corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Stripping cars, the debate!

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Stripping cars, the debate!
Steve
Premium Member

User status: Offline
7th Jun 10 at 07:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Graham88
I stripped the back of my Fiesta out to go on track, I noticed a big difference, and that was only seats & spare wheel really and a few bits of carpet. Was alot more arse end happy but the car felt alot quicker and was alot more fun to drive.

I don't see how people can say it doesn't make a difference, it's the same power pulling something with less weight, of course it's going to be quicker

thats true you may notice small diferences here and there but on track its all pretty neglible in small powered hatches.

just look at tonys dads car, 1.8 corsa fully stripped compared to my full fat puma, the differences on the straights were pretty much identical
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

7th Jun 10 at 07:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes but what do the cars weigh? baring in mind that Alan's corsa has a different engine than standard, and a big old cage? Also the Puma is made out of foil and lacks alot interior to begin with, what are the power stats for both? Bit silly comparing a 1.8 corsa to a standard puma isnt it?
ed

7th Jun 10 at 07:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you strip it and then adjust the suspension accordingly then you're sorted.
Steve
Premium Member

7th Jun 10 at 08:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
yes but what do the cars weigh? baring in mind that Alan's corsa has a different engine than standard, and a big old cage? Also the Puma is made out of foil and lacks alot interior to begin with, what are the power stats for both? Bit silly comparing a 1.8 corsa to a standard puma isnt it?

well the way i see it comparing a factory puma to a factory corsa 1.6 the puma is marginally faster.

Fit a 1.8 to the corsa and that brings the straight line performance roughly inline.

Then strip the corsa and it hasnt really made that much difference in speed, obviously not the most scientific test in the world, but my point is it doesnt have to be scientific or particularly accurate, in the real world it really doesnt make much difference.

obviously alan has other gains from stripping, a cage, buckets etc etc which make it worthwhile to his particular car, but has stripping made much difference to straight line speed? doubtful

dont get me wrong iv been sorely tempted to strip mine, but only to be able to fit buckets, not for any kind of performance gain.

Unless you are building something very track focussed though, I dont think its worth it

[Edited on 07-06-2010 by Steve]
Ojc

7th Jun 10 at 08:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay

No not really. A Ford Puma isn't an AX GT, they are well screwed together.

It's all a bit stupid speculating whats faster, Alans 1.8 16v being 115bhp Steves being 125bhp but being very similar in straight line speed so does that mean that stripping out the Corsa has made up for the 10bhp difference in power? Or is the Corsa a heavier car to start with and Steves Puma has advantages in aerodynamics yadda yadda.

Too many variables.
Steve
Premium Member

7th Jun 10 at 08:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Will you plaese get back to work so i can email you
Jambo

7th Jun 10 at 08:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think what Steve is saying Will is it may feel quicker, but seats out alone doesn't make much of a real world difference.

bit like theres not a massive difference between being in the car alone or with one adult passenger. Sure the maths speak for themselves but its not going to make a huge performance increase...
gavin18787
Premium Member

7th Jun 10 at 09:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:
move fuse boxes internal to the car same wit ecu ect and you can pull the center of grip back by getting more equal weight on the tyres all round

yer there is alot of stuff been said that isnt going to make much difference, especially for the amount of work that you would have to put in. Fuse box weighs sweet fa anyway.
There are alot of members on there that seem to do alot of things to their cars but dont ever really drive them on track etc anyway. But then on the other hand there are a good few experianced and knowledable people on there.

Problem is its all based on saxo's which dont weigh anything anyway and the inside is made from cheap plastic

eg when I posted the rear seats from the civic type r it came to around 50kg in total

same part from the saxo is about 15kg

might as well just take the spare wheel out and be done with it

Drives supercharged Tec with torque
ed

7th Jun 10 at 09:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think that was quoted because whoever wrote it is a spastic.
Nic Barnes

7th Jun 10 at 09:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

should just buy a track car instead of messing on with road cars if thats the extreme pathetic antics people are on about. Seems a waste of time moving fuse box etc.
Steve
Premium Member

7th Jun 10 at 09:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

deffo, pointless utterly pointless
3CorsaMeal

7th Jun 10 at 09:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its an act of desperation and the people who seem to do it are the same kind of people that spray standard wheels a silly colour and fit 2nd hand £75 suspension thats probably fcuked anyway

worth it on say willays astra as he uses it properly, but for a 1.4 corsa that people use to go to work and back i can only laugh
Nic Barnes

7th Jun 10 at 09:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

exactly jim. I use mine for work though lol.
Ian
Site Administrator

7th Jun 10 at 10:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm feeling some tests coming on next time we strip something.
Nic Barnes

7th Jun 10 at 10:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

decent brakes. Decent suspension and decent tyres. That will make the most difference compared to removing 50kg weight to your average road car.
3CorsaMeal

7th Jun 10 at 10:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i don't find my car feels any slower with a single passenger, how many kg's on average is that?
Steve
Premium Member

7th Jun 10 at 10:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes
decent brakes. Decent suspension and decent tyres. That will make the most difference compared to removing 50kg weight to your average road car.

this
Eck
Premium Member

7th Jun 10 at 16:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My XSi 16v utterly hammered a standard 106 GTi. Same power, but quite a bit less weight. And it never felt dangerous around corners. If anything, with it being a bit lighter at the back, the front end felt more responsive and quicker to turn in.
corsa120

7th Jun 10 at 16:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thing is stripping say a rear of a corsa of its basics i.e seats and spare wheel etc aint really that much weight really is it
Steve
Premium Member

7th Jun 10 at 17:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Eck
My XSi 16v utterly hammered a standard 106 GTi. Same power, but quite a bit less weight. And it never felt dangerous around corners. If anything, with it being a bit lighter at the back, the front end felt more responsive and quicker to turn in.

thing is thats a naturally lighter car anyway, that wasnt achieved just from removing some seats
Eck
Premium Member

7th Jun 10 at 17:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

True. That was achieved from having nothing but two seats and most of a dash
Ojc

7th Jun 10 at 17:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Me and Rach are going to start using the Polo for some track driving seeing as it's just as much fun in slower cars.

I think stripping the Polo out with be of some benefit as VW stuff especially seats are quite heavy and tuning wise the GTi isn't very well catered for so esentially the only way to see some sort of gains is to remove some weight.

But then have to put them back again and can't use buckets as Rach uses the car in the week to ferry kids around

Remind me, can you fit buckets on sliding subframes? So that they can still be moved forward? I had something like that on my Nova in the early days but I can't remember if they went forward or not.

Also, maybe an option is to fit better standard seats, like Fiesta Turbo Recaros onto the standard subframes, is that easy?
Steve
Premium Member

7th Jun 10 at 17:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dont you start stripping, it will encourage me
Ojc

7th Jun 10 at 17:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only for track days, and prob only the rear seats. When I eventually have the energy to do it I'll take them out one day and see how heavy they are, if they aren't that bad I prob won't bother.
Steve
Premium Member

7th Jun 10 at 17:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but then il end up buying them buckets and that means i wont end up on warrens lap at the gp track

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Stripping cars, the debate! 23 database queries in 0.0111191 seconds