corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Astra VXR lovers

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Astra VXR lovers
Ojc

User status: Offline
28th Mar 09 at 19:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by big eck
quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes
i think if you are coming from a leon cupra and a civic type-r you wont like the astra at all.

Why? CTR will feel athsmatic in comparision, Leon's power delivery is a bit bland and I certainly wouldn't say the handling is better in the Leon.

If you ask VXR owners who have switched over from CTR's they will say that fitting the RARB transforms to so that it handles exactly like their old CTR's.

Gotta admit my LCR power delivery is anything but bland lol, probably because its been mapped

Thats also a very big claim that they handle like the CTRs, the wifes one is lowered on eibach springs and it corners like its on fookin rails

Either way I still want a VXR

I just think they look superb its just the reliability of them I want to know about

Its good that a set of springs and ARB is all it needs to make it handle well

Whats the gains like of a map???

Honestly, it handles as well as a CTR with the upgrades I've suggested.
Ojc

28th Mar 09 at 19:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
personal preferences really. none of them liked the vauxhall at all to drive going fast or just as normal work and back car.

I don't like my car in traffic either. But who does? Get it out somewhere where you can enjoy it properly.
Nic Barnes

28th Mar 09 at 19:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but thats handling like a std ctr. so really it handles worse out the box than the other out the box car. these are the things my mates down the car park all noticed. this is whats inferior about them. you have to modify them to make them as good as equivelants.
Nic Barnes

28th Mar 09 at 19:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
quote:
personal preferences really. none of them liked the vauxhall at all to drive going fast or just as normal work and back car.

I don't like my car in traffic either. But who does? Get it out somewhere where you can enjoy it properly.

my left leg was dead from driving the corsa through traffic today at lunchtime on way to a mates after work. paddle clutches are fuckin shite for traffic.
big eck

Nic your putting me off

Ideally the Burg would be the car to have, a guy in my neighbouring town as one and it looks and sounds immense but there still just to pricey.

So do you think its feasible to find a good one for £10k???

Do they come with HID lights btw, I knows its a small detail but after owning my last 3 cars with them I couldnt go back to standard shitty lights
andy1868

and you'd have to modify a ctr to go as quick as an astra, swings and roundabouts
big eck

28th Mar 09 at 19:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hmmm I dunt know andy, the CTR isnt as slow as most people make it out to be. The wifes one would give a standard VXR a run for it money

I just love the looks of them I guess.
Fad

28th Mar 09 at 19:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seriously the only way you will know is if you drive one get a proper full on test drive and see how you get on.

Ollies VXR is a very capable car and being a passenger in it around the ring is does definately generate masse of mechanical grip. I am yet to go out in it since the ARB has been fitted.

Since you have regular acess to a CTR this will more than make you a better judge of whether it is for you or not.

I do get what Nic is saying as Vauxhalls of past have always lacked driving dynamics and IMO they have only recently been playing catch up against the oposition.

[Edited on 28-03-2009 by Fad]
Nic Barnes

28th Mar 09 at 19:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by big eck
Nic your putting me off

drive one. imagine your lcr, and your missus's ctr and what it can do etc, how they feel to drive. you will see exactly what im on about.
big eck

28th Mar 09 at 19:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its just finding one close by to have a good enough go in Fad thats the problem

They all seem to be down south lol

I will be buying private as well so just trying to find one under £10k is a bit of a pain in the ass
Fad

28th Mar 09 at 19:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Surely one of the local dealers will have one? Not a specific one to buy but just to test drive and generally abuse. Then decide whether its for you

Failing that see if you have a local Avis or Enterprise as I know they usually keep VXR's on their books

big eck

28th Mar 09 at 19:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There is only one that I have found but there a bit wierd about letting you test drive there cars for some strange reason lol
Nic Barnes

28th Mar 09 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

id honestly say you will feel let down by the astra. yes theyre good. theyre one of the best vauxhall cars ever made in my opinion and great at what they do. its just its doing what other makes and cars did years ago, this is 2009. not 2001.

theyre a great looking car. but compared to other stuff, id say theyre average. a real drivers driver would look beyond the astra at other things. a man that loves vauxhalls will tell you everything else is crap compared to it.
Fad

28th Mar 09 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Surely if you turn up in your LCR you seem a potential customer?

I would love to turn up to a dealer dressed up a scum bag but with 20k in my back pocket just to see what kind of reaction you get lol:

Fad

28th Mar 09 at 19:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also this may be usefull as this was an Evo fleet car for a while

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evolongtermtests/209305/vauxhall_astra_vxr.html
Jambo

28th Mar 09 at 19:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive driven one, i thought it was excellent.

I sat in an ST and despised the interior, i sat in a meganne and wanted to drive one but never got the chance, and i love the nww ctr but aparently its shit according to the press

I dount you will be dissapointed at all, my mate has a leon its great, but the astra feels 10x newer/modern and drove brilliantly IMO
andy1868

28th Mar 09 at 20:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i was talking about the FN2 eck (don't know where i got that from )

i'd hazard a guess at the astra being the best car thats been brought to the table in this conversation
Ojc

28th Mar 09 at 20:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Fad
Also this may be usefull as this was an Evo fleet car for a while

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evolongtermtests/209305/vauxhall_astra_vxr.html

I've read it before, but had forgotten about it. This pretty much sums up my feelings.

You don't really realise just how good the Astra is until you get it out on the track and test the limits of just how far you can push it, you get the impression on normal road driving that any second she will let go, but it won't.

That article is the one to take notice of.
Fad

28th Mar 09 at 20:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

See you boys should stop jibbing me about reading Evo
Kano

29th Mar 09 at 01:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
you get the impression on normal road driving that any second she will let go, but it won't.

Couldnt agree with that more.. Had regular access to VXR's when I worked at vauxhall and always felt that when driving them hard they were very near the edge. Never driven one on track but would be interesting to see how far they can be pushed.

Eck, I've always preffered CTR's for their handling, ST's for the noise and build quality but the VXR definately feels the quickest and more brutal power delivery.
corsa_godfather

29th Mar 09 at 09:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Auto trader VXR

only one i could find close by mate,prob the same one u did
Graham88

29th Mar 09 at 14:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would get one out of any cars in that range.

I would absolutely love one but unfortunately insurance won't quote me under 3k now I lost my NCB
SilverCorsaSXI

29th Mar 09 at 15:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think you should get the corsa instead Eck
Ben J

29th Mar 09 at 15:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've never driven any of the Jap Crap alternatives, and wouldn't touch a Ford with Cosmo's but I love my VXR and won't be swapping it for a long time.

Springs and a RARB transform them, and mines now Stage 2 and is an absolute animal!

The thing with VXR's is they maybe aren't as refined as the German equivalant, and supposedley don't handle as well (in standard form) as the Jap Crap equivalent but the whole reason I wanted one was the fact they are a drivers car, and in turn take a bit of driving to get the best from them.

Tbh...I still get excited everytime I walk up to and get in mine, and once my JP exhaust starts to burble and pop, i've got a semi.

taylorboosh

29th Mar 09 at 15:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my golf has a whiteline rear arb and fuck me it transforms it loads

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Astra VXR lovers 22 database queries in 0.0152659 seconds