corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Electrical whizzes

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Electrical whizzes
Steve
Premium Member

User status: Offline
17th Jun 10 at 13:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i might just make it up and attach a wire to one of the cigarette lighter ones and see what happens
ed

17th Jun 10 at 14:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
yes im messing about making a sequential led shift light, the parts are only a few quid and i reckon i might be able to sell a few as the ones you buy cheapest is like 90 quid
But you can use the signal for that on your project.
Steve
Premium Member

17th Jun 10 at 14:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you mean take it from the same place theres does in the fitting instructions? not a bad idea, just need to find out there fitting instructions now lol
ed

17th Jun 10 at 14:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep, the way that IC works is to take a signal and turn it into a voltage. A good place to start would be the existing rev counter wiring. If that doesn't work you can get a signal by wrapping some wire around the HT lead coming from the coil. If that doesn't work then you can get a signal from the ground of the coil pack. The signal from the cigarette lighter will probably be quite noisy and shitty as the alternator will get in there and fuck things up.
Steve
Premium Member

17th Jun 10 at 14:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yep someone has fitted an omex one, red wire in the kit goes to live, black wire to earth then a blue one goes to one of the wires going to the dials, i can only assume this is the pulse one

so getting there, just need to figure out which wire that would be on mine, i guess i could make it and just try all of them until one works lol
ed

17th Jun 10 at 14:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Haynes manual will have a wiring diagram in the back
ed

17th Jun 10 at 14:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That IC might still work if it's a pulse signal though I couldn't say for sure. Would a piece of piss to do it with a PICAXE if it is a pulse though...

[Edited on 17-06-2010 by ed]
Steve
Premium Member

17th Jun 10 at 14:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont have any means to program a PIC chip
ed

17th Jun 10 at 14:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

PICAXE is different to a PIC. All you need to program a PICAXE is the serial cable wich costs a couple of quid and then you just stick a 3.5mm stereo socket onto your board for programming. They're pretty useful for little projects like this.
Steve
Premium Member

17th Jun 10 at 14:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

could be an option if this fails, only reason i was pursuing that is because the diagram is right there laid out in front of me so me being shit with electronics shouldnt get it too badly wrong
Dom

17th Jun 10 at 17:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
That IC might still work if it's a pulse signal though I couldn't say for sure. Would a piece of piss to do it with a PICAXE if it is a pulse though...

[Edited on 17-06-2010 by ed]

I already mentioned about using an Arduino (can be had for £8-10) and they are a piece of piss to program. If you could get a gear selector feed (possibly calculate it from the pulse feed to the speedo and from the coil side like most gear indicators do) you could then map RPM to gear (could even have a desktop program to program the arduino board so the end-user could customise it).

Steve
Premium Member

17th Jun 10 at 22:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

god knows what your on about

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll