corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » What sort of running temps do you C20XE owners see?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author What sort of running temps do you C20XE owners see?
redtom

User status: Offline
24th Mar 10 at 19:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just under 90. creeps up in traffic but fans on a switch.

helpful indeed.
Nic Barnes

24th Mar 10 at 19:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR
Mine ran at 90 which is a bit hot.

Put the silicone hoses on and it hardly ever registered on the corsa temp gauge.

no archie. this person did though. i think that needs explaining.
Ste
Premium Member

24th Mar 10 at 19:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I lolled too. silicon is an insulator and would actually increase the temp if anything. kids!

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
pow
Premium Member

24th Mar 10 at 19:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd only worry when it gets to 100 TBH
mantamark

24th Mar 10 at 19:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why did you take the cool stat off?
Daveskater
Premium Member

24th Mar 10 at 19:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rich H
I'll give it a bit longer and see how I get on then. Only other thing I can think is that I've fitted a less open standard V grille back on as well, but can't see that's making a difference tbh.
I noticed a difference when changing from that grille to an LMF slatted one mate, but I think you should be able to get the backing thing off the back of the v-grille if you drill out the bits that look kind of like rivets but made from melted plastic if you get what I mean

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
Archie
Organiser: Scotland
Premium Member

24th Mar 10 at 19:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes
quote:
Originally posted by VXR
Mine ran at 90 which is a bit hot.

Put the silicone hoses on and it hardly ever registered on the corsa temp gauge.

no archie. this person did though. i think that needs explaining.

Ah my bad

Dale

24th Mar 10 at 22:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i used to run standard stat on my XE with standard 1.4 rad and a slimline fan on the standard fan switch, 90-94 driving and 95-96 in traffic or on track, my fan used to kick in at 95 slow and 97 fast iirc.... this was on both ronnie and monty
Stoneyginger
Premium Member

24th Mar 10 at 22:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i use a calibra turbo thermastat
Nic Barnes

24th Mar 10 at 22:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Stoneyginger
i use a calibra turbo thermastat

arent they just the same?
dale87

24th Mar 10 at 22:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine runs at 90 while driving no matter what the weather but does creep up to 97-98 in traffic and on hot days. I've sat in a traffic jam on the m6 in the middle of summer for a good hour or two with the fan kicking in every 5 mins and always thought as long as the temp drops down and the fan cuts in and out its fine.

I think some people forget the temp gauge on a corsa only has a 10 degree difference across the scale so it seems that they heat up quick when in traffic.

Ive always believed a pressurised coolant system is safe untill 115-120 deg and corsa only reads to 100, so as long as the fan is doing its job and the needle isn't in the red then it should be fine
Rich H

24th Mar 10 at 23:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorry for the lack of replies this eve - been out and cba to reply on my phone!

I removed the cool running kit as it was leaking round the gasket, but I also wanted to fit a proper kit to se what difference it made to the way the car ran etc - it's made the car run more efficiently that's for sure. MPG is great for an XE. But this is the first time I've driven it in warmer weather and noticed the temp guage warming up quicker. Drove it tonight in the rain and it didn't once go above 92 again lol.

Dave - Yeh I may take the grille back off and attack it with a dremel - I do like the fact it keeps the engine bay tidier atm though
Daimo B

25th Mar 10 at 09:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
explain to me how silicone hoses lower the water temp?

As I had a large bonnet extension, which meant no airflow, plus a LOT of chrome under the bonnet.

This makes under bonnet temperatures very high anyway, not to mention thin rubber black hoses.

Silicone hoses are much thicker and held the heat in the hoses better. This lowered the overal engine bay temperature by quite a lot (hand temp noticable!!), which in turn lowered oil and coolent temps as there was less ambient temperature, under the bonnet.

Temps were over 90 before, and under 90 after.

Same happened with my hoses on my 1.4 engine.
pow
Premium Member

25th Mar 10 at 09:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I always thought a cool running 'stat would do more damage that it would save?
Nic Barnes

25th Mar 10 at 22:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR
quote:
explain to me how silicone hoses lower the water temp?

As I had a large bonnet extension, which meant no airflow, plus a LOT of chrome under the bonnet.

This makes under bonnet temperatures very high anyway, not to mention thin rubber black hoses.

Silicone hoses are much thicker and held the heat in the hoses better. This lowered the overal engine bay temperature by quite a lot (hand temp noticable!!), which in turn lowered oil and coolent temps as there was less ambient temperature, under the bonnet.

Temps were over 90 before, and under 90 after.

Same happened with my hoses on my 1.4 engine.

i just dont believe any of that at all. dont want any replies with your usual personal insults. i just find it extremely hard to believe fitting silicone hoses dropped your average running temps over 10 degrees. as i say. i dont want no personal attacks.

[Edited on 25-03-2010 by Nic Barnes]

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » What sort of running temps do you C20XE owners see? 23 database queries in 0.0149848 seconds