corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » CAD vs drawing boards

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author CAD vs drawing boards
CorsAsh

User status: Offline
9th Jul 09 at 16:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends on the software. I use Alias, it's NURBS based and far more intuitive than AutoCAD or Catia.

In general I use a combination of both sketching and computer. Initial ideas and so on are sketched quickly, then CAD for the more accurate design work.

Just whatever works best in a given situation tbh.
Jules S
Premium Member

9th Jul 09 at 20:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AndyKent
One downside is that being able to zoom in so much, you loose the overview that you get with drawing full size.

With a pen to stop and look at the overall design as well as the details, whereas I find with CAD you can often overlook major details because you're so concentrated on the minor details.

Dual/multi screens
sand-eel

9th Jul 09 at 21:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If its just for drawing any laptop/pc will work fine, if your running an analysis program you need a fast Mhz computer and with a lot of RAM.
CorsAsh

9th Jul 09 at 22:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For Alias and Maya I use a Dell Precision T7500.
a_j_mair

10th Jul 09 at 09:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is the pdf underlay just in the full version or on LT aswell?
ed

10th Jul 09 at 17:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sketching for communication. CAD for work.
Bart

10th Jul 09 at 17:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Another thing to consider is document issue, if you need to send drawings for approval/comments, you dont want to be farting about scanning in etc you just want File -> PDF -> email

CAD everytime for me, even sketching Ed, its still quicker IMO
ed

10th Jul 09 at 18:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends on your job. I'm a designer and i'd look a twat if I couldn't sketch out an idea in front on a client in a conversation...
CorsAsh

10th Jul 09 at 18:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Especially if the person you're talking to doesn't understand a word you're saying.
Bart

10th Jul 09 at 18:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I suppose it really depends on what your designing...

Im more electrical based and dont really have a need to hand sketch.

What do you guys do?
ed

10th Jul 09 at 19:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Industrial design. So a lot of 3D cad and
making stuff pretty
CorsAsh

10th Jul 09 at 19:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
Automotive design. So a lot of 3D cad and making stuff pretty
Bart

10th Jul 09 at 19:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what sort of things guys?
CorsAsh

10th Jul 09 at 19:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cars, Audis to be precise.
ed

10th Jul 09 at 20:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've a job in August which is designing some headphones. Not sure what's special about them because they're some secret design and there will be non disclosure stuff there. I'm going to be doing a medical device again as part
of my research project.
Tiesto

10th Jul 09 at 21:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just draw Straight lines and very occasionaly arcs. Don't use half of the commands available, I haven't a clue how they work or what they do!

Design Roads and Drainage btw.
Jules S
Premium Member

10th Jul 09 at 21:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've yet to meet a designer that jumps straight onto any sort of CAD package to envisage their design in 3D.

It's always pen to paper, a few sketches then handed over to a cad monkey to model it. Every single architect i work with has a drawing board...they fiddle with every aspect of their designs endlessly before letting another bod do some presentation/models.

I dont doubt that will change in time, but i cant see it in this generation.

To put an analogy to this (and I believe this will happen in time) I watched a BBC news bite that stated that handwriting will become obsolete in the future as every kid will be typing letters etc. to me that was reality, my boss (an architect) argued that if he did nothing else he would hand write birthday/christmas cards and his signature on letters.

It was my mums 75th birthday today, I got her a card and visited her to say hello and hand deliver it.

She thanked me for that, adding that everybody else in the family had sent her a 'happy birthday' text message.

Something is very wrong in the digital age if you ask me
Simon

10th Jul 09 at 22:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I work in an architects practice and we have one drawing board which as someone has said before has become a pinboard. Our work starts being sketched out and then drawn up in autocad and then sketched over again and this goes on and on. Its rare that drawing by hand is taken as far forward as to drawing boards.

I think they both work well next to each other, the initial idea as a sketch and then working it out on the computer which can then be sketched upon again to develop the idea further etc. most of my sketches and idead happen on postit notes littered across my desk
micra_pete
Premium Member

11th Jul 09 at 16:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CorsAsh
Cars, Audis to be precise.

knobhead.

CorsAsh

11th Jul 09 at 17:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I design cars for cocks.
Daveskater
Premium Member

11th Jul 09 at 17:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by micra_pete
its like an x-ref, but with a pdf, plus if the pdf was made in autocad (not a scan) you can snap to the god damn lines!

Greatest thing since cad moved to windows.
No wai Do you attach it like normal? X-ref's are involved in every job I do and sometimes some architects forget to send us dwg's and just send pdf's

My company does building services, I mainly do mechanical things so heating and ventilation etc Have made a few 3D models in a different program for heat loss and cooling load calculations

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
Simon

11th Jul 09 at 18:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Daveskater
quote:
Originally posted by micra_pete
its like an x-ref, but with a pdf, plus if the pdf was made in autocad (not a scan) you can snap to the god damn lines!

Greatest thing since cad moved to windows.
No wai Do you attach it like normal? X-ref's are involved in every job I do and sometimes some architects forget to send us dwg's and just send pdf's

My company does building services, I mainly do mechanical things so heating and ventilation etc Have made a few 3D models in a different program for heat loss and cooling load calculations

Your damn 3D modelled trees giving us bad daylight factors!
Daveskater
Premium Member

11th Jul 09 at 18:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hey, that's not my department Someone else has been dealing with that It's been a topic of discussion again round our place though, gas and water supplies I think.

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
RichR
Premium Member

13th Jul 09 at 11:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jules S
I've yet to meet a designer that jumps straight onto any sort of CAD package to envisage their design in 3D.

It's always pen to paper, a few sketches then handed over to a cad monkey to model it. Every single architect i work with has a drawing board...they fiddle with every aspect of their designs endlessly before letting another bod do some presentation/models.

I dont doubt that will change in time, but i cant see it in this generation.

To put an analogy to this (and I believe this will happen in time) I watched a BBC news bite that stated that handwriting will become obsolete in the future as every kid will be typing letters etc. to me that was reality, my boss (an architect) argued that if he did nothing else he would hand write birthday/christmas cards and his signature on letters.

It was my mums 75th birthday today, I got her a card and visited her to say hello and hand deliver it.

She thanked me for that, adding that everybody else in the family had sent her a 'happy birthday' text message.

Something is very wrong in the digital age if you ask me

Its very, very rare that we'll sketch; occasionnaly we'll relay a sketch to a customer during a meeting etc but the only time Ireally skecth is fag packet designs to sort out shop floor fuck ups; everything else is entirely 3D modelling and structural testing along with calculations
RichR
Premium Member

13th Jul 09 at 11:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CorsAsh
quote:
Originally posted by ed
Marine design. So a lot of 3D cad and not really thinking about how it looks so long as it works

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » CAD vs drawing boards 23 database queries in 0.0136249 seconds