corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Carbon

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Carbon
jibjob

User status: Offline
17th Mar 10 at 09:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think i might give this a go next week and see how it comes out From the video do people think it looks better with laquer or just polished up or is there no difference?
rbailey88

17th Mar 10 at 22:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jibjob
Think i might give this a go next week and see how it comes out From the video do people think it looks better with laquer or just polished up or is there no difference?

i think it looked mint with that buffing compound stuff at the end plus it comes in the kit... they also do 1.5m rolls so my roof will finally match my bonnet need save 1st tho... what bits u doin mate?
jibjob

18th Mar 10 at 15:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was just tempted to do a few interior bits like centre console where the heaters are, the console in front of the gearstick, vent surrounds, door handles and then speedo surround. Might be a bit much and i havent quite decided on all of that yet but it was this interior that makes me want to do it

Daniel_Corsa's interior
rbailey88

18th Mar 10 at 17:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah mate would save some money... saw them carbon copy interior bits goin for crazy money on here, them 48 quid diy skinning kits would do most if not all them bits and its actual carbon cloth used.
jibjob

18th Mar 10 at 17:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im just worried about the thickness around the edges and whether it will let the pieces fit back in perfectly and all the fiddley bits like the speaker holes in the door handles and the screw holes.
wwwNOOBcom

18th Mar 10 at 20:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This the the center consol i did last week, iv just finished the door handles tonight, the rest of the interior will be getting done next week as well

When i tryed to laqure that 3m stuff i didnt work, infact it ruines the look of it

Its not carbon fiber, its just a plastic sheet that has been stamped to look lik carbon fiber, one i put clear coat on it it destroyed the stamp marks on it and also i lifed the fucking sheet of the platic, had to do it again

Dont be fooled by the youtube videos of people making it look easy because to make it looks like a pro job its pretty hard in frustrating. also in the videos it shows how good it is when its hot and can be streched back into shape is miss leading, yes it can be done easyly but one u pull it off the surface its not as sticky and has trouble sticking to eadges

[Edited on 18-03-2010 by wwwNOOBcom]
Nic Barnes

18th Mar 10 at 20:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tbh noob, that looks awesome.
JONTYGSI
Banned

18th Mar 10 at 20:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

personally i think it looks awful
wwwNOOBcom

18th Mar 10 at 20:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye dont get my wrong it dose, would look better with those smoked gauges, think the whole dash would look mega but because its all the crackle way im not too sure how long it would stick for

Ill take a pic of the door hadles they came out good actully
jibjob

19th Mar 10 at 22:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That looks good mate! How hard was it to get round the corners like at the bits at the sides? Did you just cut it and lay another piece next to it or stretch it round the curve and down the side?
rbailey88

19th Mar 10 at 22:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fairplay mate good result.
wwwNOOBcom

20th Mar 10 at 01:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jibjob
That looks good mate! How hard was it to get round the corners like at the bits at the sides? Did you just cut it and lay another piece next to it or stretch it round the curve and down the side?

Thars exactly what i had to do, once you line up the weave of the carbon then go over the white edge of it with a black marker pen with bit you just layed its almost impossible to tell unless your eye balling it

The youtube videos of them using one piece and doing something like a bike fairing where the push it only works if you have a massive amout of it and some of "3m's" own priimer, because you have to heat it up, push it into corners you need to pull the sheet up and lay it again. However everytime its pulled from the surface it isnt as sticky as before this is why you need the primer

I wish there was some sort of forum to show you the proper way to do it because the stuff isnt cheap, i finished off my other door handle today and tryed to do it the same way you see the pros in the video, i mean like start from the center and work your way out, heat it up and push it into the center of the handle and start moulding and streaching but it just didnt work, and by the time i got to the edges it wasnt sticky, this is why you need loads of it, becuase if you start with the size about the same size as the job you are covering the fooking edges with get all fucked up with your fingers, at one point i became so frustrated with it i was going to lunch it out the window. i got it done by cutting and patching it up, you cant tell becuase most of it is under the handles itself

[Edited on 20-03-2010 by wwwNOOBcom]
sand-eel

20th Mar 10 at 01:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is that a z3 the second pic?
jibjob

20th Mar 10 at 01:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As in a BMW Z3?
wwwNOOBcom

20th Mar 10 at 02:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

aye

[Edited on 20-03-2010 by wwwNOOBcom]
sand-eel

20th Mar 10 at 02:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

edit - so it is?

[Edited on 20-03-2010 by sand-eel]

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Carbon 22 database queries in 0.0821221 seconds