corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » It's been written off :(

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author It's been written off :(
nova_gteuk

User status: Offline
10th Apr 08 at 12:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

insurance repairers, dont buy parts from scrapyards to repair.they buy brand new normally from the dealer.

So the £2400 repair cost makes it a cat b as it would be stupid for them to spend that much on a car thats not even worth that.

Thats what makes it a cat b not what parts it needs.

Plus id be thinking whether it needs to be jigged,knock like that could easily of bent the chasis leg.
16V_1600

10th Apr 08 at 12:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cat b is taking the piss surely?
tom_simes
Show Staff
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

10th Apr 08 at 12:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But still Phil, Cat B? I would much rather that be Cat C, at least if its purely down to the price of parts, as it seems very unfair that if Alex was to buy it back it would never see the road again.

I don't see it being extremely damaged as the insurance company haven't mentioned jigging being needed, just a new suspension unit.

I'd argue that I wanted that Cat C, even if I only got the £500 for it, I'd want Cat C unless they can tell me about structural damage of course.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

10th Apr 08 at 12:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tom, how can you argue when you havent seen the car in person? not looked under it or anything like that?

I agree its quite harsh to be a CAT B, but they dont do it for a laugh you know.
ShEp

10th Apr 08 at 12:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cat-b is harsh

it is a cat-c

The factor in this is thats its caused body (panel) and structural damage, also suspension

Too many areas have their boxes ticked

Argue about the bumper and bonnet, get an indipendant check done, im sure thats never a cat-b
tom_simes
Show Staff
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

10th Apr 08 at 12:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's what I was saying Will, I'd want them to tell me why its a Cat B - if they tell me it needs jigging, or the suspension turret is damaged etc, then fine I'd accept it, but if its purely because the cost of replacement parts is too expensive then I'd argue it.

[Edited on 10-04-2008 by tom_simes]
ShEp

10th Apr 08 at 12:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
Tom, how can you argue when you havent seen the car in person? not looked under it or anything like that?

I agree its quite harsh to be a CAT B, but they dont do it for a laugh you know.

they do it because to them it's a 1.4 flair worth £500 and they're not paying out to fix it

I doubt very much the damage warrants a cat-b

My sisters one was panned in, I did have a thread up a while ago and she had major structural damage to the rear pan el and boot floor, but hers was classed as a cat-c as its worth more due to it being newer and a better model
ShEp

10th Apr 08 at 12:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by tom_simes
That's what I was saying Will, I'd want them to tell me why its a Cat B - if they tell me it needs jigging, or the suspension turret is damaged etc, then fine I'd accept it, but if its purely because the cost of replacement parts is too expensive then I'd argue it.

[Edited on 10-04-2008 by tom_simes]

Insurance assessors work on a "what if" agenda

They've cat-b registered it as it 'may' need jigging, it's not worth the timne and hassle to fit all the parts and find out it is actually fecked
willay
Premium Member

10th Apr 08 at 12:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

we're all agreed that its harsh, but I wouldnt want to make a decision on the car without seeing it i person. Can't work out much from the single pic...apart from the wing is proper fucked
ShEp

10th Apr 08 at 12:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

folded
Joe

10th Apr 08 at 12:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The people of CS can tell that it is NOT cat B!
willay
Premium Member

10th Apr 08 at 12:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Joe
The people of CS can tell that it is NOT cat B!

and that my friend is 100% internet fact.
Ian W

10th Apr 08 at 12:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im sure the insurance assessor who has seen it is better to make a judgement on it than a load of corsa fans who have seen pictures

Buy it back and strip it, I imagine you would make quite a bit back.
nova_gteuk

10th Apr 08 at 12:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes but its not about being fair or unfair,its the way the insurance people work.

To them its category b,because they cant justify spending that much on such an old car.

Ive seen category b cars with less damage its their age that does it.

When i was 16 and my scooter got stolen i wanted to buy it back,but they wrote it off because of the panel damage,all brand new panels would of cost more than the bike they said,although i could a set for £100 and considering the bike was only 4 moths old with panel damage they still wrote it off.

Its the price of their repairs that write cars/bikes off.

And when they come out and check they cant tell if it has structural damage or not without getting it on a jig.

and ive seen loads of corsa's chasis legs bent just by the driver mounting the kerb.a car plowing into the side off it would certainly do structural damage imo
Joe

10th Apr 08 at 12:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Corsasport Insurance company anyone?
Ian W

10th Apr 08 at 12:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Surely is it was wrote off just due to cost it would be written off due being "uneconomical to repair".
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
10th Apr 08 at 12:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My guess is that there are chassis cracks somewhere either bulkhead, top mounts, slam panel etc. as that has been attributed to the accident.

This would render the shell unsuitable for "returning" to the road, even though most valver owners just put up with it.

If it is B it can only be broken for parts. Make sure whoever buys this knows it.

Do also bear in mind that reclassification can affect the payout. I know a guy had structural cab damage to a tipper van when one of his workman squashed it with the digger, that came out cat. B and they offered him a price for it and told him how much to buy it back. He said he wanted to put a new cab on it and return it to the road, they said you can do that i'll be a C but it'll cost three times as much to buy the salvage.
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

10th Apr 08 at 13:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

inner flitch panel is the killer on this one, all other parts are an easy fix but the flitch panel is a big job.
chloe16v

10th Apr 08 at 13:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this corsa is a cat c, so i dont know where they get cat b from on yours

Colin

10th Apr 08 at 13:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Chassis leg will be needing work hence Cat B.

I didnt think they offered Cat A & B for the owner to buy back, only C & D
Colin

10th Apr 08 at 13:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by cb87
this corsa is a cat c, so i dont know where they get cat b from on yours

Newer, worth many x more, might just be panel damage!?
fazza

10th Apr 08 at 13:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin
Chassis leg will be needing work hence Cat B.

I didnt think they offered Cat A & B for the owner to buy back, only C & D

me neither mate, was very surprised to hear this. thought only a licensed breaker could break it for bits minimum and definately not you
Whittie

10th Apr 08 at 14:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
My guess is that there are chassis cracks somewhere either bulkhead, top mounts, slam panel etc. as that has been attributed to the accident.

There's no chassis cracks / steering rack isn't bent, slam panel is straight

This would render the shell unsuitable for "returning" to the road, even though most valver owners just put up with it.

If it is B it can only be broken for parts. Make sure whoever buys this knows it.
Thats my plan out the window then, the lad wanted it on the road

Do also bear in mind that reclassification can affect the payout. I know a guy had structural cab damage to a tipper van when one of his workman squashed it with the digger, that came out cat. B and they offered him a price for it and told him how much to buy it back. He said he wanted to put a new cab on it and return it to the road, they said you can do that i'll be a C but it'll cost three times as much to buy the salvage.
Whittie

10th Apr 08 at 14:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dave A
inner flitch panel is the killer on this one, all other parts are an easy fix but the flitch panel is a big job.

Which panel is the inner flinch?

Dean_W

10th Apr 08 at 15:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's behind the headlight, front of the wing.

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » It's been written off :( 22 database queries in 0.0122762 seconds