corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Motorbikes

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Motorbikes
radicalry00

User status: Offline
24th Jan 10 at 09:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bonney66

Is that a HJC Samourai helmet. Been looking at these myself.

I did my test just before it all changed and its probably the best thing i have done. Heres my bike

As for the running costs, The tax is dirt cheap (Just under £50 a year for mine), The insurance is probably cheaper than a car for you, They have better MPG and can put a huge smile on your face when the weather is right.

It's a HJC AC-11 IIRC. I think the design was called Samourai but I'm not sure. I'll check for you later on. It's my first ever lid so I can't really compare it to anything but it's pretty comfortable and wind noise is not bad at all. I think I paid £95 and I got a iridium visor free with it.

BTW, nice ZX6R. I was thinking about getting a bike very similar to yours but I found the SV locally at a very good price so went for that.

[Edited on 24-01-2010 by radicalry00]
dannymccann

24th Jan 10 at 09:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I might go for the SV as my next bike, want one with electronic injection though, cant be arsed with carbs on a cold day

radicalry00

24th Jan 10 at 10:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dannymccann
I might go for the SV as my next bike, want one with electronic injection though, cant be arsed with carbs on a cold day

Mine's been alright in the cold weather. Even when it was -7 degrees a few week ago it started fine. Just bang the choke on full, leave it on for 20 seconds then take it off, sorted! I know what you mean though, fuel injection is less temperemental than carbs. Carbs wouldn't put me off a bike though. I really like the look of your ZXR400, think it looks great for it's age, much better than most current 600's. You get those problems sorted that you were having with it? Having engine problems IIRC??
dannymccann

24th Jan 10 at 10:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No wasnt engine problems, it needed clearances doing and cam chain looking at, I got it sorted no problem, it was me going at it DIY mechanic stylee which broke off nuts and bolts in difficult places

It shows its age though, it starts no problem with half choke in the cold weather its just a pain in the arse having to stand with it while it warms up and adjusting the choke otherwise when it catches up it starts revving its tits off

And Im starting to get used to the speed of it, its plenty fast enough for the road, but it can get out accelerated by some cars which is a bit shit I was neck and neck with a 2.0TSi Scirocco, but I started in 2nd gear from 30ish so I reckon if I had done it properly I might of had him, but I expected a bigger lead on my part

[Edited on 24-01-2010 by dannymccann]
bigboykarl

24th Jan 10 at 10:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ianofbhills
quote:
Originally posted by DizzyRebel
quote:
Originally posted by K3 VMU
your direct acces will include you cbt bud

i dont see how only buyin arais is good though. as it all depends on the contours of your face when it comes to helmets.

Arai test their helmets in a different way to other manufacturers. to get a BS approval the lids have to survive a drop from a certain height and thats it. Arai test their lids with multiple impacts, spike impaler, different stress zones etc.

K3 has got a point though hasnt he an improperly fitted £400 arai helmet is not going to protect you half as well as a cheaper but still kite marked none arai helmet that actually fits you better no matter how well arai have tested their helmets.

Its all about how well the helmet fits and how comfortable it is whilst wearing. Personally i cant get away with arais they just dont fit my shape of head. I find shoei to be a much better fit and of equal construction and price.

I agree its wise to spend a fair amount on a helmet as you only get one head to protect but to say all other helmets are inferior to arai's is a bit narrow minded.

[Edited on 23-01-2010 by ianofbhills]

snap arai's didn't fit my head shape either i preferred shoei ....i despatched around london from 88 to 96 on and off using bikes ranging from a honda c90 to a yamaha xtz750 .. covered over 200k miles ..i rode in every weather ,never had a set of leathers ,considered them as non essential..good boots and gloves are though , i used to use sidi motorcross boots and various gloves always used to make sure my gloves had a -20c rating
if your going to ride in all weathers get a decent set of wets nothing worse than having wet bollocks
Bonney

24th Jan 10 at 13:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When I was buying my first helmet, I was told by the bloke who sold it to me (A good mate of my dads at a local dealership) to go for a helmet which feels like it fits comfortably, and feels right to you. He said basiically a bad fitting £300 Arai wouldn't be that safe but a good fitting £100 cheapo special would do the job just as good if it fits perfect, As they are all tested to the same standard.

When I was looking for a new one just before christmas, I tried a Shoei on and it felt terrable, Tried a shark helmet on and that was just as bad. The only helmets that I feel fit me well are Souomy and HJC, As they feel like they are moulded to my head where as the others only feel like they stick in, in places.
Welsh Dan

24th Jan 10 at 14:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think my SV is running poorly. I only get 120 miles or so to a full tank. It only gets used for work, but its still about 8 miles or so each way.
Daveskater
Premium Member

24th Jan 10 at 15:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Simon's thread has been hijacked a bit, I feel

Lightning training in Cowley are good mate That's where I went when I was doing my test(s). If you don't pass then they'll give you a couple of extra days training free, you just have to pay for the test

I only failed because of stupid little things This was the old school test though.

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
Daimo B

24th Jan 10 at 22:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

With regards to the poster, when you say you will using the bike every so often, do you mean any weather?

If so, you can either go down the leathers route. A 1 piece suit, or a 2 piece (2 piece being jacket and trousers). Both ahve pros and cons. But then you will also need to use a waterproof oversuit in case it rains.

Or

You can go the textiles route. I use textiles every day on my work bike. Easy to put on, waterproof/windproof, and comes with inner linings for winter/ and colder days. I use my leathers at the weekend instead. A set of trousers will be about £50-£100, and decent jacket £150-£300.

SV650S is a superb bike for a starter bike, as is a 400cc sports (I.e ZXR ^^), but finding a good one these days is harder as most have been raced.

Welsh Dan, i'd get about 120-150. If your giving it full beans everywhere it'll drink fuel.

RE Helmet, £150 will get you a good decent helmet. You'll have much more to think aobut than the overall snugness and quality. That experience will come with riding, and generally u'll change lids every few years.

Do it, riding a bike is fantastic fun. Im off to the south france/italy on mine with my friends again this year, going to be epic. And also riding at weekends etc opens a whole new group of people to meet.

And as for post whoaring....... Any chance for my excellent reliable work hack, and my not so reliable baby

S@M

25th Jan 10 at 10:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

heres my sv650s. it has a few changes now i just havnt got any recent pics...

ive fitted small indicators, tail tidy and a smaller exhaust since these pics

ianofbhills

25th Jan 10 at 12:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thread hijack to sv appreciation pictures.
my old one

same bike but different fairings on it
S@M

25th Jan 10 at 12:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeh ill have to get some better pics of mine
Daimo B

25th Jan 10 at 12:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your SV was epic, i've still not seen a better built one on the .org yet. That would have been a belter with a 85+bhp 700cc kit. Sounds a lot deeper too.

SV's When i first got it and it was clean and un-modified.

Matt.H

25th Jan 10 at 12:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

SV's...pah

Hornet 600 FTW.

Daimo B

25th Jan 10 at 12:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah yeah, 100bhp, but a fuel range matching that of a V10 dodge viper at full throttle.
Simon

25th Jan 10 at 13:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers guys, where's a good place to start for looking for bikes? Could anybody link me up with some good example first bikes? Tests, Clothing and equipment seem manageable but I need to work out what a bike will cost me for whether it is cost effective. My '94 Corsa B isn't going to fetch much now so that wont cover much of a bike.
Simon

25th Jan 10 at 13:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Something that worries me, I was just having a quick look at a SV650S forum and there is a dedicated section for people that have died
radicalry00

25th Jan 10 at 13:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Simon
Cheers guys, where's a good place to start for looking for bikes? Could anybody link me up with some good example first bikes? Tests, Clothing and equipment seem manageable but I need to work out what a bike will cost me for whether it is cost effective. My '94 Corsa B isn't going to fetch much now so that wont cover much of a bike.

eBay, Pistonheads, Biketrader, classifieds on specific forums.

If you don't want to spend thousands then you can do similar to what I did and pick up a 99-02 model SV for around £1200. You can also pick up Hornets for around the same money if you look.
Nath

25th Jan 10 at 13:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd like to do all this one day.
radicalry00

25th Jan 10 at 13:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Something that worries me, I was just having a quick look at a SV650S forum and there is a dedicated section for people that have died

Which forum's that? But yeah the truth of the matter is, is that you are more likely to die riding a bike than driving a car. You've just got to decide whether you want to take that extra risk. It's the same as any other dangerous sport / hobby though, if you're sensible and take precautions then you're more than likely going to be fine.
S@M

25th Jan 10 at 13:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

anybody that tells you bikes arnt dangerous are lying

once you've ridden one on the road you will understand why that section is ther
Daimo B

25th Jan 10 at 13:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We have lost a few members recently on the SV forum, but u'll find most major forums will have the same issue.

A bike only goes as fast and as mad as the rider makes it, so biking isn't dangerous, its us bikers.

Sure people pull out on us etc, but then yoiu have to ride with the fact that the car you see at the junction might pull out, can you avoid/stop in time?

I've been riding on the road 10 years now, and sure i've had some offs, but nothing major yet.

Don't talk to my dad though .......... He's got a fairly long injury list, inc a broken neck, and shattered hip
Simon

25th Jan 10 at 13:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've been a road cyclist for the past several years so I'd like to think that I'm slightly more aware of not being seen and having less road presence than if I wasn't. Had to give a woman this morning a good few gestures this morning who pulled straight out into the round about I was going around
Daimo B

25th Jan 10 at 14:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Basically, allocate £500 for clothing, and however much you want to spend ona bike. £500 will cover you for a new rider.

Boots - £100
Gloves - £50 (winter or summer??)
Jacket - £150-£200
Trousers - £50-£100
Lid - £100-£400

That covers kit, then as time progresses, upgrade to some leathers, newer bike, new lid etc etc..

Trust me, once it starts you can easily spend thousands on kit if you want to. Track days, back protectors, full Kangaroo skin leathers etc etc...

Go for it. No-one I know has taken their bike test and regretted it, even those with serious injuries. they only regret still not being able to ride!!!
Budgie

25th Jan 10 at 14:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by S@M
heres my sv650s. it has a few changes now i just havnt got any recent pics...

ive fitted small indicators, tail tidy and a smaller exhaust since these pics

Is that an R33 in the background

Edit: (sp)

[Edited on 25-01-2010 by Budgie]

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Motorbikes 23 database queries in 0.3211560 seconds