corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » New SHOCKING MOT rule

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author New SHOCKING MOT rule
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

User status: Offline
18th Jan 09 at 23:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They could never enforce it.

A spurious exhaust can sound dffierent to the manufacturers item, so anyone that makes exhausts would be out of business unless they made exhausts for manufacturers?

We'll see tomorrow anyway, brother's Vec is going in for a it's MOT, lets see if that fail cos it's got a Magnex
AcidK1

18th Jan 09 at 23:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sand-eel
I think it may be a rule for very loud cars possibly?

any modified car exhaust dosnt sound different, it would have to be up to the descretion of the tester if it was a different sound, as for sand-eel, i agree with you, possibly exhaustd fitted with the cherrybomb things????
Tedney

18th Jan 09 at 23:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How can this be true. How can they tell you what a standard sound is and what isn't.
AcidK1

18th Jan 09 at 23:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tedney
How can this be true. How can they tell you what a standard sound is and what isn't.

maybe they will employ expert musicians and pitch the car against a computer recorded sound??? didnt think of that, or maybe they record the sound of your car, and send it to a secret boss who decides and tells the tester through psychic powers.

how do you know if its the exhaust or something else....at least it got a lot of people talking lol
Tedney

18th Jan 09 at 23:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AcidK1
quote:
Originally posted by Tedney

maybe they will employ expert musicians and pitch the car against a computer recorded sound??? didnt think of that, or maybe they record the sound of your car, and send it to a secret boss who decides and tells the tester through psychic powers.

how do you know if its the exhaust or something else....at least it got a lot of people talking lol

Lol. I can't understand the idea behind it. Last I Knew an MOT was to see if your car was safe on the road and not to find out what noise it makes from the exaust.
harrisp

18th Jan 09 at 23:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AcidK1
quote:
Originally posted by sand-eel
I think it may be a rule for very loud cars possibly?

any modified car exhaust dosnt sound different, it would have to be up to the descretion of the tester if it was a different sound, as for sand-eel, i agree with you, possibly exhaustd fitted with the cherrybomb things????

How many cars have you actually heard with cherrybombs on?

They dont even make much difference on some cars.
AcidK1

18th Jan 09 at 23:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not many, but a guy near me has like an ultra loud car exhaust, hear him form a long way away. things like that i thought. but an MOT is for safety, police are to reinforce noise laws.
Kurt

19th Jan 09 at 00:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When was the las time you saw a police officer with a decibel meter or exhaust emission tester?
AcidK1

19th Jan 09 at 00:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dosnt mean to say they ent got them, there sad enough to carry a light meter to test windows...and they can request an emissions test and you have to show them proof within so much time.
Dec T

19th Jan 09 at 00:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they couldnt possibly do it anyway think about it almost all rally cars are road legal wrc/jwrc cars etc theyd have to ban all of it because none of them have standard exhausts
Gibbon

19th Jan 09 at 00:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good, if your cars going to make a nice noise It should come from the engine and not some chav piece of shit backbox that would fit a small baby inside.

If only this was real.

[Edited on 19-01-2009 by Gibbon]
scotty_f

19th Jan 09 at 00:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but how are the mot testers surposed to kno wot the standard system is and also wot about kit cars where do they stand on this
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

19th Jan 09 at 00:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll continue to take mine to my mate, he does a great deaf person impression
Kevxx

19th Jan 09 at 00:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well it's not real so lets stop asking questions, cause simply there are not answers
N3CRO

19th Jan 09 at 00:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it was true, I'd be ok, I have a custom exhaust but it sounds standard
Paul_J

19th Jan 09 at 00:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pff... they can ignore this fact, same as they'll ignore my immissions due to no cat.
Kenzie

19th Jan 09 at 17:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cant really see this being enforced to be honest.

steddy-eddie

19th Jan 09 at 17:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it could mean that if your car is fitted with a non eu approved item would fail but one that is stamped and is made to eu standards would pass and be legal, not sure though seems like a load of bollocks but police in my area have collared a few people about their exhausts and apparently have checked it for an eu stamp of approval
Archie
Organiser: Scotland
Premium Member

19th Jan 09 at 18:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd rather have a non standard exhuast, i've seen people almost walk out in front of me in town as i've been comin round a corner and they take a second look as they've obviously heard me.

Kevxx

19th Jan 09 at 18:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by steddy-eddie
it could mean that if your car is fitted with a non eu approved item would fail but one that is stamped and is made to eu standards would pass and be legal, not sure though seems like a load of bollocks but police in my area have collared a few people about their exhausts and apparently have checked it for an eu stamp of approval

i'd love to see a local copper stick his head under my exhaust to find out if it has said stamp then if it didn't i'd blame rust!
shaunmods
Premium Member

19th Jan 09 at 18:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dont believe that for a second. What would kit cars, engine converted cars etc do?
spikedjack

19th Jan 09 at 18:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'dlike to know about engine conversions/turbo converted cars then?
Ellis

It's clearly a load of rubbish
steddy-eddie

probably for an mot tester to check it if it isnt eu stamped FAIL!! if it is stamped your on to a WINNER!! lol not sure though so dont hold me to that, cant see how they can bring it in place though
SportBoy

19th Jan 09 at 18:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pasted from vosa special notice 9-2008

Change to criteria for assessing exhaust noise in that the level of noise should be checked at all engine speeds required for the exhaust emissions check. Also, that the vehicle should be failed if the noise emitted is clearly unreasonably above the level expected from a similar vehicle with a standard silencer in average condition.

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » New SHOCKING MOT rule 22 database queries in 0.0207160 seconds