corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Possibly getting a new car, but which one out of these

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Possibly getting a new car, but which one out of these
Pop

User status: Offline
9th Apr 10 at 20:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

With the diesels I'd imagine that most would be common rail diesels with diesel particulate filters. These need to have longer runs to clear the system and can cause major problems only doing short journeys.

Plus, diesel is more expensive and you have to do x amount of miles a year to make up the difference.
allza

9th Apr 10 at 20:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got similar cars in mind and out of them would go for the fabia. I'm after a fabia or mk5 golf tdi.
Bullet Proof SRi

9th Apr 10 at 22:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Pop
With the diesels I'd imagine that most would be common rail diesels with diesel particulate filters. These need to have longer runs to clear the system and can cause major problems only doing short journeys.

Plus, diesel is more expensive and you have to do x amount of miles a year to make up the difference.

Ive already said its not about the expense in paying out for the car in the first place, its about the costs afterwards.

Ive also never heard that diesels can have problems if they only do short journeys, im in no way saying your wrong, I wouldnt have a clue, just never heard that

[Edited on 09-04-2010 by Bullet Proof SRi]
Pop

9th Apr 10 at 22:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do diesel cars depreciate at a slower rate? As far as I was aware they did the same so a petrol would be more beneficial for you.
Pop

9th Apr 10 at 22:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The difference between petrol/diesel is what? £1500ish? Bank that difference and make a bit of interest in an ISA.
John

9th Apr 10 at 22:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1500 in an isa will be nothing over a year.

Fabia and Astra are good cars, I sometimes wish I'd got another Fabia, wouldn't dream of buying any petrol astra apart from the vxr.

Diesels will depreciate at worst the same as the petrol, so you get the extra outlay back when you come to sell.
Pop

9th Apr 10 at 22:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have a read of this...

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/fuels-and-environment/diesel-particulate-filters.html

The type of driving you do could lead to DPF filter damage unless you get the car out on longer runs. It's a costly thing if you need a new DPF filter.
John

9th Apr 10 at 22:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fabia vrs doesn't have a dpf, neither does the astra, new shape fabias are rubbish, don't know about the mini.
Pop

9th Apr 10 at 22:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's cool, wasn't sure if they did or not.
John

9th Apr 10 at 22:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I get the point about diesels being more expensive and how many miles it takes etc etc.

Diesel is the same price as petrol atm though and you get quite a bit more mpg than just about any of the petrol engines, even smaller ones.

It might cost 1500 more to buy but it's worth that much more when you come to sell so you either do a million miles and make it back or you sell it and make it back.

IMO the diesels are better than most of the petrols these days as well.

Doesn't seem to be for everyone though.
Pop

9th Apr 10 at 22:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have no problem with diesel cars. Had both petrol and diesel astras as company cars.

I understand too what you are saying about cost before, during and after ownership.

My advice would be to drive both petrol and diesel versions of a car you like to see which you prefer.
Bullet Proof SRi

9th Apr 10 at 22:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know a petrol car would probably work out cheaper in the long or certainly i will take some time for the diesel VFM to kick in.

My problem with the petrols now, especially high performance ones is the fuel economy is shocking even on the 1.8 astras/corsas, the tax is now something like £125 for 6 months. Thats what really annoys me.

In all honesty i would rather pay out the extra for for a diesel just so that when tax comes around i dont get in a grump, its also nice to know you can put your foot down and the needle doesnt drop as fast as a petrol.

Again though im really not sure what fuel economy on a diesel would be like for short journeys, i can only assume equal to or slightly better then the petrol.

I have no clue as to if they cost more to service either.
Bullet Proof SRi

9th Apr 10 at 22:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Pop
I have no problem with diesel cars. Had both petrol and diesel astras as company cars.

I understand too what you are saying about cost before, during and after ownership.

My advice would be to drive both petrol and diesel versions of a car you like to see which you prefer.

Fair play coz TBH the only diesel i have ever drivin is a Fabia VRS on a test drive, loved it but only drove it for like 10mins, I had a quick drive in a new volvo estate diesel aswell. I dont understand when people say you have to drive them different to petrol cars, it seems as though you just change lower down the revs as the limiter is like 4-5k and you dont have to change down gear as much if at all
John

9th Apr 10 at 22:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In both my fabia vrs and my astra, short stop start journeys to work, boot down everywhere else, I get around 40 mpg (both mapped/boxed) I was getting about half that when I had my saab

Done a few hundred miles over the past couple of days, 80+ for most of it, loads of overtaking, boot down whenever I could, been getting 50 mpg in the astra, I wouldn't be getting half than in a petrol or getting there anywhere near as quick.
Gav Corsa

10th Apr 10 at 00:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fabia 1.9 TDI VRS
Sportycorsa86

10th Apr 10 at 00:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think id go for the astra. fabia is looking ugly now!! even if it is a good car!! the engine in the astra will map to 200bhp anyway!
Griffiths1991

10th Apr 10 at 00:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Astra tbh.
Bullet Proof SRi

13th Apr 10 at 09:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sand-eel
Whats the max mileage? as there are more quality cars out there for £7k.

Like?????
GF-91
Banned

13th Apr 10 at 09:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nics corsa
Beato

13th Apr 10 at 11:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Astra CDTi 150, but am biased.
A2H GO

13th Apr 10 at 12:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I swopped my Cooper S for an Astra 150 CDTi, like you i only do around 9k a year but just wanted the lower running costs after the Mini.

Much to my surprise i get around 60 miles to £10 in the Astra which is exactly the same as i was getting in the Cooper S, same routes and driving style. Possibly due to needing to comute further or include motorways to benefit from the Diesel. Insurance didnt change either despite it being 4 groups lower as Greelight said it came within the same BHP band.

Also, because its not within warrently and having read no end of stories around EGR, Swirl Flaps, Dual Mass Flywheels, Gearbox's and Clutches failing i think im going to sell. Also had to have the cambelt/Water Pump done last week as one of the pulleys started rattleing(54k miles) and not sure if i could afford for any of the above parts to fail, hence buying a diesel in the first place.

Regardless its still a nice car to drive.

[Edited on 13-04-2010 by CorsAsh-Sport]
allza

13th Apr 10 at 12:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

John, what are the new shape fabia's? I was thinking of getting one on a 06 plate. Thought they were all the same? Or have they just bought out a new model?
Iain M

13th Apr 10 at 12:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Astra mate tbh. Is my next car for sure. Look around and you can get the 1.9cdti with the exterior pack which make them look bloody good. Have a toot on astrasport there is a section dedicated to these. As mentioned before can get the tuning boxes for these which see 200bhp with a lot of torque. I'll be gettin one in red or black after the wedding
Ben J

13th Apr 10 at 13:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Astra SRI CDTI 150 XP.

Bullet Proof SRi

14th Apr 10 at 00:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CorsAsh-Sport
I swopped my Cooper S for an Astra 150 CDTi, like you i only do around 9k a year but just wanted the lower running costs after the Mini.

Much to my surprise i get around 60 miles to £10 in the Astra which is exactly the same as i was getting in the Cooper S, same routes and driving style. Possibly due to needing to comute further or include motorways to benefit from the Diesel. Insurance didnt change either despite it being 4 groups lower as Greelight said it came within the same BHP band.

Also, because its not within warrently and having read no end of stories around EGR, Swirl Flaps, Dual Mass Flywheels, Gearbox's and Clutches failing i think im going to sell. Also had to have the cambelt/Water Pump done last week as one of the pulleys started rattleing(54k miles) and not sure if i could afford for any of the above parts to fail, hence buying a diesel in the first place.

Regardless its still a nice car to drive.

[Edited on 13-04-2010 by CorsAsh-Sport]

So in actual fact your mini cooper s was wuite good on fuel, and not too bad on the insurance.

The bits in red worry me alot though

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Possibly getting a new car, but which one out of these 22 database queries in 0.0127132 seconds