corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Company name ideas?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Company name ideas?
Ojc

User status: Offline
9th Nov 09 at 15:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Skidmarks.com
James

9th Nov 09 at 15:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tempting, we get 9% off at Apple.

I need to get on this iPhone App bandwagon.
Cosmo

9th Nov 09 at 15:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive a few good ideas for iPhone apps, someone make them for me for free and you can have 1%.
John

9th Nov 09 at 15:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

iPhone apps are an easy way to make money.

People gullible enough to buy an iphone are easy pickings.
Paul_J

9th Nov 09 at 15:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
Were the Macbooks the cheapest Paul, I was thinking of getting a Mac Mini for this kind of thing...

Mac mini's are technically cheaper than macbooks... but if you look on ebay etc, they're full of non intel based mac mini's / macbooks (powerbooks labelled up wrong)...

So you have to really careful what you buy... new i'd say a mac mini is cheapest way in...

However, I didn't want to spend much and noticed that even broken mac books were going for £250-£300...

One of the reasons I got mine so cheap was because the moron selling it didn't include any details / spec of the book... however I could see it was a intel based macbook from the pic. I'm hopefully going to fix the screen (think it's just an inverter) and then have a fully working mac book allowing me to go develop where ever I like.

John, I think you've actually hit the nail on the head to be honest... iphone users are often 'gimmicky' people, who have a fair bit of money... therefore they're quite happy to waste 59 pence on some tosh - just to show their mates what they can do down the pub... This is the market I'll mainly be targetting...

However, There's a lot of code I can port over from my main job, so apps for resourcing people / doing timesheets / keeping financial expenses / purchase orders etc... obv more aimed at the business market and so a higher premium.

Then there's fun little apps that I'd use / want ...

The trick I've noticed is...

Come up with a cool unique idea (not easy), then figure out how you can make the product cool but limited (for a free version) and what you can release as the full version (to charge a small amount for).

No one will go straight for the full version, but the chances are people will download your lite version to try it out, and if they like it and the full version has plenty of benefits - for 59 pence the chances are you'll get them to upgrade.
AlexN
Banned

9th Nov 09 at 16:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think your deluded personally. Very hard to come up with new IP for iphone Apps and what makes you think your apps are going to be better than whats already out there?
James

9th Nov 09 at 16:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AlexN
i think your deluded personally. Very hard to come up with new IP for iphone Apps and what makes you think your apps are going to be better than whats already out there?

A lot of these apps are developed by people that have no real software development experience. They download the SDK, read the instructions and knock something together.

Paul and I both have decent jobs in development and have a good understanding of what constitutes a well written/designed app.
James

9th Nov 09 at 16:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As for coming up with a new, interesting idea, I think that's the hardest part.

[Edited on 09-11-2009 by James]
Ojc

9th Nov 09 at 16:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm developing a nuclear missile in my bank garden out of egg crates and washing up liquid bottles.
Paul_J

9th Nov 09 at 16:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

IP?

- secondly I'm not trying to be better than other things. I believe things on the internet (and that style of media which I feel iphone apps fall into i.e. viral) often have nothing to do with the product and more to do with the luck / gimmick that gets it snow balling.

I don't see why you think i'm deluded. I do not expect to make money, but you can't blame me for having a shot? Why have I got less chance than anyone else? I work for a Software Consultancy making software all day long, so that side is easy... It's coming up with ideas and marketting them which is the tricky bit, but it only needs 1 lucky app to get a bit of success to make me money.

It is proven to not always be 'great' apps that make money, but rather small / fun / clever apps that do.

What do you do then Alex?

[Edited on 09-11-2009 by Paul_J]
Cosmo

9th Nov 09 at 16:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

there is a defeated person right there already.

Enjoy being a pauper all your life
Pip308

9th Nov 09 at 16:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

JOS
J - oslin
O - nline
S - ervices
Paul_J

9th Nov 09 at 16:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It makes me laugh that this guy (AlexN) is acting like he knows it all, he's probably done a media studies degree

Have fun working in kfc or stacking shelves in tescos.
Ojc

9th Nov 09 at 16:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

AlexN is Steve BTW.
AlexN
Banned

9th Nov 09 at 16:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not saying i know all?

Firstly, research what IP means. Everybody has seen iPint and Jellycar etc. you need something original.

Secondly i never said you were'nt going to be good at it, i just said, your deluded that you think your gonna be selling loads of apps that people havent seen before. I'm guessing quite a few people who are AppDevs work for software companies.

Best of luck to you, i hope you do make some good Apps, let me know if you get any in the App store and i'll buy them.

I dont have a degree in Media Studies. As for what i do, i am infact a pauper who works in KFC and stacks shelves.

but one thing i dont do while bragging about my wealth, is look at my huge bank balance.. then buy cheap gear off the back of a lorry . That would be silly, souldnt it cosmo?

[Edited on 09-11-2009 by AlexN]
AlexN
Banned

9th Nov 09 at 16:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
AlexN is Steve BTW.
my middle name is Steven
Cosmo

9th Nov 09 at 16:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Firstly, research what IP means. Everybody has seen iPint and Jellycar etc. you need something original.

I think you mean USP.
Cosmo

9th Nov 09 at 16:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
but one thing i dont do while bragging about my wealth, is look at my huge bank balance.. then buy cheap gear off the back of a lorry . That would be silly, souldnt it cosmo?

As someone once told me, you dont make money by throwing it away.

If you can get something you want for cheaper then why would you pay full price for no reason? That would be stupidity tbh.
James

9th Nov 09 at 16:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
quote:

I think you mean USP.

So do I, Intellectual Property (assuming that's what you were referring to) doesn't really fit the context.....

[Edited on 09-11-2009 by James]
Cosmo

9th Nov 09 at 16:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wonder if he brings an IP to his shelf stacking
AlexN
Banned

9th Nov 09 at 16:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
quote:

I think you mean USP.
I think I mean new IP, but thanks
Ojc

9th Nov 09 at 17:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think you mean BNP
AlexN
Banned

9th Nov 09 at 17:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That too. I heart big nick
noshua

9th Nov 09 at 18:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

paulJoslin

capital J to look cool
ed

9th Nov 09 at 19:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

IP, you're talking about intellectual property right? You're trying to use a phrase to look like you know something when you don't.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Company name ideas? 22 database queries in 0.0159280 seconds