corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Corsa Sport 3.0 24v Project

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Corsa Sport 3.0 24v Project
dan-h

User status: Offline
1st Jun 08 at 22:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well i used to work with Dave A, he is the north east gaz coilovers distributer and sells a lot of suspension to people with say 2 litre conversions and recommends higher poundage front springs to them

dan-h

1st Jun 08 at 22:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bastard beat me to it
coldanconversions

2nd Jun 08 at 06:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers fellas, I'll prob look into swapping the springs once the engine's in, in the mean time I'll try work out just how much extra weight I'm gonna be carrying round.
coldanconversions

8th Jun 08 at 15:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Load of crap this weekend turned out to be...

Been preparing and painting mine and a mates Cally Turbo wheels.

His have turned out perfect, mine have reacted and look shite! They've got a patch hammered finish to them.

Can't work out what happened though as all 8 wheels were prepared the same, etch primered the same, painted by me using the same gun, and the same mix of paint at the same time, and then laquered by the same person.

The colour coat looked fine, but then when the 1k clearcoat went on mne just reacted straight away.... I'm well gutted!

So I now need to spend another load of money on paint, hardeners, thinners and clearcoat.

Big shame, cos the weather has been perfect for the paint hardening off today.
bubble

8th Jun 08 at 16:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by coldanconversions
Is that opinion or or experience? I've heard all sorts of things on this one, but who to listen to it's hard to tell.

What exactly is the extra weight we're talking about here anyway? Does anyone know? I've never actually heard anyone say that converting to a V6 adds an extra ?kg to your kerbweight... It seems to be a wierd unknown about this type of swap.

its common sense when having any further weight over the suspension to accomodate it with better equipment.

i had regular and higher poundage springs and difference is amazing.
johnhara1

25th Jul 08 at 11:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

updates?
coldanconversions

5th Oct 08 at 17:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Long time, no update

Partially I've been lazy and not bothered to update the thread, partially waiting for friggin bits to turn up (and I'm still waiting on some bits, four months on!), and partially 'cos I wound up in hospital a couple of months back with Glandular Fever...Mint!

Anyway here's some of the progress and I'll update thge rest over the next few days;

Tints have been done and I've fitted some Opel wind deflectors

Light tints in the fronts and medium in the rears, also fitted a Magnex box and Sportex mid pipe (mid pipe will be custom for the conversion though)

Meanwhile the engine was sent off to Drake's engine remanufacturers in Bradford for a rebuild.

While it was there they glaze busted all 6 bores, cleaned the pistons and fitted new piston ring kits.
The crank was polished, and the crank shells, big end bearings, big end bolts, main bolts and crank gear were all replaced and refitted.

When it came back it was time for some satin black VHT paint to refresh it's looks too

The heads we're stripped down and cleaned

Valves removed

Heads skimmed before being bathed

Next up was the valves. So I cleaned them all (picture is half done, half still to do)

Then once cleaned, the valved were put back in their original positions and lapped

The valve springs were back in and the tops on then the tiny, fiddly collets were put back in (all 48 of em!!! )

The rocker covers have arrived (metal Vectra X25XE ones) and have been treat to a splash of Isuzu Trooper Purple/Blue

The heads were torqued down (25Nm + 90deg + 90Deg + 90Deg + 15Deg - For anyone interested!), Cams were refitted (with smearings of pink Redline Engine Assembly Lube)

Rocker covers were rested on, by this time the engine has starter motor, alternator, 82 degrees thermostat, new water pump, oil pump, crank pos sensor, crank oil seal, lower inlet, oil pickup, spark plugs, sump, oil cooler and pipes all refitted.

This weekend we got the majority of the other bits stuck on (including the rocker covers properly)... All that's left is the timing belt kit which I've been given the wrong one, aux belt, oil filter, dip stick assembly and top inlet. The top inlet will have to wait though as it's sat in my living room half polished...

Phew.... Up to date!

Cheers, Col.

James_H

5th Oct 08 at 17:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looking good
Adam-D

6th Oct 08 at 08:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks very good.

you may have already said, what gear box are you using and are you using a lsd?
mattievRS

6th Oct 08 at 10:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this is going to be good....... subscribed!
coldanconversions

6th Oct 08 at 16:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got a mechanical F28 ready to bolt on. The plan is to stick a Quafe ATB LSD in after the main conversions done and run in.. And I've got a spare £600 (had one in my Type R and they're great, unobtrusive and quiet and pretty progressive). Then a 150 shot of NOS and a respray.

With everything I've bought so far, which most of it's sat in the garage waiting to be fitted, I've already spent £5,500 on this build (around £2k in the engine alone).

Cheers for the comments peeps...
Adam C
Premium Member

9th Oct 08 at 23:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Awesome stuff, coming along very well

My Arden Blue Astra GSi MK4 on BBS LM's Project Thread
PaulW

10th Oct 08 at 16:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

shame i didnt catch this thread earlier, or i would have had the rear diff off the omega from you
coldanconversions

11th Oct 08 at 17:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by PaulW
shame i didnt catch this thread earlier, or i would have had the rear diff off the omega from you

...Yeah it only went to the scrappers!

Todays update:

Pulleys and Timing belt kit on, auxillary belt on, oil filter on

Next onto the gearbox (F28)

stripped, cleaned and repaired (the casing needed welding a tad)

Flushed the years of crap out of the 'box, then cleaned, before repacking with grease

Box assembled (you can see the ring of ally weld for the repair - now perfect!), 2 wheel drive kit added

Back to the engine

Taken off the stand, C20XE flywheel being added. At a guess it's about 8-9 kgs lighter than the standard recessed 'pot' type V6 flywheel.

Next up, a C20LET clutch friction plate and a C20XE clutch cover plate are added

F28 'box added to the V6 and bolted up

Just need to have a look at the box again as the selector fork doesn't seem to be working properly... My money's on it not being set in the right position when the 2 sides of the 'box were put together.

After that, the next task is to repaint and tyre up my Calibra Turbo 16's... Then it's conversion time!

Adam C
Premium Member

11th Oct 08 at 17:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Awesome

Take it your going 5 stud with it then

My Arden Blue Astra GSi MK4 on BBS LM's Project Thread
coldanconversions

11th Oct 08 at 17:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Green Thing
Awesome

Take it your going 5 stud with it then

Sure am... Cav V6 brakes allround, and I'm painting my Calibra Turbo wheels Smoke Grey (Corsa B GSi colour) before they go on. Bit of an old skool wheel, but I think they look the tits on corsa b's
GregGsi
Premium Member

11th Oct 08 at 18:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

got all the bits if you need out to make 5stud thanx good lump that lol

BHP vaux
coldanconversions

11th Oct 08 at 19:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

already got em mate, cheers anyway

[Edited on 11-10-2008 by coldanconversions]
Rich H

11th Oct 08 at 19:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

project - will be keeping an eye on this one!
coldanconversions

18th Oct 08 at 15:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Little update -

Got the gearbox working (I hope) and put back together.

It's still nothcy swapping to the 1-2 & 5-6 sides of the gearbox, but sending it into and out of the gears is pretty much ok now. It has got better the more it does it, so I'm hoping that it just needs filling with oil and some use to settle back down.

Guess I'll see if it worked when it goes in
coldanconversions

30th Nov 08 at 16:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not a lot to update on at the minute... Got my Smoked Depo's fitted (thanks to Stu C, and not to V Sport).

I'd bought some German plates, but have decided not to fit them, and have instead fitted some smaller standard plates.

I'll get some photo's when it's better weather and the cars clean.

Waiting for a facelift front bumper to land from Doldy and I'll fit my new arch plastics at the same time.

As far as the 3.0 goes, it's ready and going to wait till after crimbo to go in now.

I've also changed my mind on the inlet. I was going to fit a polished Cavalier C25XE one, but ibnstead I'm going to fit a Vectra X25XE one with the EGR removed.

Spend a bit of time polishing it inside to get it flowing right, and I'll prob be painting that to match the rocker covers in the middle (Isuzu Purple) and match the front and rear plenums Vauxhall Smoke Grey (which will match the Cav Turbo rims).
Adam-D

2nd Dec 08 at 22:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

look forward to seeing this done
dwcars1.4

2nd Dec 08 at 22:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looking good so far, gonna follow this thread, my m8 is putting a 2.5 v6 into his track corsa so could miby use some tips from this
Charlton

25th Jan 09 at 11:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just read through this, and any updates?
Crazy LEDs

22nd Apr 09 at 14:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any updates as it looks like its being done thoroughly
Well done

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Corsa Sport 3.0 24v Project 24 database queries in 0.0189199 seconds