corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » v6 3.0 conversion

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author v6 3.0 conversion
DizzyRebel

User status: Offline
25th Mar 09 at 19:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes
quote:
Originally posted by mk4_boy
yes both standard, the 3.0 is just over kill for the corsa, ok nippy in a straight line but shite around bendys..

same is said for 2.0 corsas however

They handle fine if you know how to drive them properly. I could outpace clio cups, saxos, 106's, 205's or any other hot hatch that people reckon on being the best thing since sliced bread on the twisties. The extra weight gives the front a bit more grip and traction, but they handle far better still if you have a good rear arb, front strut braces and 7J wheels. Oh yeah they sound evil too, far better than a raspy XE.

Heres mine:

It was a 2.5 with all msd cams etc, lightened astra gte flywheel, full stainless 3" exhaust, 3.8 bar fpr and had been superchipped to raise the rev limiter, up fuelling and advance injector timing and lengthen duration and advance ignition too. Cant remember exact figure but it was a bit over 210bhp and it made an evil noise. Not the prettyest instalation but it worked.
Nic Barnes

25th Mar 09 at 19:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cool indeed.

although ive had enough 2litre powered small vauxhalls to know they dont out handle stuff that you've listed. maybe out pace them, wont out handle them.
DizzyRebel

25th Mar 09 at 19:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

probably not on track against an experience driver. But on the road against over enthusiastic young drivers and chavs even on the bends they are still lagging behind. there is only so much handling speaks for when a car is overweight/underpowered.
Nic Barnes

25th Mar 09 at 19:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

very true
Corsa_Sport21

25th Mar 09 at 19:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is that Vectra heads on the above car??

As for outhandling the cars mentioned,nah.

All those cars youve listed could outhandle a corsa without even trying,and the corsa would be at its limits trying to stick with them.So even if they were trying that wee bit harder,i still dont think a corsa would keep with them.

I was following a mate in his DC2 teg and i was in my XE Corsa and i was having a hard time keeping up,i was really going for it and when we stopped i asked if he was and he said he was just driving normal taking corners at speeds that didnt feel too fast.Far from pushing it anyway.
Nic Barnes

25th Mar 09 at 20:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Corsa_Sport21

All those cars youve listed could outhandle a corsa without even trying,and the corsa would be at its limits trying to stick with them.So even if they were trying that wee bit harder,i still dont think a corsa would keep with them.

I was following a mate in his DC2 teg and i was in my XE Corsa and i was having a hard time keeping up,i was really going for it and when we stopped i asked if he was and he said he was just driving normal taking corners at speeds that didnt feel too fast.Far from pushing it anyway.

thats cavalier/calibra v6 inlet set up.
Corsa_Sport21

25th Mar 09 at 20:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah right so a full vectra engine except the inlet.
Nic Barnes

25th Mar 09 at 20:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

seems to fit better id say.
Corsa_Sport21

25th Mar 09 at 20:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As far as im aware they are just the same except for the inlet design.
DizzyRebel

25th Mar 09 at 20:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Corsa_Sport21

Well mine had an astra gsi rear beam, front lower strut, koni suspension and 7J wheels, with the added weight of a heavy engine the front stuck really well. At the end of the day an FWD transverse layout car with rear torsion beam has limited capabilities, and as such a well sorted version of any of those cars wont out handle another as they are all pretty much the same geometry and layout. Ive seen Some well sorted XE corsas on track make mincemeat out of plenty of cars supposed to be faster or handle better than them - its all about the prep and setup.

As for the engine it was from a Cav auto, the vectra rocker covers were used as they dont leak like the plastic Cav/Cali ones.

Not sure if the vectra inlet is superior to the cav one, im sure someone will know though.
Nic Barnes

25th Mar 09 at 20:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what work was invlolved in fitting an astra gsi rear beam?
DizzyRebel

25th Mar 09 at 20:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No idea the shell came with it on! Looking at the way its mounted it didnt look like a very difficult job, iirc there is a step by step thread on migweb of how to convert it.
Nic Barnes

25th Mar 09 at 20:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

any links?
DizzyRebel

25th Mar 09 at 20:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hold fire ill try dig one out
Nic Barnes

25th Mar 09 at 20:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do you not mean it had the rear discs off the astra mk3 rear beam? as the beam itself is a bit wider than a std corsa one, and suspension points if i remember right, wouldnt line up. i could be wrong. i cant find any info on it on migweb anyway.
DizzyRebel

25th Mar 09 at 20:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No ive just looked too and cant find anything. Whiteline rear arb does the same job thoug iirc. The lad i bought it off is a fabricator by trade so it had loads of one off mods and obscure things fitted to it chassis wise. Im pretty sure he said he just bolted the whole astra rear beam on opposed to fitting hubs and discs as it was easier for him, plus it widened the track at the rear too. I could be wrong though, ill ask him when i see him tomorrow.
bethoml

25th Mar 09 at 21:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ooo look what i have started here lol. how much am i looking at for a full 3.0 conversion would people say?
Nic Barnes

25th Mar 09 at 21:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ask te motorsport for a price mate. local company might give you corsasport discount for doing it?
DizzyRebel

25th Mar 09 at 21:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends who you get to do it. PC automotive here in lincoln would do a drive in drive out service with them supplying everything and a 6 month warranty for around £1800.

Or if you did it yourself you could do it under a grand.
Nic Barnes

25th Mar 09 at 21:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can buy the engine mounts on ebay ive been noticing lately
DizzyRebel

25th Mar 09 at 21:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you shopped around you could get the parts needed to do it including the engine for under 600 notes. Cheap 200bhp or thereabouts if you do it yourself!
Nic Barnes

25th Mar 09 at 21:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

3litre engine, cav/cally inlet set up, f16/20/28 box and the correct clutch and flywheel, conversion shafts, the mounts, modifiy rear back manifold, make exhaust system?

what else is needed?
DizzyRebel

25th Mar 09 at 21:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just 2.5 management and loom, a few hoses and thats about it. Id do the cambelt too while its out, sure it costs more but its worth the peace of mind if you dont know the history of the engine.

A quick bargain basement job would be done for under £600 with the parts. Uprated clutch, cambelt, rocker covers, iridium plugs and a full silicone hose kit ight push parts nearer a grand. Still cheaper than trying to get 200bhp out of an 16/20XE if you dont want the potential of a LET.
Damian_666

25th Mar 09 at 22:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not to slate these at all but seems so much of a engine for such little gains from a n/a. though a v6 dose sound sweet and the whole thing of saying........ i have a v6 in my corsa sounds good too. but 200bhp from a 3.0/2.5 v6 sounds crazy-ness. im not meaning to honda bash but from my 1.8 iv got 213bhp, and to prove im not honda bashing, toyota have the ae111 engine 1.6, 165bhp or the celica 1.8 with 190bhp and mazda doing he same.

just in my mind it sounds crazy for the amount of litres to the amount of power! good luck with it all though!
SRI-LEE

25th Mar 09 at 22:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

go on beaves the yellow v6 bumble bee

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » v6 3.0 conversion 22 database queries in 0.0172212 seconds