corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » 1.6 too big for 1st car?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 1.6 too big for 1st car?
scottl

User status: Offline
29th Jul 09 at 12:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have a star silver 1.0 club (which is still my first car). it now has the sport interior which cost a total of 40 quid for the seats and door cards. bought a set of cavy slabs, painted them graphite.
Eck
Premium Member

29th Jul 09 at 12:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mobby
My brothers got a 1.6 16v 106, its been two weeks he hasnt killed himself yet

If the speed doesn't get him, the lift off oversteer will
will_doyle
Banned

29th Jul 09 at 12:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BluKoo
quote:
Originally posted by will_doyle
So you can only get a 1.2 , 1.3 , 1.4 or 1.6 if you plan to drive fast?

No, but whats the point in paying heaps more for insurance if you'd be just as happy with a 1.0 or 1.2?

Only that I have seen a nice 1.6 sport..

If I see a nice 1.4 sport I will buy it.. but aint yet
Corsa_Sport21

29th Jul 09 at 12:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why should he get a 1.0 though just because he dosnt like to drive fast??

I dont drive particularly fast but i like to have a car that can get to the speed limit in a reasonable time.
Eck
Premium Member

29th Jul 09 at 12:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Corsa_Sport21
Why should he get a 1.0 though just because he dosnt like to drive fast??

I dont drive particularly fast but i like to have a car that can get to the speed limit in a reasonable time.

And is actually safe enough to overtake in. I think 1.0's and 1.2 8v's are dangerous for the unbelievable lack of acceleration.
Daveskater
Premium Member

29th Jul 09 at 12:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can go fast(ish) in a 1.0, it just takes longer

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
Corsa_Sport21

29th Jul 09 at 12:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by noshua
you won't get affordable insurance on a 1.6 unless you go in your mum or dads name, which is fraud.

Whats fraudulant about that??
A2H GO

29th Jul 09 at 12:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had a 1.6 Gsi Corsa for my first car, needless to say i snapped and engine mount on the first night, fixed it, rolled it the second.
Daveskater
Premium Member

29th Jul 09 at 12:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
you won't get affordable insurance on a 1.6 unless you go in your mum or dads name, which is fraud.

If the car is in your name but the insurance in your parent's name with you a named driver, then they will void it. Likewise if they find out that you're using it every day to go out and about and your mum uses it once a month to go shopping.

Numberwang!

Look at my pictures
Kurt

29th Jul 09 at 12:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

its fronting

If your the main driver but claiming your parents are to make it cheaper then its bumming time
will_doyle
Banned

29th Jul 09 at 12:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Daveskater
quote:
quote:

If the car is in your name but the insurance in your parent's name with you a named driver, then they will void it. Likewise if they find out that you're using it every day to go out and about and your mum uses it once a month to go shopping.

If I am named driver and my mum is the second driver.. what is fraud about that..

she doesn't have to use it a certain amount if time does she?
Corsa_Sport21

29th Jul 09 at 12:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right,so you use your brain and put the car in your parents name and be a 2nd/named driver on the policy.

Edit,that reply wasnt in reply to your comment Will_Doyle.

[Edited on 29-07-2009 by Corsa_Sport21]
DannyB
Premium Member

29th Jul 09 at 12:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had an XSI for a first car, paid a lot for insurance, wouldn't advise it tbh. Get a 1.2 for a year or so.
Daveskater
Premium Member

29th Jul 09 at 12:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

If I am named driver and my mum is the second driver.. what is fraud about that..

That do you mean you're a named driver and your mum is the second driver? That makes no sense.

If you mean that the policy is in your name and you've put your mum on as a named driver then that's fine, it's a good way to drop the premium a bit. However the other way round is not fine.

[Edited on 29-07-2009 by Daveskater]

Numberwang!

Look at my pictures
Corsa_Sport21

29th Jul 09 at 12:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why isnt it fine???
will_doyle
Banned

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

That do you mean you're a named driver and your mum is the second driver? That makes no sense.

If you mean that the policy is in your name and you've put your mum on as a named driver then that's fine, it's a good way to drop the premium a bit. However the other way round is not fine.

[Edited on 29-07-2009 by Daveskater]

Yeah.. I think thats what I mean.
StueyBoy1989

i did that for my first 2 years, car in mums name mums policy, saved me alot of money as a student, now im working iv bought a new car and its in my name the lot.

I dont think theres any harm in doin what i did as other wise your going to get stupidly ripped off, even on a 1.0l.
Daveskater
Premium Member

29th Jul 09 at 12:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Why isnt it fine???
Because insurance companies will do anything to not pay out. If they find you're the main driver in reality, they will bring up the fact that the policy is in someone else's name and not pay out.

I paid just over £1300 for my first year, sometimes you gotta suck it up and pay the bill.

Numberwang!

Look at my pictures
A2H GO

29th Jul 09 at 12:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by StueyBoy1989
i did that for my first 2 years, car in mums name mums policy, saved me alot of money as a student, now im working iv bought a new car and its in my name the lot.

I dont think theres any harm in doin what i did as other wise your going to get stupidly ripped off, even on a 1.0l.

You used to be able to do it a few years ago but its been changed now so that to have the insurance in your name you have to be the owner and reg'd keeper of the car.

[Edited on 29-07-2009 by CorsAsh-Sport]
StueyBoy1989

29th Jul 09 at 12:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah thats what i did, an i still payed 1300 in my first year, was on a 1.4 sport an i got it cheap for the age an mileage.
Corsa_Sport21

29th Jul 09 at 12:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Why isnt it fine???
Because insurance companies will do anything to not pay out. If they find you're the main driver in reality, they will bring up the fact that the policy is in someone else's name and not pay out.

I paid just over £1300 for my first year, sometimes you gotta suck it up and pay the bill.

In reality how are they going to find out??I done it for about 3 years with my dad as the main driver and not once did i ever get questioned about being the main driver etc.Got stopped quite a few times and the coppers didnt mention anything like what your saying,even tho they wouldve knew by the cars i was driving,that they werent really my dads cars.
Corsa_Sport21

29th Jul 09 at 12:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CorsAsh-Sport
quote:

You used to be able to do it a few years ago but its been changed now so that to have the insurance in your name you have to be the owner and reg'd keeper of the car.

Thats bullshit too because i have always been the registered keeper of my cars,yet when i was banned/not insured on the policy after having my licence back,my GF had no problems insuring my cars with the insurance companies knowing she wasnt the registered keeper.All they asked was do we live together and said it wasnt a problem me being the reg'd keeper.
StueyBoy1989

29th Jul 09 at 12:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i would like to know how they can prove that your the main driver of the car?
what about car sharing? but your mums away for 3weeks so you will be the main driver for those 3 weeks etc. sorry but i dont think it can be proved.
john_c20xe

29th Jul 09 at 12:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by S@M
neither are particularly fast, unless your driving it like a bellend round corners and stuff,

but as said a 1.6 is group 10 insurance so wont be cheap, so id go for a 10, 1.2 or 1.4 to be honest

my corsa is group 16 insurance and 1800 and im only 20
A2H GO

29th Jul 09 at 12:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by CorsAsh-Sport
quote:

Thats bullshit too because i have always been the registered keeper of my cars,yet when i was banned/not insured on the policy after having my licence back,my GF had no problems insuring my cars with the insurance companies knowing she wasnt the registered keeper.All they asked was do we live together and said it wasnt a problem me being the reg'd keeper.

My Insurance company would not allow it, yours are obviously more lenient.

New driver's car insurance has always been expensive because of their general lack of driving experience and what people used to do in the past is have a more experienced person named as the main driver on the policy and the young driver as a second/named driver. Since the main driver is supposed to be using the car more often, it presents a lesser risk to the car insurance company and they will therefore give you a cheaper quote. However this no longer applies now. This is referred to as car insurance fronting and it is against the law to do this. What your friend is suggesting is illegal nowadays and even if you managed to trick the insurance company in giving you cover for your vehicle, you will run the risk of having your future claims being invalidated on the basis of fronting. Therefore I will advise you not to do this.

You can be the registered owner of a vehicle and not be the main driver though as this is not a UK law requirement. Then again, some car insurance companies will frown upon you if the register keeper is not the main driver.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » 1.6 too big for 1st car? 23 database queries in 0.0139270 seconds