corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Vauxhall Astra Sport 2005+ 1.9cdti, opinions wanted

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Vauxhall Astra Sport 2005+ 1.9cdti, opinions wanted
davcohen

User status: Offline
3rd Feb 08 at 15:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
200bhp will need big increases to boost

i would disagree with that, comparing it to the old isuzu lumps a touch more fuelling and about 3-4 psi more boost gave a good increase and these are lower powered engines
Steve
Premium Member

3rd Feb 08 at 15:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i mean big increases for the turbo size, to get 50bhp from the small standard turbo will be pushing it fairly hard

[Edited on 03-02-2008 by Steve]
Steve
Premium Member

3rd Feb 08 at 15:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

50bhp increase on the vag k03s needs about 11psi increase

davcohen

3rd Feb 08 at 15:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
i mean big increases for the turbo size, to get 50bhp from the small standard turbo will be pushing it fairly hard

Im not expert but again from a standard Isuzu td 1.7 with no mods apart from fuelling and boost will see 82bhp > 105bhp+

Steve
Premium Member

3rd Feb 08 at 15:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes im not disagreeing with you, im saying the tuning boxes dont alter boost so you wont get very far with them, certainly nothing even close to 50bhp increases

ARD1

3rd Feb 08 at 15:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

vag are different to the common rail in vaux and bmw etc, i saw a 36bhp increase with a box from thornby motors on my engine and 48nm of torque
Steve
Premium Member

3rd Feb 08 at 15:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ARD1
vag are different to the common rail in vaux and bmw etc, i saw a 36bhp increase with a box from thornby motors on my engine and 48nm of torque

there is no difference in principle, big power comes from more boost, you cant get power from nowhere

yeah you can tweak with fueling and timing, but that wont give you anywhere near 50bhp

mk4_astra

3rd Feb 08 at 15:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my dad have one for the weekend as a test drive just like bjackso2x

the 150bhp cdti model goes well and revs rather nicely for a diesel, with the 18s in bjackso2x picture and sport mode on the car is very planted and handles well.

a wolloping amount of torque is on tap from something silly like 1900rpm, and the car did have abit of torque steer but nothing wild.

personally would be more tempted with the 200bhp petrol sri but the 150bhp diesel is a very good substitute
MatG

3rd Feb 08 at 17:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Steve I will be careful in what I say but there are a lot of cars with these boxes that have been rolling roaded. At different RR days all over the country.

The engines are meant to be around 150BHP although some have come out higher as standard.

Results for the boxes are between 184 upto 200BHP.

So you can make up your own mind regarding them.

From a personal point of view I would prefer to have a remap and I will map the FR not put a box on. However there is a lot to be said for the boxes in terms of cost (£250 per unit) they can be transfered to other cars, removed for servicing (if car is under warrenty), or even sold on once you sell the car.

So they do have a fair few advantages its just wether or not you are happy with the increase in power and the possible effect it is having on the components its connected too.

[Edited on 03-02-2008 by MatG]
Steve
Premium Member

3rd Feb 08 at 17:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

most rolling roads are worthless anyway, show me a printout from a respectable rolling road and i might change my mind

either that or show me that the dtuk boxes do alter boost, in which case its perfectly possible
MatG

3rd Feb 08 at 17:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I am just stating the facts steve nothing more.
Steve
Premium Member

3rd Feb 08 at 17:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nothing factual about rolling roads
MatG

3rd Feb 08 at 17:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Steve you are hiding behind a statement that anyone can pull out of the bag.

Agreed nothing factual about rolling roads but when it comes down to it within the modified car market its how 95% of the owners will find out the power of thier cars.

I have nothing more to say on the matter I just giving you some information based on results not opinion.
Steve
Premium Member

3rd Feb 08 at 17:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i see no results, only your words, i want to see printouts dammit, and from reputable places otherwise the words are meaningless
VegasPhil
Premium Member

3rd Feb 08 at 17:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Guy at work has a 1.7 CDTI Astra Sxi Estate. Awesome Car

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
Steve
Premium Member

3rd Feb 08 at 17:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

even better a printout before dtuk box and after dtuk box, on the same rr on the same day

ta
Rob H

3rd Feb 08 at 18:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
even better a printout before dtuk box and after dtuk box, on the same rr on the same day

ta

Get over yourself mate . I'm sure you're quite able to use the search facility on some of the more obvious Astra/diesel websites if you're that bothered.

"Willy waving" Facts and figures aside, I've read plenty of genuine reports where people have been "playing" in various Astra convoys to shows and events where people with mapped cars, and people with standard 200BHP petrol and even VXR's, where they've made comments as to the lack in performance differences between their own, and the 'boxed' cars.

[Edited on 03-02-2008 by Rob H]
Steve
Premium Member

3rd Feb 08 at 18:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

look either the dtuk boxes alter boost, or 200bhp isnt happening, FACT

if they alter boost then fair enough, i was told they dont.

Rob H

3rd Feb 08 at 18:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

From what I recall, the only person to say they don't increase boost is you .
Steve
Premium Member

3rd Feb 08 at 18:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im passing on information that came from someone else, i did have a quick browse on teh website and could see no mention of boost being increased.

also i know of other "tuning boxes" that definatly dont alter boost
Rob H

3rd Feb 08 at 18:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can only imagine the ECU realises there's more fuel, and ups the boost to try and lean out the mixture. It's a pretty crude way of doing it, but if it works and the engine doesn't throw up any warning lights, most people probably assume "it's all ok".

I can share your doubts about it, but then i'm not a massive fan of increasing power by a thrid on an otherwise standard engine anyway...
22B

3rd Feb 08 at 18:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Didnt someone on here have one of these on their corsa C, and got a lot less then they expected when they had it rolling roaded?
Steve
Premium Member

3rd Feb 08 at 18:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that was jm_16v i think and yes he only got about 10bhp more

Rob H

3rd Feb 08 at 18:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What did he get? If it's the 1.7CDTi engine, they're meant to get a gain of around 20 brake IIRC?
Steve
Premium Member

3rd Feb 08 at 19:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

about 10bhp iirc and he has other mods, i also dont see why the 1.7 would get 20bhp and the 1.9 get over twice the hike

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Vauxhall Astra Sport 2005+ 1.9cdti, opinions wanted 23 database queries in 0.0161180 seconds