corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » unemployed day

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author unemployed day
taylorboosh

User status: Offline
10th Jun 09 at 16:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kevxx
MCJOB

they have took the mcjob banners down mate
Paul_J

10th Jun 09 at 16:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thing is... I know it's credit crunch etc... but if you're unable to get a job you are applying for 50 times...

Then you've got to ask why you aren't getting the job?

- Do you ask for feedback after interviews (if you get them?)

- If you aren't getting interviews then you simply do not have 'what they are looking for', whether it be experience or qualifications...

Your two options there are

A ) change what jobs you are applying for (aim lower / different).

B ) try to get the things required for the jobs.

in Regards to B ) you may need to get more quals / certifications or more experience.

Experience = chicken and egg, but if your out of a job for months and months it's worth while asking to work somewhere 'for free' but in the same market place you want to work in for real.

This A ) gets you experience on the cv and B ) may land you a job when they see how capable you are (working for free).

My Auntie was made redundant and has been struggling to get a job for AGES... but yet she refuses to try to retrain herself and get some I.T. skills (due to most jobs requiring that these days).

My mate from uni had geography degree, aimed for geography style jobs and has failed to get employed after about 9 months of trying. He's decided to take 'any' job and is now selling bathrooms at 'bathstore' as a salesman.

It's not what he wants to do, but is earning him money and gaining him experience for when things 'improve'.
*JonnyG*

10th Jun 09 at 16:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just looked on BnQ, no jobs near me.
taylorboosh

10th Jun 09 at 16:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thtas it mate i have applied for every job i can do, its only been 2 weeks since i started so most probably havent even had interviews yet, its just i am desperate to find something, anything but it needs to pay the bills so free isnt an option
corsasriboy

10th Jun 09 at 17:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i got made redundant about 2 months ago now. had a couple of crazy weeks partying then decided to set up on my own (with some helpful advice from the cs members). i've had some steady-ish work. not earning half as much as i was but things seem to be getting busier, word of mouth etc etc. and at the end of the day i own my own company and work when i want. quite lucky havnt moved out yet so dont have many big outgoings, obviously i pay my way at home but its no where near what it would cost living by myself.
Nick-S

10th Jun 09 at 17:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^ what do you do?
corsasriboy

10th Jun 09 at 17:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

at the minute i'm doing a real mix of stuff, just taking what i can get. minor car repairs, servicing, bit of bodywork, caravan and motorhome interior repairs etc. but i'm a qualified boat maintenance engineer and fitter (used to work here), so i'm working towards repairing luxury yachts i.e. the interior carpentry, air con, basic electrics, fibreglass and gel coat repairs. done a couple so far, got to go and have a first assessment of someones boat this saturday actually in preparation to do some work on it.

really like working for myself though. apart from the paperwork which i find a bit boring and tedious, but gives me something to do if i fancy a lazy day, or its shit whether and i dont want to go outside.lol.
Shell
Premium Member

10th Jun 09 at 18:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Phone around places, go visit employers etc. Something like 70% of jobs aren't advertised, and any jobs applied for through monster etc rarely get a reply, I'm convinced the places must get so much stuff looking the same from these websites that they just don't even look at them. There is ALWAYS some sort of job, it's just all about are you willing to take on a shite job until you can find something better.
Seegeemusic

10th Jun 09 at 18:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been out of work since end of March & really struggling to find work, I hate going to the job center to sign on but what can you do. Bad times at the moment.
Whittie

10th Jun 09 at 18:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How much do you get for signing on?

[Edited on 10-06-2009 by Whittie]
Seegeemusic

10th Jun 09 at 18:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I get just over £100 every 2weeks. That last's pretty much 5min then it's all gone HA!
Nick-S

10th Jun 09 at 18:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cant rember off top of my hed but its about £47 a week.
Gareth F

10th Jun 09 at 20:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im 23 and have been working since i was 15, ive just lost my job where i was on 18k plus bonuses and now i find myself redundant for the second time this year. Think its hit me pretty hard as ive just moved out and only have 5 weeks pay. Ive lost 9lbs in 2 weeks, cant afford to eat much. Its a choice between eat or put fuel in the car to get to job interveiws. I sit at home most days staring into space, sometimes think im depressed. Spend 5 days waiting for my gf to come down and visit. Im sure theres more people here that are in worse situations but i dont think i can handle this again........
mattk

10th Jun 09 at 20:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im doing a bit of my own work now, Im still skint but Im managing, only thing that has changed about me since I stopped work in Feb is the amount Im drinking

on the ale every night now cause I dont have to get up
richc

10th Jun 09 at 20:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by GSi_16v
Cant rember off top of my hed but its about £47 a week.

How do you pay for your car?

I think i would struggle to run just my bike on that, never mind a fairly new car
Gareth F

10th Jun 09 at 20:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

On the radio it saaid most unemployed men are turning to alcohol to pass the time
I see their point but cider at 9 am for breakfast is not a substitute for apple juice
mattk

10th Jun 09 at 20:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldnt say Ive turned to it, Im not depressed, Im quite happy at the moment, I just love strongbow

My car is paid for, insurance I paid in one go, thats the good thing for me, I have no outgoings at all
Andrew

10th Jun 09 at 20:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gareth F
On the radio it saaid most unemployed men are turning to alcohol to pass the time
I see their point but cider at 9 am for breakfast is not a substitute for apple juice

I heard this on my to work this morning
Gareth F

10th Jun 09 at 20:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lolglad someone knew what i was on about
I have a beer whilst i clean/decorate the house with stuff i found in the shed but dont think i could drink like that
ljames555

10th Jun 09 at 20:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what I find amusing is that the people you see in the job centre who sign you on earn between 27k - 30k a year, I know this because a temp job was advertised there.
I really think that there duties arent worth that sort of money even though they do put up with scum bags 90% of the time.
Andrew

10th Jun 09 at 20:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They deal with some right scum bags though James
ljames555

10th Jun 09 at 20:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah me included
Fee

10th Jun 09 at 20:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A few people have been made redundant from my work in the last couple of weeks.
Scary stuff
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it doesnt happen to me, but if it does I'll be straight on a plane to singapore looking for a job there
mattk

10th Jun 09 at 20:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have to go sign on tomorra, I fucking hate it, they look at you as if you are a right twat
Gareth F

10th Jun 09 at 20:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I went in there (some people on here know what i look like) and the bloke looked up and said yes can i help as though to say yet another yob and he was really surprised when i spoke as i speak properly with manners. Mad me laugh when i walked out, he was very nice and helped me out quite a bit. I suppose they deal with so many pricks in there.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » unemployed day 22 database queries in 0.0154171 seconds