corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » spraying with rattle cans

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author spraying with rattle cans
Kano

User status: Offline
23rd Dec 06 at 19:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
where do you get your spray cans from mate? out of interest

A local company called autopaint. They supply to the trade but they do an aerosol service aswell. I usually take down the petrol flap, they colour match it, mix the paint, put it in an aerosol and ive not yet had a tin that spurts or stutters the way crap makes do.. The nozzles they use spray in a fan aswell so its not circular like crap makes (if that makes sense).

The laquer I use is autoclear.. Considering it comes from a tin its amazing. I'll post some pics of a wing I've just painted, will give you an idea..
Steve
Premium Member

23rd Dec 06 at 19:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by abdus
sprayed with rattle cans:

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/carimages/4472/A011.jpg

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/carimages/4472/P1000096.JPG

see that looks good on a wheel, but on a panel that would look flat imo
Steve
Premium Member

23rd Dec 06 at 19:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kano
quote:
where do you get your spray cans from mate? out of interest

A local company called autopaint. They supply to the trade but they do an aerosol service aswell. I usually take down the petrol flap, they colour match it, mix the paint, put it in an aerosol and ive not yet had a tin that spurts or stutters the way crap makes do.. The nozzles they use spray in a fan aswell so its not circular like crap makes (if that makes sense).

The laquer I use is autoclear.. Considering it comes from a tin its amazing. I'll post some pics of a wing I've just painted, will give you an idea..

TBPH iv only ever tried halfords crap and its been awful

other stuff might well be better
bieransri

23rd Dec 06 at 19:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by abdus
sprayed with rattle cans:

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/carimages/4472/A011.jpg

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/carimages/4472/P1000096.JPG

see that looks good on a wheel, but on a panel that would look flat imo

wouldnt that look flat on anything as its matt black. the reason it doesnt there is because its laquered
Steve
Premium Member

23rd Dec 06 at 19:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ah if thats matt black then yes agreed its bound to look like that
abdus

23rd Dec 06 at 19:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

matt black and laquered
TNM

23rd Dec 06 at 20:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Halfords No wonder steve.

Paints4u stuff is aways good.

Spend enough time preping, sanding between coats etc dont rush will look spot on.
Gregor

24th Dec 06 at 02:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cans.

Its not perfect and Ive never said it was.
Nic Barnes

24th Dec 06 at 02:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i was waiting for you to post up as you seem to work wonders with cans
nova_gteuk

24th Dec 06 at 03:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive just sparayed a wing jacko gave me with rattle cans 3 for a tenner from halfords,and ive put the wing on my car and u cant tell the diffrence,aslong as u prep it right it should come out ok
Gavin
Premium Member

24th Dec 06 at 09:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my old man did my front and back bumpers with cans.

.... and caribic blue is a hard colour to match as it kidda 'flips' between a blue-green colour

these pictures were taken about 1-2 years after being spray... and as you can see the colour was starting to fad on the bumpers... however, the pictures did make it look more obvious than it was

its do-able if your on a budget or damn handy with a can!

[Edited on 24-12-2006 by Gavin]

pew pew pew pewwwww
Steve
Premium Member

24th Dec 06 at 11:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

noone can tell anything by pics, so its pointless posting them and saying look its fine etc etc
Danny W
Organiser: East Midlands
Premium Member

24th Dec 06 at 12:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I Agree with steve pictures are very deceiving, you cant really tell what the finish is like untill you see it in person.

right then, obviously the quality of a job done with rattle cans will never be to the same standard & finish as a job done with gun & compressor (even then it depends if your any good at spraying), BUT on a budget you can get a fairly good finish with cans, IF you take your time & prep the pannel properly.

My old man has been in the trade for years & hates using cans due to the crap quality of the paint & crap finish of the laquer, but he has sprayed with cans for repair jobs on the family cars etc. & they have come out well with a good finish (over 30 years experience) but the paint will fade a lot quicker due to the quality.
we never use the stuff you can buy from halfords due to the quality of the paint, can & nozzle is very poor, its always best to spend that little extra an buy a good quality paint.

going back to first post, on a budget for small jobs yes you can get a fairly good finish IF you know what your doing, its all down to experience & practice, just remember to spend a couple of ££ more on a better paint

[Edited on 24-12-2006 by Danny W]

Smoke Grey 5 Door

EastMids Regional Events
Graeme
Premium Member

24th Dec 06 at 16:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cans are ok if ur doing say a bumper and ur not to bothered about it but they are just not the same as a proper paint out a gun with a clear over base!

i personally hate using cans due to being a paint sprayer but you can get good results if you take your time and i would always buy a can of laquer to spray a few coats after as the paint out the can is never fully gloss and dries a bit matt!
radicalry00

12th Apr 07 at 19:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've just finished doing my boot with rattle cans and going to laquer it tomorrow. I'm well happy with the results.

I'm going to laquer it then leave it a week or so and then use some G3 compound and it should hopefully come up like new! (I did my wing a few week back and you can't tell the difference)
ed

12th Apr 07 at 19:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For small jobs though, you can get a gravity fed gun and small compressor for such a small ammount of cash. Once you have got that stuff you can do all sorts of little odds and ends. Take a look at CorsAsh's setup in his Garage...
ed

12th Apr 07 at 19:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Once you have used a gun too you will understand why rattle cans are crap. They don't have enough pressure...
Ant

12th Apr 07 at 19:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

old threal lol but ed is right in what he is saying, however it can be dificult for people who dont have a workshop, I myself have access to guns compresser etc but nowhere to do it.
Neo

12th Apr 07 at 20:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I only ever use rattle cans on interior plastic and stuff.

I can't see how the finish can be amazing on exterior, even if the paint is amazing, and the painter has talent, the lacquer could let you down
but with high quality products, i guess it could look good
ed

12th Apr 07 at 20:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

[geek]Shame Glasurit doesn't make rattle cans of laquer really [/geek]
Neo

12th Apr 07 at 20:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
[geek]Shame Glasurit doesn't make rattle cans of laquer really [/geek]

no i used a laquer a while back, before i used it i thought it looked good, after a while it looked crap, thats all i'm trying to say.
ed

12th Apr 07 at 20:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was just making a stupid comment on how it would be good if you could get some really high quality laquer in cans. Blahh, never mind
radicalry00

12th Apr 07 at 20:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I understand what people are saying about compressors being better but I've had pretty good results with cans.

All I had to do was the boot so buying a compressor just wouldn't have been cost-effective.
I'll post some pics next week of how it looks.
little_duke

12th Apr 07 at 22:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wheels is the furthest i would go with a rattle can mate tbh.dont touch paint work.it comes out poo

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » spraying with rattle cans 23 database queries in 0.0148900 seconds