corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Servers - WTF makes them so heavy!

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Servers - WTF makes them so heavy!
Steve
Premium Member

User status: Offline
29th Jan 08 at 20:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dell being better?
Tim
Site Administrator

29th Jan 08 at 20:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No Not by a long way...
Steve
Premium Member

29th Jan 08 at 20:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont know what newer hp stuff is like but the older stuff was rubbish compared to dell a few years ago
Tim
Site Administrator

29th Jan 08 at 20:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The old Compaq stuff? Even that was built like a brick shit-house...

Dell are very cheap (which I guess is why they're pretty popular). They're a bit cheap and cheerful though IMO -- a bit like comparing their laptops to IBM/Lenovo.

Main reason we don't use them though is the HP Blade solution is much much much better (which is the way a lot of big datacentres are going to reduce infrastructure mgmt costs), and Dell didn't support Solaris 10 well on their kit.

[Edited on 29-01-2008 by Tim]
Steve
Premium Member

29th Jan 08 at 20:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont think they are the servers we buy are a fully housed metal cases, the front panel is metal with holes in, and as stated in the first post, weigh a fooking ton.

inside the plastics used are solid enough
Tim
Site Administrator

29th Jan 08 at 21:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Who buys rackmount servers that aren't metal-cased?

I used to work for a Dell-only ISP, but now I've worked with HP for a couple of years I don't know that I could go back (and I have played with Dells latest as we're always getting sent demo kit).
Steve
Premium Member

29th Jan 08 at 21:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im not talking about rack mounts we dont deal with rack mounts much
MikeD

29th Jan 08 at 21:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what hardware is used for this site?
Tim
Site Administrator

29th Jan 08 at 21:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dell 1850 -- bought when I still worked for the ISP

If I made the decision now it would be an HP DL385 G2. The HP SmartArray RAID Controller also completely blows the Dell PERC5 out the water from our benchmarks...

[Edited on 29-01-2008 by Tim]
MikeD

29th Jan 08 at 21:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What cache do the Perc 5's have, Ill always go for 512mb on the smartarrays?

unfortunately peoples decisions will always be on cost not performance.
Tim
Site Administrator

29th Jan 08 at 21:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah bigger the better really, although we only bother with 128Mb (battery backed) for compute nodes. The SmartArray just appears to perform much better than any of the LSI Logic based cards found on the Dell PERCs and Sun Galaxy (x-series) servers.

Performance is important in my industry, but most datacentres have bigger issues with the power/cooling requirements for newer denser hardware. Performance per watt per sq-ft is rapidly becoming more important than just the purchase price of the box (plus the management costs/TCO).

James

29th Jan 08 at 21:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tim what do you do at Deutsche?
MikeD

29th Jan 08 at 21:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im sure your working with large budgets to afford all this, unfortunately im a consultant for 18 smaller companys of about 15 - 50 users 1 - 5 servers that like to be tight when spending on IT...
James

29th Jan 08 at 21:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Deutsche have a very large budget
Tim
Site Administrator

29th Jan 08 at 21:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I work in Architecture & Engineering (Unix team).

I suppose if you're buying 1-5 servers at a time (like my old work) the purchase price is pretty important. The decision just gets a little more tricky when you're buying and managing thousands of the bastards
MikeD

29th Jan 08 at 21:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Now that i would enjoy (although dont have the first clue about Unix) I wouldnt mind a year or 2 down london working for a big firm.
pow
Premium Member

29th Jan 08 at 22:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

HP all fucking day

But our 2 HP servers at work weigh i foooking tonne as well!

[Edited on 29-01-2008 by pow]
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

30th Jan 08 at 05:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by MikeD
Im sure your working with large budgets to afford all this, unfortunately im a consultant for 18 smaller companys of about 15 - 50 users 1 - 5 servers that like to be tight when spending on IT...

I work with the cheapest people in the face of this earth, but at the end of the day I'm the cunt who quotes, configures, installs and then SUPPORTS it, so I will always go for HP. Theres been a few times I've quoted HP gear but they have then gone and installed dell cause its cheap, pity.
Jules

30th Jan 08 at 13:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OMG it's a geek war!

Fight you nerds FIGHT!

Sorry I'm tired

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll