corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Little Boy dropped 64 years ago, today.

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Little Boy dropped 64 years ago, today.
Colin

User status: Offline
7th Aug 09 at 11:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone know why they picked Hiroshima as the target, as without knowing much it just seems to be a civilian town, and not exactly an enemy camp or target of particular interest!?
nathy_87

7th Aug 09 at 12:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.cfo.doe.gov/me70/manhattan/hiroshima.htm
Aaron

7th Aug 09 at 12:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Maybe it was a show of might from the allies. i.e. "we dont give a fuck if we kill 1000's of your people"
Colin

7th Aug 09 at 12:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Aaron
Maybe it was a show of might from the allies. i.e. "we dont give a fuck if we kill 1000's of your people"

Thats what I was thinking, a show of what they can do with their new A-bomb to get the jap's eyes to surrender?

Ben G

7th Aug 09 at 12:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

''Some 70,000 people probably died as a result of initial blast, heat, and radiation effects. This included about twenty American airmen being held as prisoners in the city.''

friendly fire, no change there then
will_doyle
Banned

7th Aug 09 at 12:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 5dr corsa-3dr_polo
You still haven't said thank you Will, for that facebook help guide i posted in your thread the other day. I find that quite rude tbh.

Someone had already helped me

I didnt even read your post
Conway563

7th Aug 09 at 12:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin
Anyone know why they picked Hiroshima as the target, as without knowing much it just seems to be a civilian town, and not exactly an enemy camp or target of particular interest!?

quote:

Targeted for military reasons and for its terrain (flat for easier assessment of the aftermath)

will_doyle
Banned

7th Aug 09 at 12:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin

The Japanese refused to surrender so Truman thought it was necessary to bomb Hiroshime. After the Japanese still hadn't surrendered, Nagasaki was bombed, forcing Japan to admit defeat because their war effort could not continue to succeed after the attack
Nath

7th Aug 09 at 12:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by _Allan_
All this talk of big boys and little boys.....

andy1868

7th Aug 09 at 12:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

says on that site that it had military targets, but was also fairly flat so the american's could measure the realistic destructive power more accurately

[Edited on 07-08-2009 by andy1868]
Nath

7th Aug 09 at 13:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Those pictures are quite harrowing.
Chrissy
Premium Member

7th Aug 09 at 13:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nath

>>>> Chris <<<<

richc

7th Aug 09 at 13:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by andy1868
says on that site that it had military targets, but was also fairly flat so the american's could measure the realistic destructive power more accurately

[Edited on 07-08-2009 by andy1868]

So it was a weapons test. Brilliant
Daimo B

7th Aug 09 at 13:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They had already tested one I think.

You want to read up on the Soviet Nuclear bomb that was tested in the 60's Was meant to be 100mega tones or something, but they cut the detonation by half or something. But it didn't explode by half, it still went with a mega mega bang.... If they had used the full lot they planned too they'd have made a serious boo boo.

I'll find a link if your interested. Good read though (or youtube Nuclear Explosion).
andy1868

7th Aug 09 at 15:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Targeted for military reasons and for its terrain (flat for easier assessment of the aftermath),

Thats what it says on the linked website

VXR, if you can find the link i'll have a read for sure. this kind of stuff is of high interest to me
ryzer

7th Aug 09 at 15:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Chrissy
quote:
Originally posted by Nath

EDIT: yes im aware he is Korean, "thats a completely different oriental nation, get a god damn education!"

[Edited on 07-08-2009 by ryzer]
Jake

7th Aug 09 at 15:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i didnt think anyone could stay in Hiroshima because there is still radiation? or is that just the area where the bomb was dropped?
sand-eel

7th Aug 09 at 15:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It really makes me hate the USA even more, everyone knows they could have done it differently but the bombs were just one big experiment, they don't give a shit what happened as long as they got results, which they did by killing innocent people.
ryzer

7th Aug 09 at 15:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

to be fair to the americans, the Japanese were killing hundreds of thousands of chinese civilians, POWS were very poorly treated and tortured, they were going to fight a very costly and drawn out war, on top they warned the Japanese about this weapon and they chose to ignore it, their problem, then they ignored it again and got the other one. dont learn their lesson.
Daimo B

7th Aug 09 at 15:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by andy1868
quote:
Targeted for military reasons and for its terrain (flat for easier assessment of the aftermath),

Thats what it says on the linked website

VXR, if you can find the link i'll have a read for sure. this kind of stuff is of high interest to me

"The Soviet Union became the second nation in the world to detonate a nuclear device on 29 August 1949 (the U.S. had previously exploded eight devices). Between that date, and 24 October 1990 (the date of the last Soviet, or Russian, test) the Soviet Union conducted 715 nuclear tests, by official count. As with the U.S., the term "test" may indicate the near simultaneous detonation of more than one nuclear exposive device, so the actual number of devices exploded is 969 (for comparison, the U.S. has conducted 1056 tests/explosions using at least 1151 devices). "

And the bomb in question is the "Tsar Bomb"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsar_Bomba

Scarey scarey stuff...

I read once that during the cold war, there was enough America nuclear weapons to destroy half the planet. Yet the Russians had enough nuclear power to completly destroy 3/4 of the entire planet!!!!!!!

What I don't get is why they dont use the power of nuclear devices and devise a way to control the power. imagine the space travel in our solar system using the thrust from such a device!!!
Ojc

7th Aug 09 at 15:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
I think i heard/read somewhere that apparently the pilots were not aware of what they were dropping, the pilots were also trained in how to arm it because they had to do it whilst in flight, apparently because the plain that drop the bomb had a history of blowing up on take off and they couldnt risk that

The planes were so high/cold when they were arming the bomb their hands were blistered to fuck and bleeding everywhere, cool stuff.

Heard any of this Ollie?

Na they knew what they were dropping but it was very secretative. The only issue they had was that the B29 had never been tested with a nuclear weapon onboard with the extra weight of that they thought it might not get off the ground.

B29's are pressurised so aren't exposed to the elements like all the previous high level bombers of WW2 so they shouldn't suffer from frost bite or anything like that.

[Edited on 07-08-2009 by Ojc]
Daimo B

7th Aug 09 at 15:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In fact, re-reading my wipedia link on that bomb, look at the bomb explosion chart mid way down....

Those are the WW2 bombs... Now look at the HALF YIELD bomb of the 60s from Russia!!!!! Imagine the full 100%

Its bloody scarey how much power there is. If you view the islands off Russias north coast where they test them, well its just black baron landscape
Ojc

7th Aug 09 at 15:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sand-eel
It really makes me hate the USA even more, everyone knows they could have done it differently but the bombs were just one big experiment, they don't give a shit what happened as long as they got results, which they did by killing innocent people.

Bullshit and I hate the Yanks but in this instance I have to stand up to the use of the atomic weapons.

If they hadn't dropped the nukes the fanatical Japs would have continued to fight on, this would have meant American/British/Russian troops having to go on mainland Japan and fight a guerilla war with the Japanese army, analysts back then predicted over a million casualties if that would have happened.

So the 70k that died at Hiroshima and the 100k at Nagasaki seems fairy moderate in comparison.
sand-eel

7th Aug 09 at 15:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They could have done things a bit more strategic i think.
sand-eel

7th Aug 09 at 15:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as in blow up army bases/ factories, not houses.

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Little Boy dropped 64 years ago, today. 23 database queries in 0.1874011 seconds