corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » what bhp am i looking at if...

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author what bhp am i looking at if...
Tiger

User status: Offline
5th Dec 09 at 17:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Eck
I don't buy cars/parts based on what the future value will be though Tiger. I've just spent £1300 on the engine on mine and my brother will be buying it for £1500 very shortly now that 've had my fun All down to personal preference I guess.

When I buy a car you see, I want a car that holds it value, again thats just where people differ And thats why i'd NEVER touch a ford
Eck
Premium Member

5th Dec 09 at 17:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jamesy1990
you arent cheaper to xe a corsa rather than tune the 1600 . iv done both and to xe a corsa u need mounts shafts hubs alot of man hours and alot of swearing small block all the way

Well, the mounts, shafts and hubs will come to £400ish (brand new, can get secondhand). And for cams (brand new) you're looking at that alone? Then a minimum of £140 for a powerbox, and £100+ for a manifold, and your decat system will be a few bob.
shauny bizzle

5th Dec 09 at 18:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

plus you have to get a redtop generally rebuild it coz tehy always known to smoke etc... but some people get lucky i guess, jus like being differnet knowing that when some one asks what ya done to that gsi wel.... kinda thing its always a good thing
steel

5th Dec 09 at 18:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive heard that an x18xe1 is a simple switch over and i saw one on ebay not too long ago for £200 (63000 miles) and can apparently use a corsa sport gearbox (but only what ive heard)

plenty of tuning stuff on regal and lmf for it too

well thats what i wanna do anyways =D
jamesy1990

6th Dec 09 at 09:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wel i know when i build my redtop i spent a fortune . dont get me wrong amazing car but a full rebuild plus machineing wasnt cheap new valves new stem seals all new gaskets new rings new big ends . my 1600 sport only has 55000 on the clock so i know all i need to do is fit some arp's
Richardhhha

6th Dec 09 at 12:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sticking a xe in can be pritty expensive as said befor 9/10 of them need a full rebuild anthat costs a pritty penny then all the mount's, shafts, gearbox, decide wether to keep pas or not ect getting someone to fit it ect... Where as tuning a x16 is quite frutefull, what you'd spend on a new conversion kit could get you a powerbox and cams..
But i do agree if you want something thats ot more power but dont want to spend silly money tem get a x18xe1 engine and put it in the corsa they are a pritty straight forward swap fom what i know and they are nicer to drive as power is delivered lower down the rev range.. Thats what i'd do
Nic Barnes

6th Dec 09 at 13:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tiger
I just don't really get the point though. If you want a faster car, get a faster car, don't bolt a load of naff bits onto one to make it faster. Save that for a much more solid/newer base car.

By the time you've spent the money and time you could buy a better car. And am4nf, by that I dont mean a Calibra, its no better than a Corsa anyway, a corsa is the best of the group in its class and year of manufacture.

Personally, and i'm certain i'm not on my own in this forum, save the money and invest it in a car thats already faster, and already more powerful and enjoy the Corsa as it is.

You'll end up with a car with loads of money spent on it, thats worth no more than one thats standard when you come to resell it, and, you will one day.

[Edited on 05-12-2009 by Tiger]

bugger, looks like ive wasted a few grand then. anyone want a 500bhp corsa gsi for 900 quid?
dean101287

6th Dec 09 at 14:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

overpriced TBH nic

[Edited on 06-12-2009 by dean101287]
Nic Barnes

6th Dec 09 at 14:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

whats it worth then? best get it on piaston heeads now before price drops more.
shauny bizzle

6th Dec 09 at 19:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol cheers guys glad some people see my views... how hards the x18xe1 to put in though
DamoC

6th Dec 09 at 23:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes
whats it worth then? best get it on piaston heeads now before price drops more.

tbh its a old car and its got a couple of scratches on it so it must need a rebuild . i will give you 300quid cash tomorow for it ?
Nic Barnes

7th Dec 09 at 18:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it doesnt have any scratches. it has rust on the bootlid though. i will consider your offer.
flybikeslee

7th Dec 09 at 18:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes
quote:
Originally posted by Tiger
I just don't really get the point though. If you want a faster car, get a faster car, don't bolt a load of naff bits onto one to make it faster. Save that for a much more solid/newer base car.

By the time you've spent the money and time you could buy a better car. And am4nf, by that I dont mean a Calibra, its no better than a Corsa anyway, a corsa is the best of the group in its class and year of manufacture.

Personally, and i'm certain i'm not on my own in this forum, save the money and invest it in a car thats already faster, and already more powerful and enjoy the Corsa as it is.

You'll end up with a car with loads of money spent on it, thats worth no more than one thats standard when you come to resell it, and, you will one day.

[Edited on 05-12-2009 by Tiger]

bugger, looks like ive wasted a few grand then. anyone want a 500bhp corsa gsi for 900 quid?

doesnt even have an interior and the bonnet looks open, £60 tbh
fast-as-u-can

7th Dec 09 at 22:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by shauny bizzle
are they any good the dastek chips where can i get one from

These people are quite close to you.

http://www.impossibleperformance.co.uk/engine-tuning/engine-dyno-mapping.html
Mark B

7th Dec 09 at 22:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
plus you have to get a redtop generally rebuild it coz tehy always known to smoke etc... but some people get lucky i guess, jus like being differnet knowing that when some one asks what ya done to that gsi wel.... kinda thing its always a good thing

i no a few folk with these engines and not one of them smokes
markx14xe

8th Dec 09 at 06:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

people been picky i guess lets need rebuild tho
markx14xe

8th Dec 09 at 06:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

140bhp+... powerbox,cams,4-2-1 exhaust manifold, remap, full exhaust system,power boost valve,ported head,oil cooler,then strip it out would be an xe class just a 1600 tho
Eck
Premium Member

8th Dec 09 at 13:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Power Boost Valve you say? How many dozens of horses do they add?
Daimo B

8th Dec 09 at 14:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
i have a c16xe engine, its got a lightened flywheel, panel filter, going for 265 cams, powerbox and a 4-2-1 manifold and stainless system, would a decat be much gain? how much bhp am i looking at cheers

With an appropriate chip to suit all these mods, on a C16XE engine, i'd expect at LEAST 140bhp.

These engines are highly under-rated (X16 produces lower power).

I'd set a 7500rpm rev limit, and also invest in some ARP Rod bolts and you will see 140+. I've seen many C16's with these mods produce this, and some even into the 150's and 160's (all depends on engine conditions as well).

Panel filter will work much better than a cone filter as well. What exhaust manifold are you using?

De-cat won't really aid anything im afraid, apart from a nasty exhaust rasssp. It does allow the gasses out a little faster, but we're talking 1-2bhp. Nothing noticable, and come MOT time, its much easier to have the CAT in still. Funds allowing, go for a sports CAT.

If you want to aid it further, have the head flowed and ported to utilise the inlet/exhaust combo, and it'll free up some more easy power!!!!

130bhp and i'd be a tad cheesed off with a C16 with powerbox, 256 cams, and exhaust mani!!

PS, the old Mantzel tuned engines (same profile cams) made at least 155bhp, only using a special Mantzel exhaust manifold (same 4-2-1 design) so thats your target really.
Daimo B

8th Dec 09 at 15:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

PS, Power Boost valves are not needed on these engines. They do work, but are a bugger to setup!!!!!

The C16 is the only engine i'd tune in the corsa. And even then i'd only go as far as this chap has. Maybe as said adding an oil cooler if it was for track use.

Then as its a low cc NA engine, i'd get every bit of weight out I could, and enjoy it.

PSS...
These engine mods, on 15"s, with a stripped out car, has been PROVEN to run a 0-60 of 6.39 seconds. A very old user on here had one, sold it to Renton who was the former Redline editor, who then sold it to Dav, who I thinks the current Redline editor, who then sprayed it yellow and sold it on.

That car was so abused, it was mega! 145bhp, but left redtops for dead!!!

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » what bhp am i looking at if... 22 database queries in 0.0157981 seconds