corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Gaz's flame red 1.2 8v runabout cosmetic tart-up project (Now XE project)

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Gaz's flame red 1.2 8v runabout cosmetic tart-up project (Now XE project)
daymoon
Premium Member

User status: Offline
4th Jan 09 at 15:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

next mod - home made smoked front lights.

some sideskirts, a bit lower suspension and u r done.
Gazdaman

4th Jan 09 at 15:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To:

In 4 weeks. And about £500. Including a decent service, and a new alarm.

And I loved every minute of working on it.

Gaz
Gazdaman

4th Jan 09 at 15:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah found some skirts and a nice bumper I want. Just funds are short atm!

And I agree, with these new wheels it could do with being lower. Tbh I think it'll probably stay at this level.

I'm tempted to redtop it. But not sure how good the chassis is deep down. And if I should plough money into a crapper.

Exhaust's blowing ever so slightly too.

Gaz
daymoon
Premium Member

4th Jan 09 at 15:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well if you are not planning on keeping the car for 3 4 5 years, you could always do a simple 1.4/1.6 16v conversion.. u could pick everything needed for 200-250 quid.. if not cheaper some times..
Gazdaman

4th Jan 09 at 15:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tbh, I can see me selling this in a year or so and picking up an already converted redtop or LET.

But if a 1.4 or 1.6 came up for the right price (with PAS) then I could be very tempted!

Gaz
Gazdaman

11th Jan 09 at 17:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Considering a c20ne or SEH at the moment. Maybe with some bike carbs.

Today I fitted my new head unit:

£25 inc postage! USB slot, and SD slot. Bargain.

Had to whip it out again to swap the switched and permanent live and also to wire my power outlet back in.

It was a real pain. But it all works now.

Also put my 6x9s into my new stealth shelf curtosy of Doldy. Looks great, and sounds a bit better too.

No photos. But if anyone wants a used Sony Xplod cd player, they can have it free if they pick it up from Leicester.

Gaz
Gazdaman

7th Feb 09 at 17:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just fitted a punto rear wiper and gave it a clean. The spray work is standing up to the test of time.

My chemical metal'd on rear spoiler didn't. That fell off last week, so I rebonded that on, and re bonded on the front o/s wheel arch too.

Need to get the exhaust looked at, and the funny noise it makes when steering left.

It's also up for swap now though, I'm after an old BMW 316 or similar. Something standard, with PAS and a bit bigger engine.

Gaz
Gazdaman

17th Feb 09 at 13:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well, I'll be keeping it for a while, just bought myself a redtop lump in bits. So I'll give it a good going over while it's apart and in it'll go.

Got a few questions about the c20xe and its conversions. I'm planning on buying a haynes for the engine. Found a really cheap manual for cavalier SRI covering the 2L 16v SRI. But are the engines any different depending which car they came from? i.e Calibra, Cav etc?

Also, what will I need for the conversion baring in mind I'm starting with a 1.2 8v. I've read that all I need is 1 engine mount, is that right?

Obviously I'll need 22 spline drive shafts and Cav inner CVs. I've got some 2L brakes at home. And I'll probably let a garage do the conversion inc wiring and sorting the exhaust.

Gaz
adz_gsi

17th Feb 09 at 19:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

chassis strengthening kit
chris astley or harry hockley
Gazdaman

18th Feb 09 at 00:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wow, picked up the engine tonight, and I must declare bargain of the century!

c20xe lump, and head etc, nicely painted rocker cover. Out of a Cav SRI with only 70k miles on it!

Also came with, exhaust manifold originally for a Nova, inlet manifold and 2 Cav airboxes, a Corsa engine mount!

AND

An F20 gearbox, with the adaptery thingy to suit a Corsa and all the wiring loom and ECU.

AND a set of Digi clocks from an Astra.

£50, jesus I'm a happy man. Gonna give it a good clean tomorrow and photograph everything.

Just hoping the engine mount is the right type and I can work out how the jigsaw goes together!

Love it.

Gaz
daymoon
Premium Member

18th Feb 09 at 00:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that is really a bargain!!!

i gues you are gonna keep the car now?
Gazdaman

18th Feb 09 at 00:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, not sure if I'll do the work on it or give it to a garage with most of a month's paycheque.

But it looks like I've got pretty much everything I need for a conversion, except the GSI shafts and Cav inner CVs.

Ideally I'll do it myself, just need to find a garage to rent.

Gaz
daymoon
Premium Member

18th Feb 09 at 01:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gazdaman
Yeah, not sure if I'll do the work on it or give it to a garage with most of a month's paycheque.

But it looks like I've got pretty much everything I need for a conversion, except the GSI shafts and Cav inner CVs.

Ideally I'll do it myself, just need to find a garage to rent.

Gaz

if you can live without a car for a month(take a bus, get a lift to work, cycle etc) you are best off doing it yourself if you can work with spanners..
try council garages as they are cheap to rent (about 30-40 pounds a month)
get your friends to give you a hand, or some one on here might help you...
Gazdaman

18th Feb 09 at 01:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There's a 6 month waiting list for a council garage round here. I actually got a form about 6 months ago, sadly it's still sat on my desk.

And I don't even need to live without a car, my girlfriend has one, and I have 2 motorbikes. I would like to do it myself, just to say I did. And the money saving etc.

I'm pretty handy with a spanner, but car stuff is all pretty new to me.

I.e I have no idea what SFI on a car is, and when it talks about an adapter plate for it, or a powercap, I have zero clue.

I come from a bike background, and show me a cush drive or something and I'm ok!

Gaz
daymoon
Premium Member

18th Feb 09 at 01:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well then my advice would be:

get a hayness manual for the engine, read conversion guides on different websites by different people..

SFI - single fuel injection
MPI - multipoint injection

all it means it one or more fuel injectors.
Gazdaman

18th Feb 09 at 19:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well, the block is about to spend its second night in the boot of my car because it's too heavy for me to lift out by myself

Gaz
jonny1.6

18th Feb 09 at 19:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

v grill front bumper wud look da dogs nads
Gazdaman

19th Feb 09 at 12:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Personally I think I'll either go back to black bumpers, and go for the 'sleeper' look. Or it'll be a GSI bumper.

Couple of stupid questions, but I'm such a car n00b I just need to ask them.

What's this in the photo? It came attached to the gearbox, and supported bolted to the block. Is it a driveshaft? And if it is, is it suitable for use on the Corsa?

And in this photo, I take it that's the inlet manifold? But why all the assorted gubbins on it? I'm used to Bikes, nice simple bikes, with carbs and where you recognise what everything is!

Also, before I rebuild the engine what do you think I should do? Obviously clean up the cams. New cam belt, waterpump looks brand new, new spark plugs, oil filter etc.

Gazdaman

19th Feb 09 at 13:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And while I'm pic whoring..

In there, you might just spot, the Corsa engine mount (not sure if it's 8 or 16v), AFM on the left, exhaust manifold to fit a Nova, a set of Astra digital clocks and various little engine bits.

Bargain of the year at £50 for everything inc the engine.
sxibeast

19th Feb 09 at 17:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Top picture is part of the equal length driveshaft setup, and yes, i think you can use it on the corsa conversion! There wa a thread on Migweb a while ago about it.

yeah second picture is your inlet, upside down mind! lol!
Gazdaman

19th Feb 09 at 20:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why is being equal length good? And yeah I realised it was upside down, it was just more stable that way. And it can't fill with water

Next thing is to pop the clutch off the XE so I can get it onto the engine stand.

Gaz
Gazdaman

19th Feb 09 at 21:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yay for gareish rocker cover!

And man I got some funny looks dragging my engine hoist avec engine down the pavement to my house.

When I can find a garage to rent, I'll chuck it in.

Gaz
Gazdaman

9th Apr 09 at 21:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well I got a garage now.

Tried to fit my 2L brakes today. I got them all nicely painted up in red. Took my o/s caliper off, took the screw out for the disk.

And would the disk come off? Would it fuck.

It was 100% seized onto the hub. So I admitted defeat and put the old caliper back on. Anyone got any suggestions to get it off?

Also got a new tyre fitted.

Still need a few things to complete the rebuild. So click the shopping list thing in my sig and see if there's anything you can provide!

Gaz
daymoon
Premium Member

9th Apr 09 at 22:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

did you take off the calliper carrier aswell? becaue with it on you wontbe able to take off the disks.
Gazdaman

9th Apr 09 at 22:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

...I did not

I knew I should have done it at home where my manual is. Where does the caliper carrier come off?

Glad I didn't just hit it harder!

Gaz

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Gaz's flame red 1.2 8v runabout cosmetic tart-up project (Now XE project) 23 database queries in 0.0174401 seconds