corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Drink drive limit

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Drink drive limit
Ben D

User status: Offline
16th Jun 10 at 14:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm sorry but i think you need to have the foresight to recongnise the need to travel home afterwords, Obviously alcohol is going to impair you to some degree no matter how slight or otherwise, besides it encourages other people to do the same who may not have the same tolerance to alcohol.

[Edited on 16-06-2010 by Benji D]
Paul_J

16th Jun 10 at 14:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Benji D
Why drink 1 pint at all and drive? just dont drink if your planning on driving simple problem solved,

Are you shitting me? - wtf?

- Because it's enjoyable to have a nice pint of beer or cider while relaxing in the sun. Not rocket science.
Colin

16th Jun 10 at 14:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DannyB
I'm trying to say that they just shouldn't allow it at all, it encourages people to do it if anything. If it was outlawed alltogether then there would be more serious consequences should you be caught. Rather than a mediocre ban and a slap on the arse.

But its not going to solve anything.........at all!!

Its just going to fuck over the people that know their limits & like to chill with a beer or 2 by the evening.

Its like trying to cure acne by repeatedly hitting yourself in the face with a shovel.
mwg

16th Jun 10 at 14:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I'm sorry but i think you need to have the foresight to recongnise the need to travel home afterwords,

I know full well before the pint glass has even touched my lips that I'm driving home afterwards. I dont go in, have a pint then go oh yeah I'm driving.
Paul_J

16th Jun 10 at 14:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I'm sorry but i think you need to have the foresight to recongnise the need to travel home afterwords, Obviously alcohol is going to impair you to some degree no matter how slight or otherwise, besides it encourages other people to do the same who may not have the same tolerance to alcohol.

We're talking about 1 pint here, get off your high horse. You clearly don't drink or enjoy drinking or understand why people enjoy a drink, so you're not a very good candidate for debate on this matter.

1 drink and then driving will not effect you much at all (hence even at the reduced 0.5mg it'll be legal to have 1 drink - as this is classed as safe).

There is no need for a zero tolerance policy. The people who actually DRINK DRIVE - i.e. have more than 1 pint and drive will still do it when there's a zero tolerance policy.
Colin

16th Jun 10 at 14:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
quote:
Why drink 1 pint at all and drive? just dont drink if your planning on driving simple problem solved,

Are you shitting me? - wtf?

- Because it's enjoyable to have a nice pint of beer or cider while relaxing in the sun. Not rocket science.

I think some of the younger mob are still of the opinion that people only drink to get mind alteringly trollied!!

I enjoy a drink or 2, socially, mainly because any more & I turn into a twat But also just because I enjoy it.
DannyB
Premium Member

16th Jun 10 at 14:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No one is saying there won't be Paul, I'd like to know the figures for accidents of people who have just had 1 pint then drove actually, I bet it's interesting.
Colin

16th Jun 10 at 14:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Heres a thing then.......................if they do change it. Who's going to stop having a beer or 2 & driving home??

I'm not....fuck them. This is a breach of my human rights!!

Honesty i'll still do it, as morally im not in the wrong. If they catch up with me & take my license then they might aswell poke themselves in the eye......do you know how much a year my car generates in tax money!! haha fuck them!! I'll just buy £400 a month of old tyres & fet fire to them....see if they can tax my new o-zone depleating hobbie!!
Ben D

I do drink quite regularly actually, i just dont drive home or anywhere else afterwards, and if you believe one pint has no effect on the human body your dillusional, although different peoples tollerences to alcohol would have to be taken into consideration of course but still in my opinion its irresponsible and rather selfish for anybody to get behind the wheel of a car and drive, i dont mean this as a personal attack mate but you are quite possibly putting other peoples welfare at risk. and i'm i am not for a zero tolerancy approach either as there is too much margi for error in whether the offender is actually guilty of drink driving or if it is an honest mistake i merely believe the punishment should be more severe as a detterrent
Paul_J

quote:
Originally posted by DannyB
No one is saying there won't be Paul, I'd like to know the figures for accidents of people who have just had 1 pint then drove actually, I bet it's interesting.

The problem is, how can you conclude whether the accident happened due to drink or other factors?

e.g.

A sobre person pulls out at a junction and gets side swiped by an oncoming car. No alcohol involved - it was just the driver was a person who didn't pay attention (and generally a bad driver).

Another driver has had 1 pint and is equally unobservant and pulls out at a junction and get sideswiped.

- in one case it's just an 'accident' ... just driver error. In the other it'll be said 'drink was in his system' and therefore an influence.

We're talking 1 pint here though, the effects will be minimal - the accident coincidental.
Paul_J

16th Jun 10 at 14:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I do drink quite regularly actually, i just dont drive home or anywhere else afterwards, and if you believe one pint has no effect on the human body your dillusional, although different peoples tollerences to alcohol would have to be taken into consideration of course but still in my opinion its irresponsible and rather selfish for anybody to get behind the wheel of a car and drive, i dont mean this as a personal attack mate but you are quite possibly putting other peoples welfare at risk. and i'm i am not for a zero tolerancy approach either as there is too much margi for error in whether the offender is actually guilty of drink driving or if it is an honest mistake i merely believe the punishment should be more severe as a detterrent

We're talking about 1 drink.

I don't know about you, but when I do have one drink and drive, I generally turn up at a pub on a nice sunny day. Order my pint, maybe some food. Over the next course an hour I drink my pint, eat my food.

After finishing my pint I may still wait for a while longer before leaving.

- the amount of alcohol in my system is probably barely noticeable - therefore I never 'feel' any effect from this. It's not irresponsible, I'm not risking people's lives any more than when I drive around normally.

Stop confusing people having a few cans / beers and driving home and what we're talking about here - 1 single pint spread over a fairly large space of time.
Ben D

16th Jun 10 at 14:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OK fair enough i can sympathise with your points howerver, what if an 18 year old who has no tolerance for alcohol has a pint and then drives home, do you still think that would be acceptable? obviously the effects are going to be considerably more for him/her.

I know of a lad who quite recently had his 1st pint after 16 months and felt drunk due to it so i suppose it would be the same for any 18 year old driver no?

To be honest i think its a tricky subject and very circumstantial
Colin

16th Jun 10 at 14:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
quote:

We're talking about 1 drink.

I don't know about you, but when I do have one drink and drive, I generally turn up at a pub on a nice sunny day. Order my pint, maybe some food. Over the next course an hour I drink my pint, eat my food.

After finishing my pint I may still wait for a while longer before leaving.

- the amount of alcohol in my system is probably barely noticeable - therefore I never 'feel' any effect from this. It's not irresponsible, I'm not risking people's lives any more than when I drive around normally.

Stop confusing people having a few cans / beers and driving home and what we're talking about here - 1 single pint spread over a fairly large space of time.

Spot on Paul!!

TBH theres probably thousands of people that do this every day with no ill effect!!
harrisp

16th Jun 10 at 14:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A story just to confuse it all, I once got arrested (not driving) after drinking a huge amount and I barely blew over the limit but the state I was in I would have had trouble getting in a car never mind driving yet I could almost legally drive.

Reducing the limit will do nothing but catch more people the next day after a few pints or people who have had a pint with food etc, people who get pissed and drive will still drive.

[Edited on 16-06-2010 by harrisp]
Colin

16th Jun 10 at 15:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
OK fair enough i can sympathise with your points howerver, what if an 18 year old who has no tolerance for alcohol has a pint and then drives home, do you still think that would be acceptable? obviously the effects are going to be considerably more for him/her.

I know of a lad who quite recently had his 1st pint after 16 months and felt drunk due to it so i suppose it would be the same for any 18 year old driver no?

To be honest i think its a tricky subject and very circumstantial

He/she 18yr old should be making a judgement as an adult whether they are capable to drive after a pint or not & if they dont feel up to it then dont do it.

I feel fine 110% fine after a pint, infact i'll go further to say I probably drive more considerately & not try any naughty moves if ive had a pint as I know that ive had a pint so should be behaving because ive had a pint!!

Thats maybe just me though!!
Ben D

16th Jun 10 at 15:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Maybe im just overly cautious in that i wouldnt want to take the risk, now obviously i dont feel like a pint has any effect on me but i would rather not take the risk, as obviously people who drink excessive amounts feel they are capable of driving also, But as i said we are not just endangering our own lives IF anythign unfortunate were to happen however innocent or not.

Just to note however if you were to knock somebody over or cause somebodys death whilst under the influence of alcohol however slightly and regardless of fault it may be the mitigating difference between a verdict of accidental death and of one which could result in a custodial sentence,

EDIT - Maybe that is getting a bit too far into it with regards the purpose of this discussion

Daimo B

16th Jun 10 at 15:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

@ the medical wizards on here who know exactly how the body is change by alchol and trying to justify needing a pint of beer in the sun

Next time I get ill, im gonna consult CS and not a doctor
Paul_J

16th Jun 10 at 15:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
OK fair enough i can sympathise with your points howerver, what if an 18 year old who has no tolerance for alcohol has a pint and then drives home

A perfect reason why under age drinking should be allowed

Build up his tolerance
Ben D

16th Jun 10 at 15:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats a rather twisted view Paul but a solution none the less, i'm out of arguements

Nath

16th Jun 10 at 15:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can 1 pint even be detected? I mean to a timescale, could it be proven that you had that pint less than an hour ago for example?
Paul_J

16th Jun 10 at 15:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR
trying to justify needing a pint of beer in the sun

You laugh - but these same 'nanny state' style people are the same ones which will eventually bad motorbikes. (I'm a fan of motorbikes btw incase you flip out).

In this world, people throw judgement on things that don't involve them.

e.g.

- People who have no exposure at all to fox hunting, demanding it be banned.

- People who don't drink demanding that we put zero drink tolerances on driving

- People who don't drive saying car's should be banned.

- People who don't drive much saying all speed limits should be reduced.

- People who don't enjoy watching or have any involvement in boxing, demanding it is banned.

- People who have never tried or know the real influences of very light weight drugs, insisting that it should be banned to save millions of lives.

... oh yes and...

- People who don't own a motorcycle, never ridden one or ever go near one - demanding that laws are tightened to reduce the dangers of riding a bike (e.g. slower speed limits, harder tests, tougher fines etc).

- It's the people who have no attachment at all to the subject getting banned, that scream the loudest to get it banned (as they don't understand / care).
Ben D

16th Jun 10 at 15:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just out of interest paul what "light weight drugs" are you reffering too, some people may think you lost any credibility by trying to legalize the hash there you big hippy
Marc

16th Jun 10 at 15:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not sure if this has been said, but I reckon it will affect a lot of country pubs.
Ben D

16th Jun 10 at 15:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nath
Can 1 pint even be detected? I mean to a timescale, could it be proven that you had that pint less than an hour ago for example?

No Nath hence why before being breathalyzed the officer in question is required to ask if you have had a drink, used mouthwash or even smoked in a set amount of time before being breathalyzed i cant remember how long it is, but there are strict protocols regarding this which can nullify a conviction if not followed to the letter of the law
Marc

16th Jun 10 at 15:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nath

I've had 1 pint and been breathalised, didn't even register.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Drink drive limit 22 database queries in 0.0142968 seconds