corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » driving licence help(towing a trailor)

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author driving licence help(towing a trailor)
gazza808

User status: Offline
19th May 10 at 17:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But you can tow a corsa on a trailer with 1.5 tonne MAM with a 2tonne MAM car. On a licence taken after 97.
Leighton

19th May 10 at 17:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All im going to say is me and Ian have spent alot of time looking into this and that is why i am getting a C1+E and he is upgrading the Pre 97 to a full C1+E as well.

Gazza if you want to tow by the way you are saying make sure you take a print of the website with you when you get stopped so you can try explane it
gazza808

19th May 10 at 17:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have been stopped by vosa, weighed me all was ok, and sent on my way. Was border line though.
People get trailer that can carry more then their licence allows hence why they get in trouble even though it could be empty

[Edited on 19-05-2010 by gazza808]
Nic Barnes

19th May 10 at 17:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by gazza808
But you can tow a corsa on a trailer with 1.5 tonne MAM with a 2tonne MAM car. On a licence taken after 97.

no.
John

19th May 10 at 17:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.parkers.co.uk/Company-cars/Advice/Towing/

You must hold a full driving licence to to drive vehicle and trailer combinations weighing up to 8.25 tonnes. However, if you passed your test after January 1, 1997 then these restrictions apply:

Vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes and no more than eight passenger seats (ie: officially dubbed Category B vehicles and are typical cars) with a 750kg trailer (4.25 tonnes total Maximum Authorised Mass or MAM).

That says you can't tow over 750kgMAM with a car.
Leighton

19th May 10 at 17:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think he is getting confuesd by looking at it as iff he can tow up to othe 4.25tonnes mark, were thats only listed if you have a big car like a disco that weighs 3.5 tonnes
gazza808

19th May 10 at 17:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That I agree with a disco or larger van you are limited to 750kgs on normal licence,
but if you have a 2tonne car and 1.5tonne mam trailer your legal. Adding up to 3.5tonne.

[Edited on 19-05-2010 by gazza808]
pooly-adam

19th May 10 at 17:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i recently had this problem i rang dvla and a drivin train company and the answer was i can tow my caravan because the mamof my caravan is 850kg and that isnot heavier than me fvreelander then the both weights do not exceed 3.5tonne so i can tow my caravan without takin a seperate test wich i got quoted £630
gazza808

19th May 10 at 17:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For example:

•a vehicle with an unladen weight of 1.25 tonnes and a MAM of 2 tonnes coupled with a trailer with a MAM of 1.25 tonnes could be driven by the holder of a category B entitlement. This is because the MAM of the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes and also the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the drawing vehicle
Whereas

•the same vehicle with an unladen weight of 1.25 tonnes and a MAM of 2 tonnes when coupled with a trailer with a MAM of 1.5 tonnes would fall within category B+E. This is because although the combined weight of the vehicle and trailer is within the 3.5 tonnes MAM limit, the MAM of the trailer is more than the unladen weight of the drawing vehicle
•Vehicle manufacturers normally recommend a maximum weight of trailer appropriate to their vehicle. Details can usually be found in the vehicle's handbook or obtained from car dealerships. The size of the trailer recommended for an average family car with an unladen weight of around 1 tonne would be well within the new category B threshold.
gazza808

19th May 10 at 17:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pooly-adam
i recently had this problem i rang dvla and a drivin train company and the answer was i can tow my caravan because the mamof my caravan is 850kg and that isnot heavier than me fvreelander then the both weights do not exceed 3.5tonne so i can tow my caravan without takin a seperate test wich i got quoted £630

exactly i did the same thing, even though it's also in black and white on the website.
pooly-adam

19th May 10 at 18:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u can i towmy caravan and its completely legal i dnt need a seperate licence as long as the mam of the traileris not more than the unladen weight of the vehicle then th both weights dnt go over 3.5 tonne
bigron1988

19th May 10 at 19:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so does this mean i need to do another licence or not ?lol
Nic Barnes

19th May 10 at 19:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the internet says you dont. and the internet never lies.
bigron1988

19th May 10 at 19:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol, any links to companys that do the tests?, thanks
Nic Barnes

19th May 10 at 19:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yellow pages mate for your area. should be a lot listed.

my advice is tomorrow to phone vosa or dvla or whatever and ask them about towing and go with what they tell you that you are entitled to use your license for.
Cole

19th May 10 at 19:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i passed my test on january 19th 1997 i was gutted
basslinecorsa
Premium Member

19th May 10 at 19:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but he got his license in feb 2006 so surely all this does not apply?

Project Scarlett - http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=661417
Ian
Site Administrator

19th May 10 at 19:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My understanding is that you can tow a trailer over 750kg if:

The MAM of the car is greater than that of the trailer.

The train weighs less than 3.5t

So you are OK with a trailer of, for example 850kg MAM like a caravan if your car has a MAM greater than 850kg but less than 2650kg, which most would be.

The problem you have is that towing a car means your trailer is a lot heavier than a caravan. You need a trailer of around 500kg then you've only 1250kg for the car which is a light car by modern standards. Then you need a car of exactly 1750kg. More than that and you'll be over the 3.5t train, less than that and your trailer will be heavier than the car.

Very, very borderline if you're planning to tow a car.

There are permutations where it will work but you need to be very careful indeed.

And for the record, the reason I need to upgrade my pre-97 C1+E to a post 97 is that I can only currently draw a train of 8250kg which based on the plated weight of the wagon at 7500 only gives me a 750kg trailer, which isn't enough to tow the Puma on a trailer.

Transit van and Puma on the trailer is fine as the lower weight of the van allows more weight for the trailer whilst staying under 8250kg.

New C1+E gives 12t train which will allow a 3.5t trailer on the wagon.

Clear as mud.

Regarding the original question, that Brian James trailer - in fact most twin axle car trailers - are out of the question as they are plated to 2t MAM. So there is no circumstance under which you can stay below a 3.5t train if your tow car must be heaver than the trailer.

[Edited on 19-05-2010 by Ian]
gazza808

19th May 10 at 19:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks for clearing that up
bigron1988

19th May 10 at 19:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks ian, any idea how much it will cost for the extra licence ?
Ian
Site Administrator

19th May 10 at 20:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends where you go and also how ready you are for the test. Mine was 530 but that includes the bigger test, failed it so another 115 for the test plus perhaps another few hours tuition/hire of the van and trailer.

Not cheap but I've no choice as the wagon is so heavy.

B+E will be less if you're towing with something smaller but you need to shop around and do a few assessment drives. Also helps if you can practise somewhere although I would find a big trailer to do that with and get someone to drive you to the car park rather than try and learn with a little Erde or something fiddly like that.
pow
Premium Member

19th May 10 at 20:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Spent ages looking into this:

You can tow a trailer + load + car > 3500kg. The MAM of the trailer must not exceed the unlaiden weight of the car.
j7 gkk

19th May 10 at 22:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right peeps i have my class1 (C+E) so know about this, you can tow a trailer but the vehicle pulling it with the combination of the trailer cannot exceed 3.5tonne gross weight, for example a 2tonne car would only be able to pull a trailer that weighs no more than 1.5 tonne. They brought the B+E out for people to pull more than 3.5tonne gross weight for example a big transit say around 4tonne which will pull a trailer that is 2.5tonne, unless you take your C1 C or C+E the towing vehicle cannot exceed 3.5 tonne then plus the trailer which is +E
FAO Leighton, why not just take your C+E? you can take your C license which is the same as C1 but bigger then class 1 C+E, and you can drive anything then instead of been restricted on weight
poolyboy81

19th May 10 at 23:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Leighton
Were are you located? there will be loads of driving schools around you that will do it for you.

And as AK says if your going to try make some money off doing this you will need the correct insurances and a CPC on your driving license as well which allows you to make money from driving, this needs to be done every 5 years.
you will need public liability insurance as well

And if im not mistaken, if its for the purposes of business, making money, the tow vehicle needs a tacho in it. May be wrong but sure its correct
ianofbhills

20th May 10 at 00:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so as there is some confusion over this what is the answer for the original question?
vectra c tow car 1300kg ish
corsa let 1100kg ish
trailer 500kg ish (not sure how heavy a trailer would be)
= less then 3500 total but the trailer weight is more then the tow car.

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » driving licence help(towing a trailor) 23 database queries in 0.0216150 seconds