corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » When did the government decide we were out of recession?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author When did the government decide we were out of recession?
Cosmo

User status: Offline
18th Nov 09 at 18:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tiger
If it was marketing though, do they REALLY think we're that stupid to go "Fuck they dropped VAT from 17.5 to 15% - i'm gonna be so much better off!"

It probably didnt even affect people on benefits, the people that DO need the money (or the people that are scrounging lazy fuckers.)

You think too much of people in this country, of course thats what huge proportions thought.

You only had to walk down the highstreet to see big 'VAT Busting' signs when it dropped to 15%, and it worked as people started spending.
Tiger

18th Nov 09 at 18:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well, I may have to reconsider the 'intelligence' i'm surrounded by

When are they giving ET a Honorary degree!?

[Edited on 18-11-2009 by Tiger]
Cosmo

18th Nov 09 at 18:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo

Did they prior to the scrappage scheme though?

And thats one place, this is now nationwide and stimulated the new car market in a big way, saved a load of jobs in car manufacturing, and therefore kept more people off benefits and spending hard earned cash in the economy.

Yeah! All the garages round here do it! Have done as long as I can remember!

Remind me to buy my next car from round your way then, as round here if you have an old shitter you get a few hundred for it and nothing like £2,000.

And Id hazard a guess thats EVERYWHERE else in the country other than Hinkley.
Daimo B

18th Nov 09 at 18:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsa_tomtom

I wouldn't be surprised one bit

Its coming, you watch. Save this post, re-top it in 6 months time....

AS for fuel prices, well it dropped to under a £1...

My local tesco is currently charging £1.09....
Cosmo

18th Nov 09 at 18:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

You should, people are stupid. Just because you know the difference dont think your average person in the street does as they have no idea.

If you asked someone walking down the road to work out the saving they would make on £80 worth of stuff when VAT dropped from 17.5% to 15% I bet more than half would get it wrong.
Tiger

18th Nov 09 at 18:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

Did they prior to the scrappage scheme though?

And thats one place, this is now nationwide and stimulated the new car market in a big way, saved a load of jobs in car manufacturing, and therefore kept more people off benefits and spending hard earned cash in the economy.

Yeah! All the garages round here do it! Have done as long as I can remember!

Remind me to buy my next car from round your way then, as round here if you have an old shitter you get a few hundred for it and nothing like �2,000.

And Id hazard a guess thats EVERYWHERE else in the country other than Hinkley.

Like I say though, it's all bollocks, simply because the car you part ex for is £2000 over what its really worth! Thats why the scrappage thing is a farce!
Cosmo

18th Nov 09 at 18:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

VAT wont go up to 20% for a long while yet, if at all. Certainly not prior to the election. As said, its more a marketing thing and it would work the opposite way if they did.
Tiger

18th Nov 09 at 18:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

If you asked someone walking down the road to work out the saving they would make on �80 worth of stuff when VAT dropped from 17.5% to 15% I bet more than half would get it wrong.

Cosmo

18th Nov 09 at 18:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Like I say though, it's all bollocks, simply because the car you part ex for is £2000 over what its really worth! Thats why the scrappage thing is a farce!

How is it a farce? If your shitter is worth £500 and you can get £2000 for it then its a good deal - its up to the consumer to decide if what they are then paying for the new car is good value or not.

And this wasnt designed so the consumer got a good deal, it was designer to stimulate spending in the economy, specifically the new car market, which in turn kept people in jobs - and it worked.
Daimo B

18th Nov 09 at 18:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
VAT wont go up to 20% for a long while yet, if at all. Certainly not prior to the election. As said, its more a marketing thing and it would work the opposite way if they did.

If the dopey f**ks that have ruined everything that was good about the UK in the last 10 years get back in power again, then you bet your bottom dollar it will!!!!

Think back to before labour.. Hardly any knife crime, not as many dossers, not as many stabbings, no chavs (just neds).. No debt (i could go on and on....).

Oh how things go full circle. One party sorts out the debt, the other puts us back in it, leaving the other party to get us out of it, making them look like crap, hence being voted out again, just so labour can put us back in it all again...
Shell
Premium Member

18th Nov 09 at 18:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

You should, people are stupid. Just because you know the difference dont think your average person in the street does as they have no idea.

If you asked someone walking down the road to work out the saving they would make on £80 worth of stuff when VAT dropped from 17.5% to 15% I bet more than half would get it wrong.

That's unfair. Maths is not my thing but I'm certainly not stupid!
Daimo B

18th Nov 09 at 18:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

And this wasnt designed so the consumer got a good deal, it was designer to stimulate spending in the economy, specifically the new car market, which in turn kept people in jobs - and it worked.

The idea is good..

Now we have lots of people driving around in nice cars, who will soon fall back on the repayments, hence leaving them vastly in debt again on a £15k new car (oh, sorry, £13k, such a difference ).

What was they saying about reducing debt again?
Hammer

18th Nov 09 at 18:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The scrappage scheme has been good for the economy hence why it was extended. All the dealers have been doing is upping the price of cars however but then again it's like everything else, all you need to do to dupe a large percentage of the general public is introduce smoke and mirrors and make them believe something.
Cosmo

18th Nov 09 at 18:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You'll be in the other half then, obviously.

edit, stop replying so fast in here. That was to shelly (no e)

[Edited on 18-11-2009 by Cosmo]
Tiger

18th Nov 09 at 18:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
.........................which in turn kept people in jobs - and it worked.

When, and where! Unemployment is rising every month! The car factories are touching cloth and look in any newspaper and see how few jobs are out there!!
Cosmo

18th Nov 09 at 18:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR
quote:

The idea is good..

Now we have lots of people driving around in nice cars, who will soon fall back on the repayments, hence leaving them vastly in debt again on a £15k new car (oh, sorry, £13k, such a difference ).

What was they saying about reducing debt again?

Why will they fall back on the repayments? Unemployment figures have dropped right off, most jobs now should be fairly secure. Some will obviously get fucked over, but most should be OK.
Cosmo

18th Nov 09 at 18:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
.........................which in turn kept people in jobs - and it worked.

When, and where! Unemployment is rising every month! The car factories are touching cloth and look in any newspaper and see how few jobs are out there!!

Because this DID stimulate the sales of new cars, fact. Without it you'd of seen a lot more people being made redundant in car factories months and months ago, but this didnt happen.

In turn, then people still in employment spent their wage on food (kept food manufacturers, sales people, etc.) in jobs, clothing (same), etc. etc.
Daimo B

18th Nov 09 at 18:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Unemployment is still going up dude..

Companies are dropping like flies still. Donna's still loosing large amounts of clients (some are coming in, just not as many as are leaving).

This isn't just her firm either, there are many accountancy firms saying the same thing.
Shell
Premium Member

18th Nov 09 at 18:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

How dare you steal my e cosmosis
Cosmo

18th Nov 09 at 18:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR

Companies are dropping like flies still. Donna's still loosing large amounts of clients (some are coming in, just not as many as are leaving).

This isn't just her firm either, there are many accountancy firms saying the same thing.

Yes, in some industries things are still bad.

You cant argue that in the car industry this saved jobs, a hell of a lot of jobs in fact.

And in the economy as a whole, unemployment has dropped compared to the worst of all this over the last 18 months.
Cosmo

quote:
Originally posted by Shelley
quote:

How dare you steal my e cosmosis

sorry, due to the credit crunch.
Tiger

Labour Market Statistics

November 11 2009 - The unemployment rate stands at 7.8% - up 0.1% over the quarter and 2.0% on last year. Nearly 29 million people were in work in the period July to September according to the labour force survey (LFS). The number of people employed was up by 6,000 this quarter but down by 490,000 on the last year.
Tommy L

18th Nov 09 at 18:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR

Well we have had very little loss of clients (handful) and have been getting new clients on a very regular basis. Better than most years. We aren't a massive firm but a medium sized one, turnover of a million a year.

Obviously this doesn't apply to everyone, im just saying

[Edited on 18-11-2009 by corsa_tomtom]
Daimo B

18th Nov 09 at 18:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Northamptons full of toffs though with plenty of money in reserve to start up new companies after their current ones go into liquidation though
Tiger

18th Nov 09 at 18:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't get me wrong, the company I work for business is picking up - but only from government funded companies, like schools / universities / hospitals. The rest of it is coming from abroad, countries that have officially come 'out' of the recession.

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » When did the government decide we were out of recession? 22 database queries in 0.0149450 seconds