec 06 at 14:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorry, Not understanding that?

You've said you disagree with me, then have gone onto agree with some of my point?

Turbo engines deliver the power in huge dollops low down the rev range. When your exiting a corner, you don't want a huge surge in power, you want a smooth power delivery.

Its not all about outright power and torque on a race track.

Thats where many of these replied are going? V6 etc... You can't just do things like that with a track car...

You need car balance, sharpness, handling, quick response, smooth power.... Turbo engines CAN be made to do this, if your a race team, with your own RR, your own setup station, and £1000's of pound worth of adjustable suspension... Teddy doesn't have this Does anyone here??? A track car isn't just a case of putting a big engine in a car and driving (or trying to).

WE're talking about a race track, not a 1/4 mile strip with this topic.

Also tuning the smaller engines with more power will increase chances of it being un-reliable, especially a turbo'd X16 engine.

Also, as previously said, a LET engine was never intended for track action, the 20XE came from the track (yes i know its the same engine, but its not really).

Turbo engines are fine on track (i thought i'd already said this), but not for a sub 1 tonne FWD Corsa.... It'll just spin up and be very hard to drive, control, and get round a track quickly...

Hence why i've seen small sub 2.0 cars out perform some twin turbo big jap cars, mainly becuase the car had been setup right.
Daimo B

20th Dec 06 at 14:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorted teddy, you want torque.....

Bung one of those 1.9 150bhp CDTi units in it then..
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

20th Dec 06 at 14:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

suspension is important, my H&R coilovers have served well, just got to sort out my ledas!
pomada

20th Dec 06 at 15:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR
Turbo engines deliver the power in huge dollops low down the rev range. When your exiting a corner, you don't want a huge surge in power, you want a smooth power delivery.

That's a question of setup. You have a myriad of turbo sizes to chose. Also you have the size and function of your engine...high flow headers for example.

Again, there's no cientifical proof of such tale that turbo engine don't work on track. And, I don't know why you keep saying that the car needs to be heavy to traction. That's total empirical and have no relation with reality.

Each tire have a amount of traction, and how much more weight you put over it, more he looses on traction - fact, please consider in buy a book explaining how a tire work arund a track.

If what you are saying was truth, turbo engines wouldn't been forbidden or limited on the competition. Doesn't matter if the has the traction on 4, 3, 6 or 8 wheels, turbo engines on the same size always are faster around a track.

I'm not tolding you my experience against my dude twinturbo master blaster car, I'm only talking about the cars racing around.

Sure, Teddy is not from a mega team, doesn't have the money or time do develop the best fwd car of all time...but, he asked for a opinion on how develop his car. And my opinion is not equal to yours, that's normal.

1.6 16v turbo can be really enjoyable, the torque curve can be modified with different turbo size, that's why is important the think a lot and talk a lot more before choose your turbo.

If you think you have to much or to little torque, you can lower or raise the pressure. Very simple to be honest.

I'm not saying is the best choice for Tedy, only offering him my point of view. Turbo cars are nice, and are not overpriced to built as you are intending to say.

And turbo have a lot of changeable factors, wich can make we learn a lot about our car, traction and power.

Cheers.
pomada

20th Dec 06 at 15:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR
Thats where many of these replied are going? V6 etc... You can't just do things like that with a track car...

You need car balance, sharpness, handling, quick response, smooth power.... Turbo engines CAN be made to do this, if your a race team, with your own RR, your own setup station, and £1000's of pound worth of adjustable suspension... Teddy doesn't have this Does anyone here??? A track car isn't just a case of putting a big engine in a car and driving (or trying to)....

...Turbo engines are fine on track (i thought i'd already said this), but not for a sub 1 tonne FWD Corsa.... It'll just spin up and be very hard to drive, control, and get round a track quickly...

My man, that's not true. The power/weight ratio is always favourable to the lighter and powerfull car. The torque curve can be changeable without cam exchange and other mods very complicated to do on the "heat" of the track, that's the fun on turbo. It's not complicated as you are saying...

...and about the setup on suspension...well, expect to spend money on suspension...but that's totally normal. If you don't think that way, you will get what you keep saying "spin spin spin"...but not only money, also work.

What I have to say is that work seting up a car is great, we learn and have fun...MacDonnalds kits are not fun and don't perform better...work on our car is a great satisfaction in my ponit of view.

Cheers!

[Edited on 20-12-2006 by pomada]
Daimo B

20th Dec 06 at 15:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pomada

That's a question of setup. You have a myriad of turbo sizes to chose. Also you have the size and function of your engine...high flow headers for example.

WE're talking about a practically standard engine here, C20LET, kkk16 turbo, probably phase 2. A LET will not work well in a Corsa Track car.
Again, there's no cientifical proof of such tale that turbo engine don't work on track. And, I don't know why you keep saying that the car needs to be heavy to traction. That's total empirical and have no relation with reality.

Each tire have a amount of traction, and how much more weight you put over it, more he looses on traction - fact, please consider in buy a book explaining how a tire work arund a track.

I know how a tyre damn well works, and a Turbo engine weighs a lot, causes MASSIVE understear which is quite hard to sort out on a normal corsa, let alone one with an engine about 50+kg over the standard engine weight, and its even further forward over the front wheels. It WILL not handle on track. We have a 2.0 16v AND a 2.0 16v Turbo corsa, so im quite aware on how both cars will handle.

If what you are saying was truth, turbo engines wouldn't been forbidden or limited on the competition. Doesn't matter if the has the traction on 4, 3, 6 or 8 wheels, turbo engines on the same size always are faster around a track.

I disagree.... Quite a lot as well. If this was the case, why arn't all motor racing sports done using turbochargers?? Hardly any form of track motorsport uses turbo, ok the Leon Cupra Cup, and SOME of the GT series racing cars, but otherwise, people do not use them that often.

I'm not tolding you my experience against my dude twinturbo master blaster car, I'm only talking about the cars racing around.

We're talking about a track specific race car, we say track as in Silverstone Race track, or your Brazillian GP circuit Sao Largos

Sure, Teddy is not from a mega team, doesn't have the money or time do develop the best fwd car of all time...but, he asked for a opinion on how develop his car. And my opinion is not equal to yours, that's normal.

Yup, thats fair enough fella, but i still highly disagree from experience that a LET may produce an overal faster lap time due to more power on the straights, but set both cars at the same power, and the NA engine will perform better on track as its more drivable.

1.6 16v turbo can be really enjoyable, the torque curve can be modified with different turbo size, that's why is important the think a lot and talk a lot more before choose your turbo.

If you think you have to much or to little torque, you can lower or raise the pressure. Very simple to be honest.

I'm not saying is the best choice for Tedy, only offering him my point of view. Turbo cars are nice, and are not overpriced to built as you are intending to say.

They are over here dude, its very expensive over here to do pretty much most things to your car, especially a engine tuned one. What your talking about requires money, and lots of it. Most people only use 1 form of turbo on the X16 engines over here. You guys turbo everything, 1.0, 1.2's, i've seen so many images from Brazil. Over here, we've probably got 10 turbo'd 1.6 16v Corsas at the max. Its a lot cheaper and more benificial to jsut go with a larger engine.

And turbo have a lot of changeable factors, wich can make we learn a lot about our car, traction and power.

Yeah, you can change a lot more with turbocharges, but, as said, its money, time, setting up.. I think Teddy wants a good platform to start from, them improve on, and in my opinion, an NA engine is the way forward.

Ant

20th Dec 06 at 15:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

damo turbo's have been outlawed from most forms of motorsport....

F1
BTCC
WRC

Just to name a few
Daimo B

20th Dec 06 at 15:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know....

I don't get it, we've got both cars, i've driven both enough to ahve a good understand on how botha 2.0 and a 2.0 turbo corsa will handle.

Simply, a LET won't get round the bends and out of them as quickly as a NA engined corsa would.

Espcially a stripped out rear corsa. Huge weight at the front, no weight at the back. You may as well bung the V6 in there instead.

LET + F28 is a DAMN site heavier than an XE with F16/F20 is.

[Edited on 20-12-2006 by VXR]
John

20th Dec 06 at 15:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

VXR is your fwd turbo not the best thing since a go kart out on track?
Robin
Premium Member

20th Dec 06 at 15:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

WTF are you arguing about?
mwg

20th Dec 06 at 15:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

something to do with a plane on a conveyor belt IIRC
Daimo B

20th Dec 06 at 15:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
VXR is your fwd turbo not the best thing since a go kart out on track?

Re-read what i've written previously.

Also, i said the VXR handles great as a standard Vauxhall (as previous models never have). It went well, but still suffered from understear exiting the corners when it came on boost. Which is what im saying...

Reduce the weight by 500kg, increase the power, and it'll be all over the place.

Fair enough, everyones entitled to an opinion. Just wonder how many of the opinions are based on facts and experience over reading something on a website and writing it.
John

20th Dec 06 at 15:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I didn't read any of it tbh.
Daimo B

20th Dec 06 at 15:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its a good post, dont turn it into a retards thread with useless input then...

And for those that can't read what im saying, im not saying turbo are bad, im saying FWD, 200+bhp, huge dollops of torque, not smooth, and in a Corsa will not work.

Ok, Turbos work BETTER in newer age Hot hatches like the Focus, Astra, Leon etc... But then they've had millions of pound development put into them. Putting it in a diddy car, weight well over the front wheels, its simple racing logic, it won't handle well..... Aye, put it to RWD in a Corsa, it'll go like stink, but we're still talking about FWD here....

And this is from someone who loves FWD cars...

[Edited on 20-12-2006 by VXR]
pomada

20th Dec 06 at 15:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But mate, you can disagree things, but just look around...you wanna know why there's a lot of all motor competiotions? Because it's forbidden turbo on them. I'm not saying all motor is not nice or something, but don't deceive yourself with false hopes. Turbo engines, when allowed, even half of the displacement, win races. That's a fact from the simplest form of competition to the more complicated one.

I don't know if it's expensive to turbo a car on england or not...and I can imagine is more simple to simply folow the american logic and put a 2liter inside the bay with 160hp and be happy.

But, it's not fact will perform better than a turbo, not a fat at all!

I'm sugesting him to turbo his 1.6 16v. That's a fair plataform...and he can go increasing the power hand by hand and adjusting his car every time he can. That's fun and it's not expensive...also make us more experienced.

And, well, what I like here in this forum, is look in the "projects and builds" section and see the owners and friends working on the cars! That's great, and is possible to turbo a car that way. Very simple indeed.

I have personal friend, who turbo a 1.0 single injectors Fiat Uno at his garage, without any knowledge about mechanics...simple done. He first raised the compression ratio and later put the turbo kit....well, running on gas, in the first week he broke the engine...by this you can see the how far his knowledge of how a engine works go. But then he fixed, lowered the compression ratio, and now running on alchool, he's faster than a 98 Civic Type R...he did it alone, without knowledge or much money.

So, experiene tells me, it's not expensive to turbo a car on England, Brasil, Norwich or Iraq. It's expensive if you are intending to take the wheels of a Nismo Skyline driven by Tsuchya san....

So, yes, it will be great a 2.0 liter car! And will be great a 1.6 liter turbo too.
Both will be ok, the one who receives more attention and work will be faster.

I believe so...
pomada

20th Dec 06 at 16:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

And for those that can't read what im saying, im not saying turbo are bad, im saying FWD, 200+bhp, huge dollops of torque, not smooth, and in a Corsa will not work.

You like to talk about experience...but don't forget a lot of people have experience. If you can't make work, doesn't mean we all can't make work!

Don't offend people experience or inteligence saying that what you do is a fact and others experience are worthless.

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Lets see if we can instigate some constuctive input..... 22 database queries in 0.0153489 seconds