corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Wave goodbye to engine transplants

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Wave goodbye to engine transplants
alan-g-w

User status: Offline
30th Sep 09 at 17:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Some site unrelated to cars has posted engine transplants are banned.

The only information they give to back this up is a link to some SVA manuals, which I won't be reading through, but at a guess probably don't say anything about stopping engine transplants.

Was just about to say the same thing.

Bullshit. If this came into effect in August there just now it'd be all over the car forums.
Nic Barnes

30th Sep 09 at 19:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

often amazes me the things people believe that they have read on some random internet site.

dont believe the hype children. bullshit like this is aimed at you.
scott-b

30th Sep 09 at 20:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

good job i'm in the motor trade and know shed loads of garages etc so no problem really its only a few bits of headed paper.
But if the conversion is done properly no one should have any worries.
Nic Barnes

30th Sep 09 at 20:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lmao at people believing it still.
scott-b

30th Sep 09 at 21:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes
lmao at people believing it still.

I dont belive it if it happens it happens things like this go round all the time but its nothing really for anyone to worry about.
DaveyLC

1st Oct 09 at 07:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The only thing that puts engine conversions at risk really is the emissions regs on modern cars and also how tight VOSA are getting on MOT stations..

The will be rolling out cameras soon accross stations so the old trick of sticking another car on the emissions machine will be a thing of the past which obviously makes it difficult to get a 2.0 corsa to meet emissions regs.

Modern cars have fixed emissions for the model/engine/transmission combination so its even harder there.

[Edited on 01-10-2009 by DaveyLC]
pow
Premium Member

1st Oct 09 at 07:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The 2.0's should be tested according to the age of the engine, so if you can prove/convice the tester that it's a pre cat engine then the emission regs are looser than a hookers fanny
richc

1st Oct 09 at 08:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think when you have a new engine in, you will probably have different brakes and suspension......they should make you re mot your car and have it done with.

No strict, SVA or anything, just a plain and simple MOT.
DaveyLC

1st Oct 09 at 10:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
The 2.0's should be tested according to the age of the engine, so if you can prove/convice the tester that it's a pre cat engine then the emission regs are looser than a hookers fanny

Not true, its down to the age of the car.
fazza

1st Oct 09 at 10:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i heard that davey

so my let nova (let from N reg calibra) wont need a cat in my E reg nova will it?
DaveyLC

1st Oct 09 at 10:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nope, wont need a CAT.
John

1st Oct 09 at 10:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Everything I've seen ever on here before says it's the age of the engine.
Toby
Premium Member

1st Oct 09 at 11:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Surely its the age of the engine as its the engines that provide the emissions and the condition of the car will have no relation to whether it will pass its emissions test whereas the age/condition of the engine will
SteveoBC
Premium Member

1st Oct 09 at 11:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had this little hiccup with my XE conversion, i did mostly all of it with Jamsport finishing it up, got them to send me an "invoice" to say they fitted the engine and bobs ur teapot the dvla registered it as a 2.0ltr xe job done
Nic Barnes

1st Oct 09 at 17:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
quote:
Originally posted by pow

also technically not true. it goes off age of engine up to a certain year of the car. think its 1997 then it goes off the year of the car not the engine regardless. anything older it can go off the engine. have to prove the engine age though.
Ste L

1st Oct 09 at 17:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes
quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
quote:
Originally posted by pow

also technically not true. it goes off age of engine up to a certain year of the car. think its 1997 then it goes off the year of the car not the engine regardless. anything older it can go off the engine. have to prove the engine age though.

think i read somewhere that it was 1995 for the emissions reasons
jamjar15

1st Oct 09 at 17:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by gez bay
quote:
Originally posted by jamjar15
didnt know about this. just put a 200 bhp engine in an old civic but my step dads an rac patrol guy so pretty sure i can get him to sort me something out me n my brother did a proper job though so shouldn't really be a problem... i hope

is it that white one, full stripped bare?

na the white ones only a 160bhp 1.6. the one i've done is a turquiose one. same shape but a 1.8 with red seats and white wheels
scott-b

1st Oct 09 at 19:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

yep it's the age of the engine i am 200% sure as i have been through this and even made the MOT tester check with VOSA i would bet everything i own on this cos i know i am 110% correct

[Edited on 01-10-2009 by scott-b]
Nic Barnes

1st Oct 09 at 20:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by scott-b
quote:

yep it's the age of the engine i am 200% sure as i have been through this and even made the MOT tester check with VOSA i would bet everything i own on this cos i know i am 110% correct

[Edited on 01-10-2009 by scott-b]

it is, but after a certain year of vehicle, by mot law it goes off the vehicle age regardless of engine. so dont go putting money on it as it depends what year the car is.
Ste L

1st Oct 09 at 22:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Barnes is 100% correct.....

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/7.3%20Emmissions%20-%20Spark%20Ignition%20-%20Passenger%20Cars%201992-2002.pdf#xml=http://www.vosa.gov.uk/SCRIPTS/texis.exe/webinator/search/xml.txt?query=mot+emissions+passenger+car+cat+button+1&pr=CORP&order=r&cq=&id=4989341934

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Wave goodbye to engine transplants 22 database queries in 0.0083330 seconds