corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Potentially life changing decisions :(

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Potentially life changing decisions :(
John

User status: Offline
14th Apr 08 at 12:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your on either no money or crap money for they 4 years at uni as well though.
andyc1234

14th Apr 08 at 12:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i just started my apprenticeship getting 180 quid a week. its not exactly crap money and it can only get better. plus i wont be 15k in debt when i finish. and i will have the same qualifications as someone who has been to uni and drunk there student loan away.
MarkM

14th Apr 08 at 12:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Your on either no money or crap money for they 4 years at uni as well though.

Yes but you can have a part-time job and go to uni....then if you take out student loans etc this virtually bumps it up to a semi-decent wage...

MarkM

14th Apr 08 at 12:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by andyc1234
and i will have the same qualifications as someone who has been to uni

With 1% of the fun...
John

14th Apr 08 at 12:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But then you'll come out of uni with debt and the apprentice will have no debt and be on a lot more money than your average graduate job. (I know all about the potential to make money with a degree etc and that some graduate jobs pay really well, etc etc etc)

I don't know if i'd do uni again given the chance.

I came out with a 500 quid student loan though.

Uni was shit, every bit of it, i'd have had more fun reading the sun and drinking tea plumbing somebodys toilet.

[Edited on 14-04-2008 by John]
Fonz
Premium Member

14th Apr 08 at 12:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont mean to argue the case, as personally i think more ppl should be learning through apprentiships, but certainly "back in the day" there was a "type" of person who went to university and it is (was) often this that attracted the employer rather than their degree and i am sure it relevant today to a degree (no pun intended). given the number of "mickey mouse" degrees out there the qualification means nothing, but the skills learnt and developed are what employers look for
andyc1234

14th Apr 08 at 12:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by MarkM
quote:
and i will have the same qualifications as someone who has been to uni

With 1% of the fun...

i can sit in a room and drink and smoke weed right where i am
Fonz
Premium Member

14th Apr 08 at 12:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it all really depends on the course. LAW or Maths requires a degree, no question and they can earn silly money, economics, friend of mine is on £40k and been in the job 18months, made me sick when i learnt she was "disappointed" with her £10k Xmas bonus all because the "current market climate" couldnt allow for more
MarkM

14th Apr 08 at 12:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fonz hit the nail on the head there...if you go to Uni and do a proper degree that has a defined career path it is without doubt the better option (generally) compared to an apprenteship as the earning capacity far exceeds any plumber...electrician...etc...again generally....

Obviously uni isnt for everyone and some people do well by going the other route...

Horses for courses...
andyc1234

14th Apr 08 at 12:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

depends what kind of job you want to go into. im doing engineering. im far more likely to find a good job having 4 years experience of doing the job than someone who is fresh out of uni with next to no practical experience

[Edited on 14-04-2008 by andyc1234]
MarkM

14th Apr 08 at 12:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Fonz
it all really depends on the course. LAW or Maths requires a degree, no question and they can earn silly money, economics, friend of mine is on £40k and been in the job 18months, made me sick when i learnt she was "disappointed" with her £10k Xmas bonus all because the "current market climate" couldnt allow for more

Exactly...

I did a Law degree...my wage slip brings a smile to my face every payday without doubt...
Fonz
Premium Member

14th Apr 08 at 12:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why thank you!

your right too, a labourer, skilled (parky, chippy, plumber) will have the potential for a better starting wage but you dont need the qualification (ok gas needs Corgi, but thats a certificate, not a qualification isnt it?)

horses for courses is exactly right!
deano87

14th Apr 08 at 12:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also, those that come out of Uni and can't find jobs are those student stereotypes.

I'm currently doing work experience with potential for employment, and lining up some more experience.

Most Uni's have great help in terms of CV's, getting work experience and so on - utilise it, and the chances of jobs are much better.

And it isn't all about money. It's about the privilege of doing a job you really enjoy.
MarkM

14th Apr 08 at 12:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by deano87
Also, those that come out of Uni and can't find jobs are those student stereotypes.

I'm currently doing work experience with potential for employment, and lining up some more experience.

Most Uni's have great help in terms of CV's, getting work experience and so on - utilise it, and the chances of jobs are much better.

And it isn't all about money. It's about the privilege of doing a job you really enjoy.

The people I find who are out of work after uni are people who do: Media Studies or Business Management

I mean FFS are they the most generalised subjects you could possibly do.

You're better off picking a specific line of work...and learning it inside out...
Fonz
Premium Member

14th Apr 08 at 12:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
depends what kind of job you want to go into. im doing engineering. im far more likely to find a good job having 4 years experience of doing the job than someone who is fresh out of uni with next to no practical experience

i'm inclined to argue......firstly what do you consider a a "good job"?

i am 22, have a BEng Honours degree in Mechanical Engineering upper second class (2:1) degree, i work as a "Structural Design Engineer" for Marshall Aerospace, THE name in Hercules maintanance, repairs and modification Internationally recognised. Second only to BAE Sytems in the UK for Aeronaughtical Engineering work purely cos they make it, we fix it

i am earning £25k and am one of forth highest earner out of my group of friends (beaten by Economists), i work on high profile projects for BOEING and am currently working with the RAF and RAAF with their Hercules fleet...i consider uni a well worth move

[Edited on 14-04-2008 by Fonz]
Fonz
Premium Member

14th Apr 08 at 12:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
You're better off picking a specific line of work...and learning it inside out...

career based degrees FTW!!!

the way universities are used to opperating
AndyKent

14th Apr 08 at 12:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I left school at 16 to train as a Building Surveyor.

Wasn't good money for the first couple of years, but my salary has almost doubled in the next 2. I have a brand new car and several thousand in savings, rather than owing money.

Unless I wanted to do something like Pharmaseuticals (sp) or law/maths etc etc, I would 100% make the same decision of not going to uni again.
MarkM

14th Apr 08 at 12:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I actually think TOO MANY people are going to university...it was better in the old days when it was only saved for the top achievers in school...

Now people go to uni and come out with 3rd or 2:2's.

If you go to uni and dont get a 2:1 (at least) its almost a waste of time...generally speaking...
Haimsey
Premium Member

14th Apr 08 at 12:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got a letter saying they were going up.

17k isnt too bad Deano

Im currently on just over 14k debt without my fees or loan for next year
Still dont get a bursary or grant - you know, the stuff working people dont ever get

Marcy Marc

White Sport Progress Thread
Fonz
Premium Member

14th Apr 08 at 12:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I actually think TOO MANY people are going to university...it was better in

MarkM - my new friend!!

we can't agree more! little point spending 3/4 years of your life, getting into £9+ debt and not have a qualification (and therefore job/career) that makes it worth while!

subject should be
Law
Maths
Sciences
Art
Engineering

that why there are
BSc
BA
and BEng
Haimsey
Premium Member

14th Apr 08 at 12:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Dont do Landlord and Tenant...its duller than Arsenals trophy cabinet this season...

Im doing property2 compulsory so figured it would go sort of hand in hand.
Beats doing the other 20 subjects that are all Immigration/Human Rights or EU shit

Marcy Marc

White Sport Progress Thread
andyc1234

14th Apr 08 at 12:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not too sure what i consider to be a good job at this minute in my life i still dont really know what i want to do when i finish my apprenticeship as i will be about 24 by then. i left it far too late after going to college
Phil321

14th Apr 08 at 12:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've never considered student loan to be a burden. Its based on salary so if you don't earn you don't pay. Hence, unlike other loans, you are less screwed if you lose your job.

And the loan is more than worth paying for the best 3/4yrs of your life. So much growing up to be done at Uni.

Anyone know the % of salary you pay back? I seem to recall its 9% of gross salary in excess of £15k.
Neo

14th Apr 08 at 12:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm somewhat in the same as aPK's situation, however finished after A-level with 2 C's.

Then jumped into a job, now into another earning a decent wage and enjoying myself.

Uni is for some and not for others i guess.
MarkM

14th Apr 08 at 12:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Haimsey
quote:
Dont do Landlord and Tenant...its duller than Arsenals trophy cabinet this season...

Im doing property2 compulsory so figured it would go sort of hand in hand.
Beats doing the other 20 subjects that are all Immigration/Human Rights or EU shit

Human Rights isnt too bad it just turns you into an argumentative fcuk...

Immigration would be interesting I think...

All I am saying is...after Land Law (which is compulsory as is Property in your LPC) if I could go back I wouldnt have chosen to do anything Property related as its very procedural most of it and it can be a bit dull...

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Potentially life changing decisions :( 23 database queries in 0.0140910 seconds