corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Social Networking being debated on tv...

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Social Networking being debated on tv...
_Allan_

User status: Offline
14th Feb 09 at 13:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wrighty has pretty much summed up my feelings lol
Daveskater
Premium Member

14th Feb 09 at 13:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sites like Facebook and MyFace etc are fine for contacting people you know and keeping in touch imo, but it's when people start trying to find other people on there that they don't know to try and be friends with that the problems start. Then they try and meet up (which is the most moronic thing you could ever do) and people never turn out to be who you thought. I used to have a Myspace but deleted it because I got fed up with all the junk people posted and how it had changed dramatically to try and compete with Facebook.

When I was in school, as soon as we got home me and my mates would go down the skate park pretty much every day for a couple of hours until dinner, then when it was light for long enough we went out again after. Yeah we used MSN etc, I used it to talk to my cousin who lived in Hong Kong at the time, but we didn't spend all day on it.

Twitter really is stupid though, it seems to have taken off massively lately, but it's the most pointless website ever created.

I rarely visit any of these sites any more, plus I don't think they allow stuff like that at my new job, which is good. Imo all places should block things like Facebook and Twitter and all that rubbish, they should be getting on with work, not updating their statuses on what they've had for lunch.

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
Nath

14th Feb 09 at 14:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't see the problem with them tbh.

Why can't people do both? I always had the latest consoles and stuff. Which was great. But more than anything I wanted to be outside playing football. I don't see how technology and playing outdoors can't go hand in hand. After all it does fucking rain nearly every other day, so what can you do outdoors then?!

Rather my kid be sociable online, then not at all.
nova_gteuk

14th Feb 09 at 14:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Daveskater,why is it moronic to meet people of the internet?when i was 14/15 i was always meeting people from a chat room it was called swansea locals on yahoo chat (blush) met girls and boys off there and were still all mates to this day.

As for blocking facebook etc,my college where i work does block it and it blocks this website,but i log on both everyday in work

And i love twitter,im subscribed to boris on there
Wrighty

14th Feb 09 at 16:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by _Allan_
Wrighty has pretty much summed up my feelings lol

glad someone thinks along the same lines
Daveskater
Premium Member

14th Feb 09 at 17:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by nova_gteuk
Daveskater,why is it moronic to meet people of the internet?when i was 14/15 i was always meeting people from a chat room it was called swansea locals on yahoo chat (blush) met girls and boys off there and were still all mates to this day.

As for blocking facebook etc,my college where i work does block it and it blocks this website,but i log on both everyday in work

And i love twitter,im subscribed to boris on there
Because the amount of people who think they're meeting the person in the pictures and then they turn out to be someone completely different is incredible. Obviously some people are genuine, but not everyone is honest out there, and that's a fact.

Numberwang!

Look at my pictures
J da Silva

14th Feb 09 at 17:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Wrighty
Forums & u2u's on here are as far as i go into social networking if they count as it, used tinternet since i was a teen but facebook, msn, etc etc, its all just sad as fuck, iv got an email address and forum logins. job done

'so & so has 500 friends on bebo' for example bollox, if you really know 500 people, why are you inside on a computer all day updating the internet with what your doing every 2 minutes, or telling them what your having for breakfast. why do people feel the need to broadcast their life over the net? who cares if you took X amount of photos in a club last week? surly if you know your mates, they were there and know what you did?

why do people need a website with cocky slogans on about themselves, pics posing in the mirror and shit? what are they trying to prove? your only young once, do you wana tell your grandkids you spent your youth on a computer?

and having people you dont 'really' know as friends on the net that live at the opposite end of the country, thats not real friends is it, if you dont know them in real life, you dont know them full stop. people that feel the need to do the above, live in a sad little world

all i ever hear at work is 'facebook this, bla bla bla' 'he said this about me and she said that and im not having them as a friend on facebook' all i can see is it causing arguements, bitching and relationship problems!

Go out and live a real life, not an internet one

Yeah, I agree with you there, I only registered to facebook because of the old friends I've got in contact with since, I don't let anyone add me I don't know and all the people in my contacts I know in person, it's a good way for me to keep in touch with my family aswell because I'm in South America right now and rather than ring home and pay for it I can just natter on the chat thingy.

I'm so far behind everyone else with all this stuff though.
Aaron

14th Feb 09 at 17:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dave, i have a feeling that in the past you've been douped into meeing a fattie when you thought she was a fittie
Daveskater
Premium Member

14th Feb 09 at 17:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No I've never met anyone off any of these sites that I don't know. My sister said someone in her class arranges to meet strangers all the time, and not once have they shown up You'd have thought they'd have got the message by now.

Numberwang!

Look at my pictures
J da Silva

14th Feb 09 at 17:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's not for me, but having said that I'm a family man with 2 children, I'm a bit too 'secure' for all that, but if a nerd cannot get a gf by chatting her up in a bar, and he finds it easier to do it over the net and then meet eventually that I don't begrudge it, if they're happy doing that and it's not a sick prank then good for them.
Daveskater
Premium Member

14th Feb 09 at 17:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A couple of mates have met people online and ended up going out with them, every single one ended up being a terrible relationship. Says something if you ask me.

Numberwang!

Look at my pictures
J da Silva

14th Feb 09 at 17:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well it takes all the fun out of meeting someone IMO, I'd rather get to know someone in person from the beginning, because I'm one of them people where I'll spend 5 minutes with you and I will have you sussed, if I'm not keen I will not associate with you again. Call me hardfaced but 'leeches' only stick if you let them.
Wrighty

14th Feb 09 at 17:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by J da Silva
quote:
Originally posted by Wrighty
Forums & u2u's on here are as far as i go into social networking if they count as it, used tinternet since i was a teen but facebook, msn, etc etc, its all just sad as fuck, iv got an email address and forum logins. job done

'so & so has 500 friends on bebo' for example bollox, if you really know 500 people, why are you inside on a computer all day updating the internet with what your doing every 2 minutes, or telling them what your having for breakfast. why do people feel the need to broadcast their life over the net? who cares if you took X amount of photos in a club last week? surly if you know your mates, they were there and know what you did?

why do people need a website with cocky slogans on about themselves, pics posing in the mirror and shit? what are they trying to prove? your only young once, do you wana tell your grandkids you spent your youth on a computer?

and having people you dont 'really' know as friends on the net that live at the opposite end of the country, thats not real friends is it, if you dont know them in real life, you dont know them full stop. people that feel the need to do the above, live in a sad little world

all i ever hear at work is 'facebook this, bla bla bla' 'he said this about me and she said that and im not having them as a friend on facebook' all i can see is it causing arguements, bitching and relationship problems!

Go out and live a real life, not an internet one

Yeah, I agree with you there, I only registered to facebook because of the old friends I've got in contact with since, I don't let anyone add me I don't know and all the people in my contacts I know in person, it's a good way for me to keep in touch with my family aswell because I'm in South America right now and rather than ring home and pay for it I can just natter on the chat thingy.

I'm so far behind everyone else with all this stuff though.

i suppose it is good for keeping in touch with people that have moved abroad etc as it is free, i guess phonecalls may cost but atleast you dont have to tell your life story to your mate over the phone in australia or something
nova_gteuk

14th Feb 09 at 17:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Everytime i met somone we met in the shopping centre in swansea,so at least we knew we were safe and everytime i met someone id seen them on webcam before meeting so i knew who they where and everything was genuine,im not a complete retard and id never go meet somone on my own.

Most of my mates thesse days are people from back in thosse days that i met from chat rooms

You meet people on car forums so its no diffrence really

Only people who wouldnt turn up is the nob jockeys whod say fight me this time this place,never turn up though

[Edited on 14-02-2009 by nova_gteuk]
J da Silva

14th Feb 09 at 17:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nah, nail on the head, I just like to know if my family is ok, and I've a very big family so my phone bills would be stupidly high.
Ian
Site Administrator

14th Feb 09 at 21:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's definitely a question of balance and I wouldn't consider social networking a threat to a real social life so long as the two are used to compliment each other and the internet doesn't replace going out.

I've concerns over the vulnerability of minors online but I think this is a matter for their parents, not politicians. Particularly where, as noted, they don't have a clue about the technology or the will to say something that will lose them votes like 'look after your kids'.
XSIHardy

14th Feb 09 at 21:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dont realy see the issue, im sure back in the days people would kidnapp kids ect, now they hunt for them online...times change people adapt to new things.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Social Networking being debated on tv... 23 database queries in 0.0170579 seconds