corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » quad bikes

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author quad bikes
Hammer

User status: Offline
6th Jul 09 at 16:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by cb87
untill they got the hang or riding alone (under supervision) yes

At the age of 5 and 6 I'd personally say no, the question you should be asking yourself is how would you feel if one comes off and breaks a bone or worse?
chloe16v

6th Jul 09 at 16:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they could fall off there trampoline and do that
Cosmo

6th Jul 09 at 16:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fall off a trampoline and falling off a heavy quadbike that could then go on top of them is slightly different.
Phi

6th Jul 09 at 16:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not as much as they could on a qaud bike!
Phi

6th Jul 09 at 17:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this is what yo u want if your serious http://www.fun4kids.co.uk/kids-quads.html

when they are older and actually intereted in it then get a bigger one

they still need helmets etc for these

[Edited on 06-07-2009 by Corsa_phi]
bigboykarl

6th Jul 09 at 17:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

be careful not sure where in south yorks u are but in barnsley chronicle last week they had a story about police seizing off road bikes around thurnscoe/goldthorpe/bolton
sand-eel

6th Jul 09 at 18:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't see the difference between if they were 6 or if you leave it a few years, they might be a bit stronger etc but can still fall off a quad at any age and do the same damage of falling off a tranpoline. I would actually say a quad was safer as if it falls over you know which way and can brace yourself, a trampoline tends to be more random when and where you fall off TBH.
Hammer

6th Jul 09 at 18:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sand-eel
I don't see the difference between if they were 6 or if you leave it a few years, they might be a bit stronger etc but can still fall off a quad at any age and do the same damage of falling off a tranpoline. I would actually say a quad was safer as if it falls over you know which way and can brace yourself, a trampoline tends to be more random when and where you fall off TBH.

Allowing a 5 year old to ride a quad bike is not safer than allowing them to jump on a trampoline.
Cosmo

6th Jul 09 at 18:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sand-eel

Firstly the difference mentally, let alone physically, between a 6yr old and a child a few years older is huge.

Secondly, you cannot compare falling off a trampoline to falling off a quad. Falling off a trampoline you know all thats going to happen is a drop off the side of a few feet. Im not saying you cant seriously hurt yourself doing so (you can) but compared to being on a motorised quad that can then go on top of you its less dangerous. And expecting a 6yr old to know which way its going to fall and brace themselves is probably expecting a little too much.
JonnyJ

6th Jul 09 at 18:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Someone once Stone Cold Stunnered me on a trampoline. Bad idea
Joe

6th Jul 09 at 18:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JonnyJ

Is that what happened to your face mate? sorry to hear it was all a bad accident.
JonnyJ

6th Jul 09 at 18:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Joe
quote:
Originally posted by JonnyJ

Is that what happened to your face mate? sorry to hear it was all a bad accident.

It wasnt just my face that was an accident
sand-eel

6th Jul 09 at 18:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can't see the problem TBH Kids on trampolines don't tend to wear helmets and body guards on a quad they would, or should anyway.
Say the quad is restricted it won't go very fast, so you fall off and roll about a bit BOO, fall off a trampoline which is higher and smash you head off the side of it with no helmet. IMO TBH.
Cosmo

6th Jul 09 at 18:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A helmet is the equivalent of that stupid net guard thing that go around trampolines.

How are they going to hurt themselves then? A helmet will only stop their heads getting smashed in, wont stop the rest of their bones breaking.
chloe16v

6th Jul 09 at 18:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

corsasriboy

6th Jul 09 at 18:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by cb87
at the rear of my nans house there is a field that is used alot by off road bikers, my son is 5 in a couple of weeks and my daughter will be 6 august, now i have thought about buying them a quad bike to use in the field but dont know if they would be too young yet, obv i wouldnt lket them use it on there own there would always be some one on the back of them, but what are your thoughts? would you say they are too young?

the bit in bold is what i'd worry about. i used to ride quads and stuff when i was younger, now i ride moto x bikes. i hate riding anywhere near little kids on there quads and bikes on practice tracks, let alone a bit of wasteland with no official supervision/insurance/guidelines/track direction. we were lucky as i had a friend with a farm who let us use his fields so there was no one else around to hit/hit me. kids always just change direction without any thought to anything else, they are too young to think about everything around them. i saw a guy land on a kid once through no fault of his own on the downslope of a jump at a practice track, was horrible, makes your blood run cold. i couldnt imagine the feeling if i that was me that landed on them.

if you could find a safe place to use them i dont see why not with the correct safety gear, supervision, guidance maybe lessons etc etc
chloe16v

6th Jul 09 at 18:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

we have been looking at this one and the only thing that is putting us off is that it is 2 stroke http://www.fastbuggies.co.uk/acatalog/info_24.html
lozarus

6th Jul 09 at 19:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

get a suzuki lt50, that wil be fine.
taylorboosh

6th Jul 09 at 19:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

2 strokes are fine, much faster than a four stroke
fir3vip3r

6th Jul 09 at 19:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

id say there old enough...

but stop pissing about with quad bikes get them a pw50
chloe16v

6th Jul 09 at 19:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'd love to, my brother started with a puch at 4yrs old, but they cant ride a 2 wheeled bike yet
DizzyRebel

6th Jul 09 at 19:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get them on it, a 50cc 4 stroke will be fine. My nephew was driving a petrol powered buggy at the age of 3 and on his quad at the same time too. Started on a pw50 mx bike at 4 and now hes a right speed demon on a ktm 65 crosser and a polaris buggy and hes 7!

[Edited on 06-07-2009 by DizzyRebel]
Andrew

6th Jul 09 at 21:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't personally let my kids on one. At the age of 14/15 yeah, but not at such a young age.

As you say, they wouldn't be on the bike alone. But what happens if someone runs into them?

I'm not jumping on the bandwagon here as i totally think cs is out of order constantly having a pop at you. But you are their mother and need to make these decisions for yourself rather than asking a bunch of lads on her who need to grow up themselves.
DizzyRebel

6th Jul 09 at 21:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just make sure you have someone who knows what they are doing to teach them how to ride it and supervise them. 4 is a fine age to get them started on a bike. Most of the best racers in the world started at 3/4 years old and then since their skills were so advanced at an early age they are now champions.

14/15 is too old to start them on one, get them on a bike at 4 so they are ready for schoolboy motox for age 8. if they are fast they will get headhunted and with a bit of luck end up in factory teams.
Andrew

6th Jul 09 at 21:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Personal preference mate. I'd rather know my kids were safe than be sorry.

As i've said, Chloe is their mother!

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » quad bikes 22 database queries in 0.0170529 seconds