corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Putting weight on.....

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Putting weight on.....
Carl

User status: Offline
25th Mar 09 at 20:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DizzyRebel

Chances are his training intensity wont be anywhere near high enough so a large amount of complex carbs will only be stored as fat. 2pm is the cutoff point for anyone who wants a low bmi, green veg and fruit will be fine to suffice for the rest of the day.

what is the theory behind it? why 2pm?

I hammer carbs, still stay same weight, and i only train twice a week, pain in the arse fast metabolisms.
DizzyRebel

25th Mar 09 at 20:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Carlwhat is the theory behind it? why 2pm?

I hammer carbs, still stay same weight, and i only train twice a week, pain in the arse fast metabolisms.

The theory behind it is that complex carbs can often take 5-8 hours to be completely broken down and absorbed, and if the carbs are not used to fuel activity/repair damaged muscle tissue they are stored as fat. Assuming you come home from training at 7pm in the evening and sit down, you will seldom use any carbs to fuel activity so a surplus will quickly build up and be stored as fat if you continued to eat them past 2pm.

You dont have a fast metabolism, theres no such thing as a grossly overactive metabolism. You just undereat and more than likely fluctuate your calorie intake from low to high so your body doesnt have the required blocks to build with. If you ate every 3 hours, cut your carbs down and increased your protein and healthy fat intake you would begin to put on size and cut bodyfat.
Carl

25th Mar 09 at 23:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Carlwhat is the theory behind it? why 2pm?

You dont have a fast metabolism, theres no such thing as a grossly overactive metabolism. You just undereat and more than likely fluctuate your calorie intake from low to high so your body doesnt have the required blocks to build with. If you ate every 3 hours, cut your carbs down and increased your protein and healthy fat intake you would begin to put on size and cut bodyfat.

Do you know my body better than me then?
DizzyRebel

25th Mar 09 at 23:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Obviously yes. I know training and i know nutrition, your no biological miracle in the way carbs dont affect you and you dont gain weight. Your diet is obviously poor and not structured at all as per your bodys needs.

Put simple: if your diet is correct and you train effectively you will grow. If you arent growing then your diet and your training are wrong.
ssj_kakarot

25th Mar 09 at 23:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Obviously yes. I know training and i know nutrition, your no biological miracle in the way carbs dont affect you and you dont gain weight. Your diet is obviously poor and not structured at all as per your bodys needs.

Put simple: if your diet is correct and you train effectively you will grow. If you arent growing then your diet and your training are wrong.

pics of your body ? just intrested to see how well you have trained your body seen as you seem to know a lot.
DizzyRebel

26th Mar 09 at 00:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lol i dont take pics of my body, too much fluff on it! Tbh im in crap shape at the minute anyway - been too busy shaping my life up and working evenings to eat and train properly.

Ive just started my first period of a 4 month program though, coupled with sustanon and trenbolone ill be back in shape by summer
Carl

26th Mar 09 at 00:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

The thing is, you don't. I've studied Nutrition and physiology at a high level and I've lived in my body for the last 25 years. The later holding the greater weight.

I'm not claiming to be a biological miracle, i'm saying I have a fast metabolism.
DizzyRebel

26th Mar 09 at 00:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so if you wanted to gain weight, you would know you need to up your protein intake and training frequency significantly.

Even if your metabolism is above average you can still put on weight. i posted an article by john berardi in sports about a month ago maybe you should read it.

:: You posted in the thread i put it in, so sureley you should have read that and realised a 'fast metabolism' is no excuse for a plateau anymore?

[Edited on 26-03-2009 by DizzyRebel]
Jonny P

26th Mar 09 at 00:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Carbs? wht the fuck do you want carbs for?

You want to put on muscle, not fat - carbs are WORSE to eat than fat. You want to up your protein intake to at least 150g a day! Cut the pizza and chips out at tea time too stat!

Complex carbs ie pasta, brown bread, oatmeal, rice, potatoes should be consmed BEFORE 2pm and never after, you may have a small 50g serving of complex carbs upto an hour after you train but thats it.

You want to put on quality mass, not fatty crap. Clean caloiries are what you want! you need to eat every 3 hours religiously with lean protein served with every meal, protein shakes are good way to add to your intake.

Morning is where you should consume the majority of your carbs, evening is time for healthy fats (nuts, seeds, cheese etc) alos you will never gain proper muscle untill you join the gym!

Join a gym and get a personal trainier to coach your exercises and put you on a proper fat loss/muscle gaining programme as you will never get it right on your own.

This guy talks sense. Carbs are for energy and to burn off whilst you train. You want PLENTY of protein. Im currently on a high protein diet. Protein definition at like GCSE level is "Growth & Repair" so its obvious you need lots of protein.

Best sources are Tuna and Chicken. Get plenty of tuna pasta's and chicken pasta's down you and you'll be sorted. Couple that with protein shakes and you should see the weight pile on
psycho sport

26th Mar 09 at 02:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

DizzyRebel i couldnt be bothered to read all of your posts but you clearly dont have an idea so prob best just to shut up.

To gain you need a good balance. Aim for 150g+ of protien a day and 300g of carbs. Dont forget you need a good amount of fat aswell, sadly not chocolate kinda fat! Essential Fats from seeds, nuts etc.

Also make sure your eating lots of fruit n veg.

Find what works for you and stick with it.

I train 2/3 times a week but i train properly, eat properly and sleep properly. These are the most important things. i put on 20kg since i started training back in june of last year, all natural but my body type lends itself to putting weight on easily!

Find a balance of what you can do on a weekly basis and be realistic with your plans and targets.

Good luck!
DizzyRebel

26th Mar 09 at 10:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by psycho sport
DizzyRebel i couldnt be bothered to read all of your posts but you clearly dont have an idea so prob best just to shut up.

To gain you need a good balance. Aim for 150g+ of protien a day and 300g of carbs. Dont forget you need a good amount of fat aswell, sadly not chocolate kinda fat! Essential Fats from seeds, nuts etc.

Also make sure your eating lots of fruit n veg.

Find what works for you and stick with it.

I train 2/3 times a week but i train properly, eat properly and sleep properly. These are the most important things. i put on 20kg since i started training back in june of last year, all natural but my body type lends itself to putting weight on easily!

Find a balance of what you can do on a weekly basis and be realistic with your plans and targets.

Good luck!

And what makes you such a superstar expert?

Macronutrient ratio for anyone thats trying to increase mass is usually 50% or more of protein, 30% carbs 20% fat. If your trying to cut fat then you will aim for maybe 60% protein 35% fats 15% carbs.

Also lots of bodybuilders will train in something called ketosis, where they dont eat any complex carbs at all and the body learns to gain all its energy from burning body fat.

Quite simply - EXCESS CARBOHYDRATES MAKE YOU FAT!

Now you may have put on 20kg, but half of that is beginners growth and half of it will be bodyfat from all the useless carbs your eating. Give it another year and you will carry on putting on fat and have hit a plateu in muscle growth if you havnt already.

2 times a week isnt enough to train properly, 3-4 times is about the minimum. Your excess complex carbs should be cut in half too, esp since you only train twice a week, your following a bad plan and advising somone else on your tacts is wrong. I study people like chris shugart, john berardi, chad waterbury etc for body conditiong and nutrition - world famous people who train world class athletes as well as transform everyday fat joes into muscular well trained machines. They know what they are on about - people like you dont.
Carl

26th Mar 09 at 17:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
so if you wanted to gain weight, you would know you need to up your protein intake and training frequency significantly.

Even if your metabolism is above average you can still put on weight. i posted an article by john berardi in sports about a month ago maybe you should read it.

:: You posted in the thread i put it in, so sureley you should have read that and realised a 'fast metabolism' is no excuse for a plateau anymore?

[Edited on 26-03-2009 by DizzyRebel]

You keep adding bits on to your posts that ive not said. I've never said it was an excuse for a plateau, I said i have a fast metabolism infering it is a big hindrance. I don't train to add weight anymore, I've tried and failed, i'm well aware of why I failed too, simply because its so much of a task to consume the amounts I need at the times I need and i'm not prepared to live my life around it.

I might actually keep a diet log and see what i'm consuming, I know my BMR is 1864 as its been writen on my white board for the last 2-3 years, but never actually done any logs on myself.
SAS-1991

26th Mar 09 at 18:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im in the same boat as some of you, im 5' 11'' and i weight 9 and a half stone, im seriously under weight, and i have been wanting to put on weight for a while now, but it just isnt happening?! i try eat more and more, but it just wont do anything to me, no matter if i eat just some dinner in a day, or if i eat all day long, i still dont loose/put on any weight at all!

Any thing i can do differently?!

Any advise will be very helpfull!

Cheers Shaun
ssj_kakarot

26th Mar 09 at 18:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes actually count how many calories you are eating in a day and i think you will be surprised as it wont be any were near enough that you need to increase in size.

if your not eating 6 meals a day every 2 - 3 hours of good quality clean food and lots of it your doing it wrong, unfortunetly it is hard and takes a lot of dedication and willpower.
SAS-1991

26th Mar 09 at 18:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ssj_kakarot
yes actually count how many calories you are eating in a day and i think you will be surprised as it wont be any were near enough that you need to increase in size.

if your not eating 6 meals a day every 2 - 3 hours of good quality clean food and lots of it your doing it wrong, unfortunetly it is hard and takes a lot of dedication and willpower.

i know this may sound stupid.... but what exactly is 'good quality clean food' lol

Cheers!
Mo

26th Mar 09 at 18:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm in the same boat too been the same weight for the last 11 years and started to look into it. The more i eat the more i go to the loo.

At the moment i've having carbs in the morning and potein around lunch time. not sure about rest of the day but i'm in the process of a nutrionist having a look at my diet....... will see wot he says.
ssj_kakarot

26th Mar 09 at 19:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SAS-1991
quote:
Originally posted by ssj_kakarot

i know this may sound stupid.... but what exactly is 'good quality clean food' lol

Cheers!

not stupid, commonm question.

you need a good mix of protein carbs and good fats.

complex carbs from wholewheat pasta, wholegrain breads ect

protein from lean meats such as chicken, turkey, tuna.

good fats from nuts ect.

have a look on bodybuilding.com and read a few beginer articles.
Laney

26th Mar 09 at 20:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm no expert at this AT ALL, but I found that by eating 6 meals a day (and when I say meal, I mean anything that wasn't a snack!) I put weight on.

That being said I'm not hammering the weights or looking to get massive, I just found I trained better! Lots of small portions seemed to work for me.

My diet is roughly something like:

protien shake and wheetabix
4 x toast at 10ish.
Tuna and cous cous
Soup (Big Soup )
Some sort of evening meal - chicken pasta, spag bol etc
Pre-bed shake

Again, no idea if its right!

Edit - Plus fruit after most of the meals

[Edited on 26-03-2009 by Laney]
DizzyRebel

26th Mar 09 at 21:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well your diet is definately setting yourself up for a nice high bodyfat percentage!

Its well known you dont need any sort of complex carbs to fuel your body. My regular diet is going to consist of baically this from next month:

meal 1:
10 oz steak
1/4 cup brazil nuts

meal 2:
8 oz chicken
1/4 cup raw almonds

meal 3:
8 oz chicken
1/4 cup raw almonds

meal 4: post workout
50g whey
75g surge workout fuel
1/4cup grapes
1 apple

meal 5:
2 organic turkey patties
5 fish oil tabs

meal 6:
50g whey
1/2 cup cottage cheese
1 tbsp olive oil

Green veg is added to most meals untill i feel full. I wont be eating any complex carbs as grains are not optimal and your body doesnt need them, i only suggest the carbs in the morning approach for people as not many will ever give up carbs so its best to eat the cleanest carbs possible.
radicalry00

26th Mar 09 at 21:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It is clear that you're a big fan of the low carb / high fat approach Dizzy. Personally, I've tried that method and I can safely say that it was not for me. Yes I dropped fat but I always seemed to lack the drive and energy that I felt when I ate carbs.

Now I've gone back to an high protein, medium carbs, low fat approach and perform ALOT better in the gym. My bodyfat is also staying pretty low as I only have carbs before 5pm. It is when you start mixing carbs and fats in the same meal where things start to go pear shaped.
DC90

26th Mar 09 at 21:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

"You want to put on quality mass, not fatty crap. Clean caloiries are what you want! you need to eat every 3 hours religiously with lean protein served with every meal, protein shakes are good way to add to your intake."

Dizzy speaks the truth.

Sucks for me being a diabetic that I constantly need carbs to keep my blood sugars constant. It's a pain in the arse.
DizzyRebel

26th Mar 09 at 21:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by radicalry00
It is clear that you're a big fan of the low carb / high fat approach Dizzy. Personally, I've tried that method and I can safely say that it was not for me. Yes I dropped fat but I always seemed to lack the drive and energy that I felt when I ate carbs.

Now I've gone back to an high protein, medium carbs, low fat approach and perform ALOT better in the gym. My bodyfat is also staying pretty low as I only have carbs before 5pm. It is when you start mixing carbs and fats in the same meal where things start to go pear shaped.

Its because its a basically ketogenic diet, for somone who was used to a high carb diet it can take a few weeks before you get used to using fat for energy instead of carbs but it does eventually happen.

For somone such as yourself it would maybe help you to have carb up phases, for example you eat a set amount of carbs one day a week keeping them clean as possible.

You should also maybe look at your peri training nutrition, i use this biotest stuff called surge - its awesome stuff - i have half a serving about 30 mins before i train and half a serving during then another half when i finish along with a set amount of fruit to give me the required insulin spike.

Mixing fats and carbs is also why i reccomend keeping carb intake to before 2pm, as the carbs will be mostly digested and utilised by the time it comes to eating your dietary fats in the evening.

People can make of it what they want, currently im trying to base training and nutrition on the views of a man called christian thibaudeau, id highly reccomend reading his books and articles as they are amongst the best out there.
Laney

26th Mar 09 at 21:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Well your diet is definately setting yourself up for a nice high bodyfat percentage!

I read something about body types and that some people don't really store as much fat as others? Hows that fit in with all this stuff?
SAS-1991

26th Mar 09 at 22:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Laney
quote:

I read something about body types and that some people don't really store as much fat as others? Hows that fit in with all this stuff?

Well mine dont store any... what so evver... if thats the case.. lol
BarnshaW

26th Mar 09 at 22:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have managed to put on a stone in the last month healthily, my body fat has noticably decreased and muscles grown, my routine so far is:

meal 1 - bowl of oats and 400g natural yoghurt, brazil nuts

meal 2 - sliced grilled chicken steak in brown bread

meal 3 - either tuna or chicken again in brown bread and 400g yoghurt

meal 4 - chicken/tuna and 2 glass of milk

meal 5 - natural yogurt/tub of cottage cheese , maybe some sliced chicken breast

meal 6 - more cottage cheese/yoghurt and low fat peanut butter on brown bread toast

its not an ideal diet and not entirely balanced but i find it easy to keep by and with a 5 day a week workout i have seen massive improvement in 2 months, also i have noticed my skin become much healthier and less blemishy, have also cut out all alcohol

fyi - 23rd jan i weighed in at 9 stone 13 and now i am 10 stone 13

[Edited on 26-03-2009 by BarnshaW]

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Putting weight on..... 22 database queries in 0.0180809 seconds