corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » If car fails its mot

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author If car fails its mot
lostboy
Banned

User status: Offline
3rd Mar 10 at 01:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Provoke? Revoke?
monty46

3rd Mar 10 at 08:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

always thought you could drive it back from an mot fail unless its really unworthy for the road
McWillster

3rd Mar 10 at 10:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If both brake lights fail, that viods your MOT and you have to get it tested again!
McWillster

3rd Mar 10 at 10:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^ thats if you get caught mind you!
ed

3rd Mar 10 at 10:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can drive an MOT failure from an MOT test station to another location for repairs. You can even phone VOSA for confirmation.

I have done this before when Vauxhall wanted £800 for a new fuel tank on my old Corsa and refused to use a pattern part.
scunnylad

3rd Mar 10 at 12:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you cant, i asked the local police and local vosa center when i wanted to do this, if the car has no mot the vehicle can be driven for an mot, the most direct route and set of no earlier than 20 min before said appointment, if the vehicle fails it has to be towed, recoverd or left at said mot station.
john_c20xe

3rd Mar 10 at 13:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so what happens if someone crashes into you on the way home from the mot station, the police find out you dotn have mot or insurance
ed

3rd Mar 10 at 13:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by scunnylad
you cant, i asked the local police and local vosa center when i wanted to do this, if the car has no mot the vehicle can be driven for an mot, the most direct route and set of no earlier than 20 min before said appointment, if the vehicle fails it has to be towed, recoverd or left at said mot station.
Yes you can. What happens if you go to a council testing centre with no repair facilities?
Generation

3rd Mar 10 at 14:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Grey area it seems
benjisri

3rd Mar 10 at 14:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have the car tested before the current valid m.o.t expires. you can have them tested with around 2 weeks remaining on your current mot. then it gives you over a week to drive round to where ever you need to do the repairs.
Generation

3rd Mar 10 at 14:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Like i said its already run out, thats not much help now
benjisri

3rd Mar 10 at 14:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

erm yeah thats a bit of a bummer lol the only thing to do is if you know a mechanic or someone who mot's have it checked over at home providing everything is fine then drive it to an mot station. other than that i dont know the restrictions on driving a car to and from an mot station.
Generation

3rd Mar 10 at 16:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats not the problem either the problem is getting the car home from an mot station an hour away.
span8v

3rd Mar 10 at 17:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im a mot tester and ur insurance will cover u to drive a car which is not mot'd to and from a mot station when its not mot'd even if it fails u then get 10 working days to do the repairs and take it back to the test station
span8v

3rd Mar 10 at 17:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

also as some comments i have seen earlier if your car is still mot'd and does fail it will not void the mot nor will it void your insurance as the car still has a remaining amount of days left on the mot
antnee

3rd Mar 10 at 23:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by scunnylad

Wrong,

From UKMOT.com

Can my vehicle be driven on a public highway after failing a pre-test?

Cars and motorcycles MUST normally pass an MOT test three years from the date of the first registration and every year after that. You MUST NOT drive a vehicle without an MOT certificate, when it should have one. Driving an unroadworthy vehicle may invalidate your insurance. Exceptionally, you may drive to a pre-arranged test appointment or to a garage for repairs required for the test.

If you had said parts for repairs at home, or can prove you are going to be repairing it at home then it would be fine.
I think the 20min thing is bullshit too, what happens if you live more than 20mins away from a test station?
Generation

4th Mar 10 at 19:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I drove it back and it failed so win and loose haha

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » If car fails its mot 22 database queries in 0.0327899 seconds