corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » RAF Anyone in or looking to join?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author RAF Anyone in or looking to join?
ryzer

User status: Offline
26th Aug 09 at 13:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jamescorsa97
quote:
Originally posted by ryzer
quote:
Originally posted by Jamescorsa97
quote:
Originally posted by ryzer
they said i needed to join the air cadets as a civilian instructor, as it shows leadership and organisational skills, and i have done and its fantastic, i know exactly what they meant now, i gre up in Hong Kong so couldnt do cadets as a kid,

i also needed to brush up on the officer training, although i think they were splitting hairs on this point. last week i went to a RAF base with the cadets, and got to ask some serving personnel questions, they were great, and they said that they like tanacity, so knock backs are not unusual in the sense that they do it to see if you really want the job,

WSO is an Officer role isnt it? they are actively recruiting for this, i know that much!

you need to know about:

Nato
RAF bases in the UK
Aircraft
current events - this is quite a biggie - know where the bloody hell Kabul is etc!
and the training that they do.

so have a very good knowledge of the RAF, and your role specifically.

Nope its not an officers role mate its aircrew tho.

Been reading actively for about a month on bases etc whats happening in current operations and all that the role entails. Have never been more enthusiastic about a job. Been training hard too for tests etc so I'm gonna give it 110%!

Fingers crossed for me! How old are you?

ive just turned 23, age limit for pilots is 24 so im going for it now, fitness is key, but you dont need to go mad, they told me that for aircrew you need to be able to do this at the point of application

level 9-10 on the bleep test
30 sit ups
25 press ups

but they are going to push you hard, thats the absolute minimum, you need to be a decent swimmer too, but cant remember what the criteria is, its pretty tame though. i think you have to be able to do 200 metres but dont quote me on that!

just have a good all round level of fitness, you dont need to go mad.

Yeah done all them fitness tests and aced them all lvl 16 on bleep test 56 press ups and sit ups are easy.

Im a decent swimmer so that should not be a problem
I'm 24 myself and yeah they give you a really hard time in training.

Good luck mate!

yeah good luck to you too, please let me know how it goes, you never know, could be working together soon!
Hammer

26th Aug 09 at 13:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
quote:
Originally posted by mattk
isnt ATC one of the most stressful jobs going? Im sure I read somewhere that it is, and that the dosh isnt that good
I think it used to be, but now systems are in place to stop the controllers from getting overloaded. Plus they are very strict on who gets a job in ATC.

From reading through 1 forum it is that strict the medical includes a grope of your testicles They supposedly spend stupid amounts of money on you in the training phase which is fair enough.
ed

26th Aug 09 at 13:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds like a standard medical to me

Edit: Looks like you have to have a CAA Class 1 medical to be a controller - same as a commercial pilot.

[Edited on 26-08-2009 by ed]
Hammer

26th Aug 09 at 13:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
Sounds like a standard medical to me

Edit: Looks like you have to have a CAA Class 1 medical to be a controller - same as a commercial pilot.

[Edited on 26-08-2009 by ed]

I was about to say, it is definitely not a standard medical

The medical I had for my advanced Disclosure went like this - 'you look fit and healthy and have never visited the doctors before, where do you want the clean bill of health sent?'
ed

26th Aug 09 at 13:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had to strip off to my boxers, have an ECG, have me abdomen felt for something, have an eye test in my boxers, wee into a cup and have a ball grope for my CAA Class 2
John

26th Aug 09 at 14:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The NATS one is slightly tougher than the CAA class 1 so they know you'll pass the class one if they send you for it.
Ste
Premium Member

27th Aug 09 at 00:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was in the RAF for 7 years. It was good as a single lad but not when you want to settle down.

Do't let that put you off though.

I went to about 15 countries, some shitholes but some cool places too.

I was an Avionics Technician, which meant I fixed things like radars, radios, nav computers, defence systems, aerials etc.

I worked on Harriers and Nimrods on front line squadrons.

I now work for BAe Systems and am on the flight testing of new Typhoons. The moeny is better once you're out the RAF, but I wouldn't have this job if I wasn't ex-RAF.

Go for it though. It is good.

8 weeks basic training is actually ok if you stay the grey man and don't stand out. The dickheads and flids get the shit and the normal lads just drift through.

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
Ian
Site Administrator

27th Aug 09 at 01:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
have an eye test in my boxers
Did they find one
Jamescorsa97

27th Aug 09 at 09:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ste W
I was in the RAF for 7 years. It was good as a single lad but not when you want to settle down.

Do't let that put you off though.

I went to about 15 countries, some shitholes but some cool places too.

I was an Avionics Technician, which meant I fixed things like radars, radios, nav computers, defence systems, aerials etc.

I worked on Harriers and Nimrods on front line squadrons.

I now work for BAe Systems and am on the flight testing of new Typhoons. The moeny is better once you're out the RAF, but I wouldn't have this job if I wasn't ex-RAF.

Go for it though. It is good.

8 weeks basic training is actually ok if you stay the grey man and don't stand out. The dickheads and flids get the shit and the normal lads just drift through.

That's good to hear mate as Avions technician is my 2nd choice to apply if i can't get in the aircrew!

a_j_mair

27th Aug 09 at 10:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Hammer
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Nath
quote:
isnt ATC one of the most stressful jobs going? Im sure I read somewhere that it is, and that the dosh isnt that good

Qualified ATC's earn over £40k.

Yeah but for the stress they have to put up with thats shit (so I believe)

If you don't tighten a compression straight you've flooded someone's house, same difference

Fully qualified ATC's are on 90k+ at Swanwick and Heathrow, hence my tests for it at Prestwick are at the start of next month.

For air traffic control at prestwick??

They seem to be bringing ALOT of staff up from down south just now, didnt realise they were recruiting aswell

couple friends used to work at ATC well load control and have both been paid off
John

27th Aug 09 at 10:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Manchester area is moving upto prestwick, fully by 2010 I think.

They've been recruiting continually for a couple of years now.
a_j_mair

27th Aug 09 at 11:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

we are selling some houses outside ayr and have had alot of interest from air ytraffic controllers but i was under the impression people were being re based as opposed to taking on new staff as such
John

27th Aug 09 at 11:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All of Manchester is being re-based, the amount of new controllers isn't that high, I read somewhere it's possibly about 50-60 people a year who complete the college course.
micra_pete
Premium Member

27th Aug 09 at 11:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
I had to strip off to my boxers, have an ECG, have me abdomen felt for something, have an eye test in my boxers, wee into a cup and have a ball grope

sounds like a lovely night in.
mjw_2k2

27th Aug 09 at 12:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im in the RAF currently serving!!! done 3 years now so ask me anything!
Ste
Premium Member

27th Aug 09 at 19:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mjw_2k2

3 years? So you're an AMM? is it as shit as they predicted, does it take ages to get on a decent wage now seeing as you waste 2 years kicking tyres on bottom pay scale? At least I was an SAC when I done all that so I had good money coming in. Are there many JTs left or they all been promoted?

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
ianofbhills

27th Aug 09 at 23:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ste W
quote:
Originally posted by mjw_2k2

3 years? So you're an AMM? is it as shit as they predicted, does it take ages to get on a decent wage now seeing as you waste 2 years kicking tyres on bottom pay scale? At least I was an SAC when I done all that so I had good money coming in. Are there many JTs left or they all been promoted?

We've only recently got amm's on my squadron and they tend to get all the shitt jobs. They tend to be linies when there is flying and cleaning the hanger when there is not. There are hardly any jt's left now and the ones that are have not been promoted for a reason.

i've been in the Raf whilst making my mind up what i want to do with my life for 10 and half years now as an airframe tech. I dont enjoy it as much as i used to for the same reasons as ste so a year and a half left and then i can get a real job.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » RAF Anyone in or looking to join? 23 database queries in 0.0381529 seconds