corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Gym Etiquette

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Gym Etiquette
AdZ9

User status: Offline
27th Feb 08 at 12:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Indeed holding onto the bar can do that to you, if you spend your life on the treadmill. The reason I hold on is because i have it on the highest incline and about a 6.0/6.5 speed so i'm at the point of starting to jog but keeping it at a fast walk. If i let go of the bar i'll have to jog or walk faster which will elevate my HR, if i hold on i can keep a steady pace for 40min or so which is perfect for what i need.

Then again i'm not doing SSCV anymore and doing HIIT instead as its half the time and double the benefits.

My point being Carl is why does it piss you off that people hold onto the bar when doing it? Its not as if its your bar their holding onto etc, so why does it bother you? Its this type of "elitist" attitude that gives people low confidence when going to the gym.

And yes, it would be much better if you could do that please, and also refer and link to all sources of information you use in your research, thank you.
Carl

27th Feb 08 at 13:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AdZ9
The reason I hold on is because i have it on the highest incline and about a 6.0/6.5 speed so i'm at the point of starting to jog but keeping it at a fast walk. If i let go of the bar i'll have to jog or walk faster which will elevate my HR, if i hold on i can keep a steady pace for 40min or so which is perfect for what i need.

if this is the case then you decrease the incline or speed, if doing the exercise properly is leading to a higher heart rate than require, then surely you do it at the correct form and the correct speed, which would still create the deisred heart rate? I can't see how you can argue against that? its comaprable to saying the weight is too heavy but if i swing i'll be ok, rather than picking the right weight and doing the exercise correctly.

it pisses me off because people have spent x amount of years developing their skills in walking and running, then seem to deside to throw common sense out of the window and develop a zombie like walk as though its some kind of bucking bronco.

Both bits of information have links?

AdZ9

27th Feb 08 at 14:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends how you do it, see i don't cling on for dear life i barely hold it and make sure i keep my posture and i still walk properly when doing it. Lets just say that it definately works for it, and i haven't been hindered in anyway shape or form, it helps me cut when i'm on my cut and it works perfectly, so as they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it

I know they do, it was sarcasm.
jacko198

27th Feb 08 at 15:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Realllly old men wearing tiny shorts, god its just horrible

Old men wearing a pair of marigolds (yellow rubber gloves) to lift weights

And weird camp looking men who come over saying "you can doooo it!!"
Andy Stocker

27th Feb 08 at 18:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AdZ9
quote:
Originally posted by Andy Stocker
When doing a fat burn on the treadmill ( fast walk) you are supposed to hold the bar so it can read your heart rate so you can aim for the target heart rate etc

Exactly, but what do we know?

Nothing?
Craig W

27th Feb 08 at 21:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just got back from the gym, was training chest and dumbell pressing with 65's and some little twat stands inches away from me and the bench doing bicep curls, he nearly smacked me in the head with the bar when i sat up after my set. I usually have help getting the 65's into position before each set but didn't have a spotter tonight so getting them up and down before and after the set was difficult enough without having to worry about having my eye taken out by that knob cheese. He was only curling 7.5kg each side and then he threw the bar on the floor from standing height and nearly took my foot out too. He had plenty of space to do as he wished so not sure what he was playing at.
Marc

27th Feb 08 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have that problem on bench press too, theres always someone doing flys next to me!
Danny P

27th Feb 08 at 22:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had that tonight Craig.

Went down quite late as had other stuff to do tonight, so when I got there must have only been 4/5 people in there max. Started doing my Bicep Curls on used on the Benches to rest the bar on when i'd finished the sets. This bloke comes over & ask's how long I was going to be as he wanted to use the bench, not a problem with at all, apart from there were 4 other benches free

Didn't say anything though, guy was a monster
Craig W

27th Feb 08 at 22:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rest the bar on the floor, not the benches!
mattk

27th Feb 08 at 22:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

was gonna say, thats one of my Beefs, people using benches to rest bars/dumbells on

not so bad if theres a few empty benches
Danny P

27th Feb 08 at 22:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Too much effort to bend all the way down to pick it up again then

EDIT - There was nobody at all within the free weights area apart from me.

[Edited on 27-02-2008 by Danny P]
A1EX

28th Feb 08 at 14:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Danny P
Had that tonight Craig.

Went down quite late as had other stuff to do tonight, so when I got there must have only been 4/5 people in there max. Started doing my Bicep Curls on used on the Benches to rest the bar on when i'd finished the sets. This bloke comes over & ask's how long I was going to be as he wanted to use the bench, not a problem with at all, apart from there were 4 other benches free

Didn't say anything though, guy was a monster

that guys probably writing somewhere, was at the gym tonight as some dude was using a bench to rest his barbell on, really annoys me etc etc
Danny P

28th Feb 08 at 18:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Probably
STEvieXE

28th Feb 08 at 20:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

resting weights on benches in the gym i used to go too and will be joining again when the home training isnt enough any more is kinda like a barring offence. will not be tolerated. ripping benches etc

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Gym Etiquette 23 database queries in 0.0077522 seconds