corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » No offence but why spend all that money on a corsa?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author No offence but why spend all that money on a corsa?
Craig P

User status: Offline
3rd Sep 09 at 16:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

TBF it's your own money that you've earned so why the hell does it matter to anyone else what you spend it on Etc?
Nic Barnes

3rd Sep 09 at 17:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mine is spent on engine not really the car. i can fit that engine into loads of different vehicles if i wanted to.
AK

combined i must have spent about 40k on 3 corsas. That includes the car purchase though. Bonus.

Skyline - er.... I'd rather not think about it. The latest work would prob pay for a new vectra. Poss 35k

Impreza - prob be near 10k including the car... not too bad so far.
Rob B

Because everyone makes mistakes
Rick Draper

3rd Sep 09 at 17:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Because if i had not spent it on a corsa i would have spent it on, beer, cheap women and the white stuff.
AK

3rd Sep 09 at 17:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

property stocks and shares....

I could be in a much better state of affairs if i had not been 'in to cars'

It is true though.... you'd have spent it on somethng else.
swill_omnibus

3rd Sep 09 at 17:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If I didn't spend it modifying the corsa i'd prob spend it on what ever else I had anyway...
alan-g-w

3rd Sep 09 at 17:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DizzyRebel
quote:
Originally posted by a_j_mair
I spent in excess of £20k on my corsa

yes it is was a waste of money and i can appreciate that

However i spent it over the space of 3 or 4 years a bit at a time

I did it as i enjoyed working on my car and learning how things worked, i also did it as i wanted my car to look better than a standard corsa

All i could afford at the time was a corsa or the likes

in hindsight if i hadnt spent anything and saved up i could have bought a better car etc etc

I would not have the knowledge i have now regarding cars or mechanics as a whole and i actually enjoyed driving a car i knew that i had changed the brakes, suspension, engine made all the custom interior parts etc

20k is a waste no matter how u look at it! You cant use learning mechanics as an excuse either as i went to college and did that and it cost me fuck all! Id cry if i worked out i spent 20k on a corsa, thats a house deposit or a porsche 911.

The way i see it is based on your annual income if you spend anymore than 10% of it on a car your pissing it away. Ie if you only earn basic wage (around 10k a year) you shouldnt really blow more than £1000 on a hobby - otherwise your hobby ends up taking up the majority of your free cash.

Basic wage £10k a year? Are you an apprentice?

That last statement is verging on daft. Most people spending the amounts that people are talking about will be spending about a grand on the engine and gearbox alone. I see your point but as said, different things for different people
Jamie_Hastings1

3rd Sep 09 at 17:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Exactly if i didn't spend money on cars i don't know what i would spend it on.
Dale

3rd Sep 09 at 17:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its fun watching peoples faces as you go past... personal satisfaction of having something different (hense the g60's + black bumpers) and i love vauxhalls...
JonnyJ

3rd Sep 09 at 17:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So people can crash into it
DizzyRebel

3rd Sep 09 at 17:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie_Hastings1

Never heard of saving? Its not a hard thing to do.

Thats the problem with people today, no one can save a penny and everyone wants the latest best thing yesterday... hence the credit crunch and recession.
Nic Barnes

3rd Sep 09 at 17:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

Thats the problem with people today, no one can save a penny and everyone wants the latest best thing yesterday... hence the credit crunch and recession.

all my car is paid for in hard earned cash. ive saved for everything thats been done to it. hence i enjoy it. if i cant afford to buy it, i save for a bit longer then i buy it.

i find it rediculous when people claim what you want to spend your own money on is a waste. they have their own life surely? do what you want to do in that life instead of critisizing others perhaps.
SteveoBC
Premium Member

3rd Sep 09 at 17:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its my hobby love tinkering with my current and last corsa

mum and dad hated me modding my old C as i had it new, but id done such a good job tastefully doing it up, sold it for more than its market value at the time and got the money back

as for my track car, mum and dad have really encouraged me and have seen how iv turned a £150 bucket into a mean lean track car

if i didnt spend it on cars id only piss it up the wall, ok i admit i love going on nights out with friends but i do think sometimes "great....£100+ for 1 night out a couple of snogs/ a shag and a bastard hangover for the next 2 days"
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

3rd Sep 09 at 17:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cos 9 times out of 10 it can cheer me up when nothing else can and rarely fails to put a smile on my face, and yes before anyone starts I am talking about a 1.2 Corsa

It's changed quite a bit from my original plan 4 years ago, but it's a change for the better and it'll lead me nicely onto getting my next car which will be needed for moving the Corsa about in future
DamoC

3rd Sep 09 at 18:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rick Draper
Because if i had not spent it on a corsa i would have spent it on, beer, cheap women and the white stuff.

Daimo B

3rd Sep 09 at 21:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
its a project, its a hobby, its something to do. You can either be a wanker in a expensive corsa or a wanker in the m3 (hi fad). I can afford to spunk doh on the corsa so why not. FIN.

After spending silly money, I concur. Was a great social life, more than just the car. Cars just brought us all together in sweet drunken BBQ harmony.

@ M3

Oh, i never had the dosh though, but still done it anyway. Don't regret it, but don't regret moving on either.

[Edited on 03-09-2009 by VXR]
DizzyRebel

3rd Sep 09 at 21:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes
quote:
quote:

all my car is paid for in hard earned cash. ive saved for everything thats been done to it. hence i enjoy it. if i cant afford to buy it, i save for a bit longer then i buy it.

i find it rediculous when people claim what you want to spend your own money on is a waste. they have their own life surely? do what you want to do in that life instead of critisizing others perhaps.

The fact you have your own place and a 2nd car makes me think that you can afford to blow money on your car. You already have everything you want but the rest is just surplus. Its not people like you im talking about, its the kids that still live with their parents and instead of saving for the more important things in life they blow every last penny on a car with a book value thats a 10th of their total expenditure on it.
DaveyLC

3rd Sep 09 at 22:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My Corsa owed me £800 and I sold it for twice that.. BUT if I had paid for everything it would have been close to £3k spent on it which I would never have done.
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

3rd Sep 09 at 22:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dizzy

It's my money, I'll spunk it on whatever I want, and I'll save what I want, when I want.

End of the day, it's my life, if I'd saved the 3k I've spent modifying my Corsa, I'd have bought something else with it, most likely another car, which would cost more than the Corsa, depreciate faster than the Corsa, potentially have more problems that cost more to fix than the Corsa and I probably wouldn't be as happy with it as I am with the Corsa.

So either way I spunked £5k and only have a car to show for it.

When it's time I'll start saving for the bigger things, as far as I'm concerned it's not yet time, if you think worse of me for that, then that's upto you but I ain't gonna lose any sleep over it
Colin

3rd Sep 09 at 22:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All cars cost money to run. Some folk just enjoy them more than others.

For example my sister grudges paying a penny on her car which is probably worth £300 on a good day............she only wants it to get her from a-b. I on the other hand enjoy mine, its one of the only things I care about, this month its cost me about £2k I couldnt care less though. When I had my corsa it was no different....spend what I could afford!!

You cant explain car stuff to non-car people, they'll never get it.
Benkid

3rd Sep 09 at 22:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin
All cars cost money to run. Some folk just enjoy them more than others.

For example my sister grudges paying a penny on her car which is probably worth £300 on a good day............she only wants it to get her from a-b. I on the other hand enjoy mine, its one of the only things I care about, this month its cost me about £2k I couldnt care less though. When I had my corsa it was no different....spend what I could afford!!

You cant explain car stuff to non-car people, they'll never get it.

True that
J da Silva

3rd Sep 09 at 22:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The Corsa I used to own was just a toy, something to do on the weekends, I cannot sit about the house being fed up and watching TV allday, I have to be doing something so I did the corsa threw thousands at it for a bit of an experience.
chrex

3rd Sep 09 at 22:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so far i have spent no more than 5k on my car. A car that is unique, and has taught me a shed load...

what could i have got for that money? doubt i could even get something shit like an Aygo or crappy Hyundai thing...

I dont care...its built not bought...and that gives me some pride and enjoyment.

Colin

3rd Sep 09 at 22:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Built not bought....that makes me LOL

Just sounds funny..................

Mines was probaby built by a man names Boris & Boris probably sports the biggest Tash you've ever clapped eyes on. Tough as fuck tbh!!

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » No offence but why spend all that money on a corsa? 22 database queries in 0.0176561 seconds