corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Bike Night:Which bike to choose

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Bike Night:Which bike to choose
Eck
Premium Member

User status: Offline
27th Jun 09 at 10:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hayabusa or Ninja ZX12R
CORSA NUT

27th Jun 09 at 10:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll look in ot the 600F's cheers for that.

xa0s i've always had quick cars and my last scooby was 320 bhp and that was a bit scary when it was on full chat so i see what you mean.The problem is that i'm a bit of a speed junkie and i don't want to get somthing and think...i want somthing quicker now

I'll probably go for the Bandit/Fazer option with a grab handle.
CORSA NUT

27th Jun 09 at 10:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Silver 600F

Change to distance BTW

The second one down is Intakes look awesome!! Has a grab handle too

[Edited on 27-06-2009 by CORSA NUT]
mattk

27th Jun 09 at 11:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Honda VTR1000 Firestorm
DizzyRebel

27th Jun 09 at 15:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bandit, hornet and fazer are not sporty at all. They are commuters and thats it so if your using the bike for enjoyment DO NOT BUY ONE.

I assume you want something thats going to be ok to take a pillion on for a ride out somewhere, is capable of taking you on a short tour but will also be fun to ride on your own on a twisty road. Also fuck grab handles, your pillion should be holding onto your waist - holding onto the handles is one way of making sure you loose them in a hurry!

The options for you are as follows:

Aprilia SL Falco

Aprilia RSV Mille

Aprilia RSV Tuono

Honda CBR600F

Honda VFR800

Honda blackbird

Kawasaki ZX12

Kawasaki Z1000

Ducati monster

There are other bikes out there but that is just a shortlist. Older versions of new sportsbikes might be of interest to you as well, K1 GSX-R750 and a 98 R1 would be good to live with daily but not as comfortable for long journeys.

Add up what you want most from the bike, if you using it primarily for fun go for a sportsbike, if your going touring 2-3 times a year with regular pillion use a sports tourer would be more your bag.

CORSA NUT

27th Jun 09 at 15:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for all that Dizz

I've got to say i really like the silver 600f i posted above!
DizzyRebel

27th Jun 09 at 16:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If its your first id probably go with a 600f. I cant see the one you posted but you should be able to get an 02 onwards for 3k, at the very least you want an 00.

Test ride it frst, but there very good all rounders.
CORSA NUT

27th Jun 09 at 17:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll try and post the direct link mate....

600F in Silver
Half Pint

27th Jun 09 at 17:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i can ask my uncle if he is selling his 748 sps.....
DizzyRebel

27th Jun 09 at 17:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks a tad expensive mate but its low mileage. Id maybe got for one about the 2k mark as i dont think you will keep it that long!
CORSA NUT

27th Jun 09 at 17:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol why mate??

Will i just get bored of the speed???
richc

27th Jun 09 at 17:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CORSA NUT
lol why mate??

Will i just get bored of the speed???

Yer i think that is a little pricey. I think my mate paid that 4 years ago from lower miles!

No you will not get bored of the speed. They get to 150 easy.
DizzyRebel

27th Jun 09 at 17:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah there only about 90bhp and hardly a lightweight. You will probably keep it for a season then want either a 600/750 supersport or 1000 sports tourer.
CORSA NUT

27th Jun 09 at 17:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bloody hell don't say that mate i'm bad enough with cars

I could do with spending as little as possible but still have a nice bike TBH as i need cash for my gear A dear doo this is.
Daimo B

28th Jun 09 at 16:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DizzyRebel
Bandit, hornet and fazer are not sporty at all. They are commuters and thats it so if your using the bike for enjoyment DO NOT BUY ONE.

Absolute rubbish... Bandits far more than a commuter. Granted its cheap bike, soft suspension, but its still great fun to ride and hussle around. As for commuting, well sure i've done that, its great for it. But, its superb as I can fit a topbox and the missis has a great backrest, great for a new pillion rider!!! Also, who do you think was far more comfy on my recent trip to france? Big tank, ample space to take luggage, but because of the softer suspension, it can take UK road bumps far better than say an R6.. (which oblitorates mine in most other ways ). Took 780 miles in one day in its stride, not even a sore ass or back Still quick enough to leave my (admittidly much newer rider mates) round some mountain roads, even keeping with some locals

People saying about litre bikes for a new rider is rubbish and silly. There are plenty of capable bikes with smaller engines that suit a new rider for a FIRST bike.

Some good options given. You've said you like the sporty look so that instantly puts you into the 600cc class. You REALLY don't need anything bigger. I assure you it will be plenty to scare you sh!tless for a while!!

Bandit 650 /S *2 models
ER6N
SV650 /S

All capable cheap bikes that your pillion will enjoy more..

If you really want to go sports, £3k will put you in R6/GSXR/ZX6R/CBR territory. The CBR is probably the best overal, but I love the K4 GSXR range looks. Also a Daytona 600? Not as quick as the above, but still plenty and great handling little bikes.

Or you got naked range, Monsters etc.

Don't get a thou though, you don't need it. Theres time, and honestly, the bikes all listed will loose you your license quite quickly

[Edited on 28-06-2009 by VXR]
sand-eel

28th Jun 09 at 17:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

TBH I'm wanting to do my DAS I've been riding bikes since I was 10 (11 years) so its about time I got a proper bike, I can't decide between an R6 or zx6r, the zx6r seems cheaper but doesn't look as good as the R6, the R6 is slightly heavier as well.
The VFR800 is a good bike my dad had one, but they have 2 side mounted rads so harder to work on, also a lot heavier than a sports bike.
sand-eel

28th Jun 09 at 17:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

www.bikez.com is good for specs etc I find.
CORSA NUT

28th Jun 09 at 18:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for the input there Daimo Much appreciated.

Went to a local bikers pub today whilst the sun was out and i just can't get the looks of the sports bikes out of my head!

Must just be the boy in me Have you got some pics of your bike with the backrest etc Daimo??

Cheers for the site sand-eel i'll have a look see
DizzyRebel

28th Jun 09 at 23:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sand-eel
TBH I'm wanting to do my DAS I've been riding bikes since I was 10 (11 years) so its about time I got a proper bike, I can't decide between an R6 or zx6r, the zx6r seems cheaper but doesn't look as good as the R6, the R6 is slightly heavier as well.
The VFR800 is a good bike my dad had one, but they have 2 side mounted rads so harder to work on, also a lot heavier than a sports bike.

VFR are shit to work on, i wouldnt touch one if somone asked for anything other than tires or oil change!

Also you cant do DAS anymore, you have to start on a 125 and theres no way around it unfortunately.
sand-eel

28th Jun 09 at 23:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

whaaaaaaaaat?
so you have to run a 125cc for 2 years and thats it?
I got a quote for DAS today though.
Colin

28th Jun 09 at 23:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You should start on something smaller mate, jump on something too big & it will end up in tears........................as happened with Jade last night -

sand-eel

28th Jun 09 at 23:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You should have said it was too powerful
DizzyRebel

28th Jun 09 at 23:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sand-eel
whaaaaaaaaat?
so you have to run a 125cc for 2 years and thats it?
I got a quote for DAS today though.

Some test centres might do it. Almost 100% you cant do a das course anymore though, best to check with the dvla how to attain the licence now.
Daimo B

29th Jun 09 at 08:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CORSA NUT
Must just be the boy in me Have you got some pics of your bike with the backrest etc Daimo??

I've always had the hard frame luggage rack fitted, i just remove the top box. Think theres a shot/link in the "my bike pic" post.

Mines an S, so comes with the front fairing, essential for long riding. But most bikes (of this type) will have an S and a non faired version.

Still say the SV650S is the best NEW biker bike.. Then move onto a SS600 after.

Still good for sub 4 to 60mph, 12.5 1/4 mile, and 130+mph top end...

Thing is with a smaller bike, the gears are shorter, so your in 5th by 100mph. When going round some back roads, you need to use the gearbox a lot more, where-as a 600cc sports, or litre bike, you can stay in 1 gear and just open/close the throttle.

Coming flying into a roundabout section, knocking it down 2-3 gears, up, up, up, down down, up up up as you come in, out of the RA.. Bigger bikes don't need this so IMO loose a sense of the fun eliment of riding a smaller bike faster and harder.

End of the day, whatever you get first (like a car, you make mistakes on a new bike, you learn to take care of it, make mistakes (while stationary, cleaning, maintaining), you make a mess of it, learn, and apply for your new bike when you've got experience.

Not just go out and get the biggest fastest bike in your budget, as suggested by some "in the know bikers", who arn't all that in the know or they wouldn't be offering you such stupid advice for a new rider + pillion...

This advice should be left to the "boyracers" of the bike world. Do you want to be a biker boyracer?

Go to the bike meets, and ask a few questions like" should I get a 1000cc for my first bike".

The bikeracers will go "yeerrrrrr m8 innit, dey is blinding"

Proper bikers will do nothing but offer you the advice to stay well away from them......

I can assure you, a 50-80bhp bike as a first bike really is plenty enough. It'll get boring sure, so thats when you move up..

You wouldn't get the keys of an enzo to a driver who's just passed their test? Similar thing, expect the bikes are much much MUCH faster.....
DizzyRebel

29th Jun 09 at 10:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I never had a mid sized bike, i went straight from an RS250 to an R1 and it never posed any problems to me. If your sensible and realise how powerful the bike is you soon learn its only as fast as you ride it.

Faggot bikers who never ride fast, put their hazards on on track days and have chcken strips as wide as the humber on their tires tell you to work your way up, a 600cc ss is fine to start off on - a year or 2 and you will want a 750+ to play with.

No one can tell you your own capabilities except you, some people can get on a 1000cc and learn to ride it in a week - others struggle to get the hang of a 125 for years and shouldnt be allowed on the road.

Like i said, test ride and see what you feel fits the bill best. Touring isnt fun on a 600 though, 1000cc twin or 750/800 4 would be better suited to the job.

[Edited on 29-06-2009 by DizzyRebel]

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Bike Night:Which bike to choose 22 database queries in 0.0192761 seconds