corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Does Engine Size Matter to you?

Poll: Does Engine Size Matter to you?
  Yes
  No

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Does Engine Size Matter to you?
rustyarchs

User status: Offline
12th Mar 08 at 01:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

used to be a thing with me

owned a 4.3, 4.0, 2.7 blah blah

now i couldnt care less as long as the car was quiet at 80mph and reliable
Colin

12th Mar 08 at 01:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Green Thing

Same with mine now, its the only thing that makes me want a bigger engine, lucky for me that I rarely need to take more than 1 passenger, I fear the day when I have 3 passengers and come to a steap hill, 1st gear all the way

I wouldnt stand for that, theres too much choice these days so why settle for something that struggles to do soething easy like tackle a hill without having to think about dropping gears or reving higher, when a few boab can buy a half decent car thats good all round. My cars a tool to get me places - mainly to work in comfort (not so now ive added the colovers ) & if it looks half good then im happy. It gets used, it gets abused, I dont have any great feelings for it, just so long as it does what I need it to do. If it cant manage that then im simply not interested!
Colin

12th Mar 08 at 02:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by rustyarchs

now i couldnt care less as long as the car was quiet at 80mph and reliable

Im feeling that

My cars disgusting just now, manky inside & out, the boot leaks & has sinse I got it, ive got a new mysterious puddle apeared on the rear passenger footwell - not sure where its coming from, tell folk its my water feature A bit of trim fell off so I hid it in the glove box. My newly painted front end is now stone chipped to buggery 3 months later, some clown drove into the back of me last week, & I think its funny. So long as its reliable, slightly quick, & looks ok I dont give a shit about anything else...........I could even say its only a car Something wrong with me?

[Edited on 12-03-2008 by Colin]
Ben D

12th Mar 08 at 02:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep i basically work non stop fri-sun only getting out of the car to sleep and even then i have more missed call's than an "I hate Cupra Steve Helpline" when i wake up

and i spend atleast £20-30 on petrol each day during the week

[Edited on 12-03-2008 by Ben D]
Adam C
Premium Member

12th Mar 08 at 02:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I put up with it because, even though it sounds really sad, I have some sort of attachment to the car

Ive been tempted with a 1.6 conversion later this year with my NCB coming up, Its not going to be something new or different and isn't going to be in competition with similar sized engine hatches but it should help me with hills

I could just buy a Corsa with a 1.6 In, but Im sad enough to want to keep mine instead of buy one already done

My Arden Blue Astra GSi MK4 on BBS LM's Project Thread
Colin

12th Mar 08 at 02:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben D
Yep i basically work non stop fri-sun only getting out of the car to sleep and even then i have more missed call's than "I hate Cupra Steve Helpline" when i wake up

and i spend atleast £20-30 on petrol each day during the week

[Edited on 12-03-2008 by Ben D]

What do you do like? What bout Mon-Fri?
Ben D

12th Mar 08 at 02:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Something of an entrepenuer through the week Really.

Weekend I suppose I'm a self employed salesman, but i have my finger's in alot of pies
Colin

12th Mar 08 at 02:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben D
Something of an entrepenuer through the week Really.

Weekend I suppose I'm a self employed salesman, but i have my finger's in alot of pies

Clearly the wrong ones if your working all weekend driving 6000 miles in a pug

Where did you drive to clock 6k in a weekend? Iraq
Ben D

12th Mar 08 at 02:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In a month not a weekend*

the majority of my driving is in greater manchester however this weekend i made 2 trips to warrington, Buxton & new Mills, wigan, Sheffield (getting lost in rotherham) and macclesfield, not all majorly far but i'm constantly going from one place to another pretty much without a break
Ben D

12th Mar 08 at 02:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Surprisingly both pug's have managed quite well... only problem i have had with the 307 is the backbox has snapped twice in just over a month....

the 206 however was a soldier even though a mechanic left the oil cap off after a service for 150 miles never broke once
Colin

12th Mar 08 at 02:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorry im starting to see things - its late

Still alot of miles, backbox snapping is a weird one
Ben D

12th Mar 08 at 02:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Happened on the 206 too.. i think its when i put then hammer down when i am running behind the backbox comes off but always seems to take the clamp with it and snaps the lip of the middlebox off

I only realised how many i have done, I bought it feb 08th i think on 56***K and it's now just crept onto 62K today
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

12th Mar 08 at 02:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i could never buy anythin lower than a 1.4 but i probably wouldn't get a 1.4 either if im buyin a new car i'd probably go up an engine size
breezy-1.4

12th Mar 08 at 02:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I like my 1.4 8v. its torquey and quite fun but not expensive to run and reliable.

and i dont have to get it serviced every 2 seconds etc where as you would with say an impreza or something silly. quite content with my underpowered griffin
Ben G

12th Mar 08 at 04:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i love having more power but at the moment the fiesta does the job fine, its great down twisty country lanes also. Cant wait for 220bhp but its not something i need.
Graham88

12th Mar 08 at 05:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not when the only real driving I do is for work = more MPG is important.

Be nice to have something with power for the weekends though
16V_1600

12th Mar 08 at 07:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had a 300bhp 2.0 Turbo MR2 which I miss dearly, and I got banned in my other MR2 for 110mph on the M1.

I now have a 1.6 Corsa B which in all honesty I don't mind, to say my previous car had 3 times as much power

It's fairly nippy and cheaper than the MR2 in all areas
waters

12th Mar 08 at 08:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It matters at the moment....my corsa'a 1.2 8 valve but looking for something slightly bigger 1.4 or 1.6 (not too big!)
Adam-D

12th Mar 08 at 08:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not at all with me

i can have fun whatever power/engine size i have
Fonz
Premium Member

12th Mar 08 at 08:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Green Thing
I know what you mean Colin about overtaking in a 1.0, I have only done it a couple of times on a dual carrigeway and thats only because the car in front was going slower much slower than the speed limit (e.g 40 in a 60), but on single roads I won't attempt to overtake unless the road ahead was clear and the vehicle was moving very slow(like a tractor)

thats a shame

i make the most of the 12v
regulary get 450miles a tank, twice have got 500+
i overtake regulary on both duel and singecarridgeway (when safe) and the car will sit comfortable, almost naturally at 60mph, and when i've some urgency is happier at 75-80 than at 70! i love my 12v as it does everything i want it to for me. i am however taking more passengers and filling the boot, taking longer journeys and looking forward to a bigger engine. the ability to trash (5k rpm) the car and know i'll only reach 70mph before i need to pull down a gear/brake for the upcoming corner is great.....its hard to do silly speeds in it yet doesnt stop putting a on my face!

edit: i voted no

[Edited on 12-03-2008 by Fonz]
JM_16v

12th Mar 08 at 08:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont think engine size matters but ithink power does, i agreewirh colin i think underpowered cars are unsafe on motorways etc.

i'd never own anything below a 1.6 unless it was a 1.4 turbo etc.

ive never owned anything to low thou
1.4 16v corsa
1.6 16v corsa
2.0 16v Golf Gti
1.6 16v Tigra
2.0 16v Corsa
1.6 16v 106 GTi

thats alot of cars in 2.5 years

[Edited on 12-03-2008 by JM_16v]
whitter45

12th Mar 08 at 08:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

engine size or power really doesn't matter to me

Its the way the power id delivered that counts
pow
Premium Member

12th Mar 08 at 09:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Couldnt go back to owning anything less than a 1.4.

I do alot of motorway miles, which is why I have a dirty derv
Whittie

12th Mar 08 at 09:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It doesn't really matter, but at the moment i'm loving 2.0 power. Once the novelty has warn off, i'd be more than happy with a 1.6 car. I think a 1.6 is enough power.

I'm not sure if i'd go back to a 1.2? If i had to due to money, i'd get a turbo diesel 306 or something.
mwg

12th Mar 08 at 09:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think I would struggle with anything less than 100bhp now. Unless the car was light enough to make up for it.

1.2 Corsas I had were hard work just to drive day to day to keep up with traffic so wouldn't want something like that again

[Edited on 12-03-2008 by Matty G]

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Does Engine Size Matter to you? 23 database queries in 0.0256829 seconds