corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Following on from the ST vs VXR thread

Poll: Following on from the ST vs VXR thread
  Astra VXR
  Focus ST
  Leon Cupra K1
  Mazda 3 MPS
  Robin is gay
  Other

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Following on from the ST vs VXR thread
Andy Stocker

User status: Offline
20th May 10 at 21:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm intrigued by Grahams Mazda, looks nice and goes as well, but i'd still take the Astra
mwg

20th May 10 at 21:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd go for the Focus. In white. Prefer the styling and noise. I prefer the image of it to the Astra too (unless the Focus is orange )
fir3vip3r

20th May 10 at 21:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mwg
An r32

Eck
Premium Member

20th May 10 at 21:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

An R32 can GTF. Yes the noise is epic, and they are quick. But it takes so much caley dough to make it quicker My heart is swinging towards the Mazda or Cupra for some reason
Graham88

20th May 10 at 22:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Andy Stocker
I'm intrigued by Grahams Mazda, looks nice and goes as well, but i'd still take the Astra

You will see it go this weekend mate, welcome to a passenger lap

I gather from the choices you want a fast yet comfortable kind of car, and tbh all of those pretty much cover that, they're all quite tightly combined in a way, it's just down to your own preferences and what you think of each car when you test drive it.

For me -

Astra VXR - I love them, they were my choice of car until I realised just how many of them I see about, I like a more individual car. Saying that I'd still have one! Very good tuning capability.

Focus ST - a very big car, don't really do it for me on looks but further than that I couldn't comment as they're not my thing. Good tuning capability.

Leon Cupra K1 - I think these are alot more expensive than the rest of the choice you are looking at, but very nice cars, very good tuning capabilities. I know one with 360bhp (maxed out on standard turbo) and the thing is an animal. They look good too!

MPS - Obviously I can have more of an opinion on this...the looks, kind of sleeperish really, people are always surprised by it, or asking me about it because it looks sporty but they're not sure, because it's just a 5 door Mazda. The 5 door bit annoys me tbh, I wish they had made a 3 door, but they didn't so I deal with it. They are a big car (1485kgs) and that is shown sometimes through bends. Mine is the Aero version which comes standard with Eibach springs and it doesn't seem to boat too much, feels fairly planted, as much as a car of that size can be anyway. Comes with a diff so puts the power down fairly well but you will still spin 2nd in the dry quite easily. The way the power comes in is superb, mine has a cone filter on it and you can hear the turbo spooling up and at 3k the thing just goes, it puts a smile on my face everytime! Torque steer can be a bit savage at times but you soon learn to deal with it, I can control it with one hand now you get used to it! Pulls hard in every gear up to 160 (private road) then creeps up after that. Very comfy to drive, very easy to drive thanks to the power, the seats are awesome, I love the interior, 6 disc cd changer as standard all in the dash so no going in the boot! I just think you get more for your money with the MPS, I picked mine up 07 plate, 18k miles for 11k, you can get some for 10k now, you are looking at a couple of grand more for an Astra VXR of similar spec and age and mileage!

This is mine on track, you can see it's capable to go fast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdoOTmGnOC0

My criticisms of the car - The paint is utter wank, it's so soft, my front end is stone chipped to fuck on a 2 and a half year old car, it's a joke tbh! But that depends how anal you are with cleaning. Tuning capability is expensive. Only one company does remaps for them, everything has to be imported from America which is costly, but having said that, with 260bhp I sometimes wonder whether more power would be too much, coming out of bends it's quite lively! The only other thing is I can't help but think about if that engine was in something alot lighter, but that's just a dream lol.

Don't really know what else to say other than go and take one for a drive!

My choice of car if I could choose again would probably be an R26-R, but these are almost double what the MPS's go for, and I'm not sure if I could put up with 2 seats!

[Edited on 20-05-2010 by Graham88]
Graham88

20th May 10 at 22:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Christ, I wrote alot
Jambo

20th May 10 at 23:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you forgot the [/paul_j] tags there dude
lostboy
Banned

20th May 10 at 23:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Graham88
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdoOTmGnOC0

Looks quite impressive as it is, I went out as a passenger in one around croft and when the guy planted his foot, fuck me it shifted, it planted me in the seat and I was more impressed with the MPS as a passenger than I was with the Porsche Cayman S I drove round the track.
tom-gardiner

20th May 10 at 23:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Leion Cupra
Fro

21st May 10 at 05:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Graham88

Pulls hard in every gear up to 160 (private road) then creeps up after that.

Unless you've had the limiter(155) removed you wouldn't have got to 155 yet if the speed is still increasing.

Eck get something RWD

[Edited on 21-05-2010 by fro-dizzle]
allza

21st May 10 at 06:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Leon k1 with the revo stage 2+. You then have over 360bhp for not much money. They also sound and look immense. They are about 15k + though as they haven't been out as long.
mwg

21st May 10 at 08:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it was me I'd actually be buying a MK5 Golf Edition 30 in Candy White. Then having it remapped to 300bhp. Rather have that than any of the options here.
adiohead

21st May 10 at 09:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by fir3vip3r
quote:
Originally posted by mwg
An r32

quicker than a VXR on track

[Edited on 21-05-2010 by adiohead]
Griffiths1991

21st May 10 at 09:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Astra VXR everytime for me.
Ian W

21st May 10 at 10:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Probably an ST in blue or white.

Driven nothing on the list but that is my favourite styling wise.

Nath

21st May 10 at 10:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by adiohead
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mwg
An r32

And cheaper.
Ben J

21st May 10 at 10:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by adiohead
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mwg
An r32

debatable!!
3CorsaMeal

21st May 10 at 11:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Everyone on here moans about some cars being expensive to buy and mod, yet surely while you are changing from everyday hot hatch to everyday hot hatch every couple of few years you are loosing money here there and everywhere. Almost throwing it away
Ben G

21st May 10 at 11:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kurt
Jap hater

Tbh though, they all sound boring and common, Seat and Mazda being the exception. I'm not saying the
civic is amazing or uncommon btw. Before ojc and ben start threatening lips off

There are other cars out there that I think yousy gave overlooked

i don't mind people criticising cars but they could at least drive them before saying ''st's are shit becaus it's a ford''. rally immature

i'd personally go for either the MPS or the ST, but that's only because i've had experience of them.

the vxr and K1 are great cars, although i'm not too sure on the styling of the K1. astra vxr's sound great with a remus exhaust.

potential of the ST tuning wise is better i think. not too sure on tuning options for the astra.
Ben G

21st May 10 at 11:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh and the LSD on the MPS makes it drive so much better than other hot hatches.
Ben J

21st May 10 at 11:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There massive tuning option on the Astra VXR......as much if not more than anything else.

Ben G

21st May 10 at 11:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh ok, i remember ojc's on the rr go 285bhp or something. think that was a remap, full exhaust, not sure what else.

an ST with a remap, exhaust, intercooler and CAIS will be approx 300bhp.

it's mainly the intercooler which is the restriction in these cars as they are small and shite.
Daimo B

21st May 10 at 11:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tbh Ben, the Volvo engine Ford uses has been about for longer and more tuning options about. The Norweigies go mental over them.

The Astra engine has been about for just as long in a different format (non oil spray barred 200bhp model), but its always going to be behined in terms of tuning with 1 less cyclinder and 500cc less capacity.

The Astra can be run at 300bhp odd without much, afterwards your looking at new turbos etc.

I think a realistic drivable-ish figure would be 350-400 which is a new manifold and turbo job, but I think the internals arn't too bad. I wouldn't want to go any more than 350 really anyway, it'll just spin everywhere.

Im not saying which cars I think are best, jsut get moaned at.

Olly would be all over this like pedo bear at a nursary if he was at work
3CorsaMeal

21st May 10 at 11:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its the same old people talking about the same old (new) cars, stating the same bhp conversations.

imo you are all getting milked by vauxhall & ford.

Ben G

21st May 10 at 11:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why? are you saying everyone that has done these mod's are not getting the figures?

they are massively restricted from the factory.

think about it, a 2.5L turbo 5 cylinder lump only producing 225bhp from factory? they need to be reliable so they restrict them for the mass market.

aftermarket companies had a problem a while back with the liners cracking on focus st's with new hybrid turbo's running 350bhp iirc, but it's sorted now.

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Following on from the ST vs VXR thread 22 database queries in 0.0193541 seconds