corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Uni at night over easter + gigabit LAN =

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Uni at night over easter + gigabit LAN =
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

User status: Offline
12th Apr 09 at 20:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
It's http traffic, I don't know if it can be blocked at all.

layer 7 inspection, very fancy firewalls can do this. Quite shocking they allow a single workstation to use that much b/w through the network. How sloppy!
noshua

12th Apr 09 at 23:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Andrew

14th Apr 09 at 20:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's pretty silly them allowing you to pull down such files on a university network.

As willay has stated, it can be blocked using a fancy firewall. They have obviously got some fancy kit in place to allow you to get those kinds of speeds in the first place.

We used to install some fancy Firewalls at my old place. None of us knew what half the shit did
drunkenfool

15th Apr 09 at 08:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rapidshare is a bit of a different case though cos its harder to track what files are being downloaded. Say one HD rip is split into 20 x 200mb chuncks all on different servers, they would have to find all 20 parts and know the password to extract the file and see whats being downloaded, as far as they know it could just be something uni related. Of course though, I do understand what you are all saying about the uni network being able to be used like this but at the end of the day im a happy end user and not a network admin with sloppy security protocols
pow
Premium Member

15th Apr 09 at 11:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
quote:
Originally posted by John
It's http traffic, I don't know if it can be blocked at all.

layer 7 inspection, very fancy firewalls can do this. Quite shocking they allow a single workstation to use that much b/w through the network. How sloppy!

"Who's taking up all the banddwidthhhhh"
Tommy L

15th Apr 09 at 11:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

works doesnt come close

Dom

15th Apr 09 at 16:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by drunkenfool
Rapidshare is a bit of a different case though cos its harder to track what files are being downloaded. Say one HD rip is split into 20 x 200mb chuncks all on different servers, they would have to find all 20 parts and know the password to extract the file and see whats being downloaded, as far as they know it could just be something uni related. Of course though, I do understand what you are all saying about the uni network being able to be used like this but at the end of the day im a happy end user and not a network admin with sloppy security protocols

you'd just block access to rapidshare servers there's no legitimate reason for a uni student to be downloading off there.....

[Edited on 15-04-2009 by Dom]
dan_m1les

16th Apr 09 at 12:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My work is aweful!

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll