corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Are you a homeowner?

Poll: Are you a homeowner?
  Yes
  No
  No but I rent/lodge

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Are you a homeowner?
Andrew

User status: Offline
31st Jan 10 at 23:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm a home owner. I won't lie and say it's easy because it's not. Dread opening bills... Lucky if i have a few hundred left over each month once everything is paid. Managed to blow my last years wages and a bit of savings when i lost my head for a bit.

Owning means i can't pick up and move closer to work and renting or owning means i can't actually start going out and finding work myself. There is no way i could live back home either... I get by

Dad helped me out with the deposit and while i was at uni. Also was left some money by family that passed away. Blow a load on shit cars as well.

However, i'm fully aware i'm still underpaid for what i do and need to get this sorted.

[Edited on 01-02-2010 by Andrew]
Jambo

31st Jan 10 at 23:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

M3 is for sale to clear bills and have some savings for a house. Gf is also saving, ive had myinheritance but not fortunate enough for any of that to be anywhere near a house deposit

i will probably do one of those part owner thingies where they own a percentage etc.. Only way i can see myself on the ladder before im 30. If i rent ill never own a home. Ever.

And yeah neef £200k for a house/flat here
Paul_J

1st Feb 10 at 00:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thing is Andrew, you may have no money left... but it's no different if you were renting, you'd still be paying bills, council tax etc ... the difference is, that rent money would actually be going into property... so you technically aren't losing it.

If you did decide in a few years time you wanted to sell up and move to Thailand or something random, then you could and you'd have the money from your house to go fuck about.

All the money i'm pissing way renting will never come back to me.

Down south even renting = expensive. £700 + £150 council tax for a small, 2 bed flat (both small rooms), bathroom, kitchen and small lounge. Then bills etc on top.

Up north you could probably get a decent mortgage on that a month.
Half Pint

1st Feb 10 at 09:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
P.S. most people I know down south who are my age and have houses, have all had inheritance from dead relatives...

That's how every single one of them have got their deposit and on the ladder.

I think it's extremely hard in todays age to save up and move into a house, even more difficult if you choose to move out and rent until you can.

Northerners I'm not talking about you with your 70k houses

quiet alot of my friends have benefited from this and others have simply been given money by their parents.... mildly fustrating but i know that me and the mrs saved for our house.
ed

1st Feb 10 at 09:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
And yeah neef £200k for a house/flat here
There are quite a few Homebuy Direct developments going on round there matey. They've just finished one at the end of my parents road - fucking nice place to live and they were dead cheap. Keep an eye out for those kind of deals too because the initial purchase price was below £200k and to get something like a £60k loan for free over 5 years is a win in my eyes
ed

1st Feb 10 at 09:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Down south even renting = expensive. £700 + £150 council tax for a small, 2 bed flat (both small rooms), bathroom, kitchen and small lounge. Then bills etc on top.
Cheaper than my rent
Eck
Premium Member

1st Feb 10 at 09:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll be living with my parents until I'm 50 tbh. Have it too easy da Silva, is that Cosmo in your avatar
andy1868

1st Feb 10 at 09:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

live with my parents. its too sweet!
J da Silva

1st Feb 10 at 09:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well in my case I did everything in life earlier than most people expect you to, I bought at 18 as I have a big family and although my parents have a nice spacey pad, I had no peace and quiet.

I've had a few homes since I left home 9 years ago, some I've kept and rented out, but I'm happy in my current place and don't intend to move anymore as I have my own little family now and the business is thriving.
Cosmo

1st Feb 10 at 09:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Own one (awaiting Nath or Aj. to post something).

And Eck, no thats not me
Conway563

1st Feb 10 at 10:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm currently renting but hoping for a nice couple of payrises over the next 2 years which will go towards a deposit
Paul_J

1st Feb 10 at 11:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by J da Silva
Well in my case I did everything in life earlier than most people expect you to, I bought at 18 as I have a big family and although my parents have a nice spacey pad, I had no peace and quiet.

I've had a few homes since I left home 9 years ago, some I've kept and rented out, but I'm happy in my current place and don't intend to move anymore as I have my own little family now and the business is thriving.

How did you afford to buy a place at 18?

I couldn't even afford to insure my corsa when I was 18
Tomnova16
Premium Member

1st Feb 10 at 11:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

living at parents, but buying very soon

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
Matt L

1st Feb 10 at 11:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

still living at home, couldnt afford to buy/rent at all on my wage .
Fro

1st Feb 10 at 11:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Living with Mum but I'm on the mortgage.
Aaron

1st Feb 10 at 11:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes, i have my own place..have done for 3 and a half years
MJFF88

1st Feb 10 at 11:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

With the rents. I can live in my car but I cannot drive a house. Therefore car is more important
JohnnyR

1st Feb 10 at 11:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just bought, got the keys and moved in 2 months ago on the 27th of November 09. It's great, can't imagine it any different now!

Your neck of the woods actually J, in Dinnington.
J da Silva

1st Feb 10 at 11:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

I had the right advice at a young age, even when I was 13 on my milk round I valued my money.
I suppose the big part of it was seeing my parents have the high life if you want to call it that and I wanted it, so I set about going down a career path where I could afford things and be secure in my life.

My first car was a corsa and I still buy second, third hand cars now.
Dione J

1st Feb 10 at 11:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Homeowner, on my 2nd house now.
Paul_J

1st Feb 10 at 12:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

I had the right advice at a young age, even when I was 13 on my milk round I valued my money.
I suppose the big part of it was seeing my parents have the high life if you want to call it that and I wanted it, so I set about going down a career path where I could afford things and be secure in my life.

My first car was a corsa and I still buy second, third hand cars now.

Didn't really answer the question there, unless you're either saying that you bought your house at 18 with milk round money, or that you're 'high life' parents gave you some money?

This is in no way intended to be aimed at you / cosmo, but I do think generally in life, it's easier to make money when you have money.

What I mean by this is, if you have money to fall back on you can take more risks in life, to get more places. If you have money behind you (e.g. parents) they can maybe seed you money for a new business idea, rather than you have to work your way onto having enough money / taking a crippling loan to try it out (and once again, risk if it fails).

I decided to try to pick a career path that paid well, and have achieved it. Software Development is a fairly good trade, wages generally range from 25-35k starting, 35-60k normal and 60-90k for top senior positions in london, plus the chance to develop your own product / company off of the trade.

The problem is, this path meant having to be in education solidly, GCSE's, A-Levels, Degree... I have achieved the best at every level and am now on the career path. However, I don't see myself earning and renting, being able to afford a house any time soon. Also I'd love to try some business ideas / start my own company at some point (probably bootstrap it while I work), but I can't afford the basic minimal costs for start up / risk of it all going tits up in the current financial situation. Therefore, I'll have to wait on both accounts.

I too have only ever bought things 2nd hand, cars / mods / laptops etc... but it doesn't mean that I was able to afford a house at 18.
mwg

1st Feb 10 at 12:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Live at home. If I get a serious girlfriend then will look to move out if we can get a big enough deposit sorted. Cant afford t buy on my own. Or very last resort maybe rent. But I'm very reluctant to do that as it makes it even harder to save for a deposit to buy somewhere in the future. Renting is a rip off round here, bit like the house prices.
Nath

1st Feb 10 at 13:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
Own one (awaiting Nath or Aj. to post something).

And Eck, no thats not me

nathy_87

1st Feb 10 at 14:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Live with the g.rents, £200/mnth board everything in. I'm not complaining.
Ojc

1st Feb 10 at 14:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
P.S. most people I know down south who are my age and have houses, have all had inheritance from dead relatives...

That's how every single one of them have got their deposit and on the ladder.

I think it's extremely hard in todays age to save up and move into a house, even more difficult if you choose to move out and rent until you can.

Northerners I'm not talking about you with your 70k houses

Paul, this is exactly what me and Rach were talking about at the weekend. We sat down working out how much we will save this year and were questioning how everyone else had managed to move out well before us then it clicked, most of them had inheritence or parents that had chipped in as they had recieved inheritence. It's a shit excuse sometimes as we do spend a fair bit but then if you are given a headstart it doesn't half make a difference to saving.

There is a new mortgage avaliable now though for those that have parents willing to help, Natwest & Lloyds are doing a scheme where by your parents chip in with 10% of the deposit so lets use 175k as an example, so parents put in 10% which is put aside into an account with the lender and earns interest, you the buyer then put in another 5% which is much more realistic target to save to.

It's a win win situation as parents can shift their savings around to help the kids, and they can take the 15% once the house has gained enough equity to do that and have earned some money out of it at the end.

Obviously it's good for the lenders as well as if you default on your mortgage repayments the lender has some capital to take it from.

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Are you a homeowner? 23 database queries in 0.0148928 seconds