corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Who Here Has an Engineering Degree

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Who Here Has an Engineering Degree
whitter45

User status: Offline
21st Jul 10 at 18:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have an Aerospace Engineering degree from UMIST
whitter45

21st Jul 10 at 18:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robo C20Let
quote:
Originally posted by ed
Most of the engineers I work with are illiterate Well, they're not that bad but you get what I mean. You should think about getting yourself to a masters level in Mech Eng then you can get yourself a really good job somewhere. Looking at your location try Coventry, Aston or Brum. Then when you're done try getting onto the Jaguar Landrover graduate programme (or somewhere similar), you can then work towards becoming chartered through the ImechE which will get you an even better job

i already work for jag and i went to do my degree with them but they dont do what i want they do production engineering which i dont want to do.
sound gezza thanks, what qualification do you need to become a charted engineer

chartered engineering is purely based on perosnal development and experience once you have a BEng or MEng Degree

ed

21st Jul 10 at 18:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You need to have a masters and then some professional development with an accredited company...
whitter45

21st Jul 10 at 18:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
You need to have a masters and then some professional development with an accredited company...

You dont need a masters - just takes longer or prove more development
Col004

21st Jul 10 at 20:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed

Disagree mate.. You dont need a masters to get on. A degree while gaining experience is more than enough, as experience is the key. I’ve not got a masters and I very much doubt Id find a better job than I’ve got now if I had one.
ed

21st Jul 10 at 20:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So you're a chartered engineer?
Col004

21st Jul 10 at 20:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes
ed

21st Jul 10 at 20:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Which institute did you go through? Just interested cos I was chatting to a guy at the weekend who has convinced me to go ahead with it...
alan-g-w

21st Jul 10 at 20:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Take it you're going for an office based job Robo? I've just got an HNC in Mech Eng, finished a 4 year apprenticeship in August there.

[Edited on 21-07-2010 by alan-g-w]
Col004

21st Jul 10 at 21:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
Which institute did you go through? Just interested cos I was chatting to a guy at the weekend who has convinced me to go ahead with it...

I did everything through BAE SYSTEMS in Military new build aviation. I started an apprenticeship back when I was 16 and went through the routes to get my degree in aviation (electronics/Avionics). I’m now a production avionic systems test engineer on new build Typhoon Aircraft and registered by the Engineering Council UK. Its took me 13 years all in all to now.

[Edited on 21-07-2010 by Col004]
Robo C20Let

21st Jul 10 at 21:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by alan-g-w
Take it you're going for an office based job Robo? I've just got an HNC in Mech Eng, finished a 4 year apprenticeship in August there.

who knows lol i just want to get out of england but once i have the highest qualification i can get by the time in 26 so 5/6.

i would like to get my masters or better a PHD
Anton2K3

21st Jul 10 at 21:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have an MEng Hons Marine Engineering from Newcastle University. As people have mentioned, need to be pretty hot on maths an physics. However, engineering degrees are worth the effort. I've just finished and walking straight into a job with Lloyd's register on their graduate scheme in London. I'd look at the best universities for the degree you want to do, as companies do take that into account. I went to Newcastle because of the reputation of their marine school, and as a result companies like Lloyd's register actively recruit from them. I'll be honest thought, it's a long road ahead!
sxibeast

22nd Jul 10 at 07:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive just started doing a BEng with the OU. Will take abit longer, but cant really take time off during the week at the moment to attend a university.

In terms of accreditation with ECUK, i just have to make sure i pick courses that have as much engineering content as possible (aside from the maths and science courses required).

I'm also just joining the IMechE (was originally with the IET) so to get on the ladder so to speak, jut filling out the forms to get ENGTECH status, then taking on a few inhouse courses and abit more 'corporate' work with the aim of getting Incorporated status within the next two years (then chartered a few years after that).
whitter45

22nd Jul 10 at 07:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have Engtech Status

Cuurrently going for Chartered status
alan-g-w

22nd Jul 10 at 17:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robo C20Let
quote:
Originally posted by alan-g-w

who knows lol i just want to get out of england but once i have the highest qualification i can get by the time in 26 so 5/6.

i would like to get my masters or better a PHD

Fair enough mate, but if you're looking at going onto the tools as a fitter or similair I'd suggest getting an apprenticeship or going to an engineering training centre to get the qualifications and skills you need.

Only reason I'm saying is because I've seen people coming from 5/6 years of uni but when they're asked to drill and tap a hole or something similairly easy they fail badly. They're confident on the theory behind it, but when they give it a go it's a different story. You can be an engineer in an office based job working on projects from the techincal side of things like design, quality, drawing office and basically everything needed other than the assembly though. I'd say you should try to make up your mind before you commit to anything anyway.
Mase
Premium Member

22nd Jul 10 at 18:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a MEng (hons) in Mechanical Engineering. I did 5 years including a years sandwich placement.

In order to become chartered I had to do the masters to satisfy the academic section of the CEng application process. This is relatively recent, as they did used to accept BEng as acceptable I've been told.

I now have to put together a professional development folder to document the work I'm doing, regular progress reports and examples of work, all of which have to in one way or another satisfy a number of competences set out by the UKEC.

There is an MPDS scheme offered by the IMechE which is a structured route to becoming Chartered. Many of my friends are on it at the minute, but they all work for large companies that have the people available to mentor and meet reguarly etc. The company I work for isn't really big enough to offer that.

Mase
Robo C20Let

22nd Jul 10 at 20:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have just been offered an engineering course that gives me BSc (hons) Engineering

are they any good
whitter45

22nd Jul 10 at 20:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

true engineering courses should give you a BEng not a BSc
ed

22nd Jul 10 at 20:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you get a BSc it will be a Product Design Engineering or Industrial Design course? (Like I did )

I guess it could be a non-accredited mech eng course too?
Robo C20Let

22nd Jul 10 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

god knows, all i know is it gets me a degree, i havent made any decisions yet but even so its still worth getting a BSc isnt it
ed

22nd Jul 10 at 22:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well as long as it's a decent course then it's worth doing. Make sure you do your research as you don't want a degree in nothing with few job prospects. Which is unfortunately pretty common now
aron

22nd Jul 10 at 23:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you can do a BSc in an engineering subject, it just doesn't open quite so many doors down the line (chartership/accreditation etc)

BEng is the way to go if you want a shorter route to being chartered, BSc will still get you there, just with more work/work experience
whitter45

23rd Jul 10 at 07:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

also make sure the institute is well regarded

No point in doing an engieerign degree with a university that is not well know

In my experience where you did the course goes a long way during selection process
sxibeast

23rd Jul 10 at 07:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Accredited universities with with accredited courses can be found on the ECUK website if you wanted to check up on potential places to go.
Gary
Premium Member

23rd Jul 10 at 08:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by aron
you can do a BSc in an engineering subject, it just doesn't open quite so many doors down the line (chartership/accreditation etc)

BEng is the way to go if you want a shorter route to being chartered, BSc will still get you there, just with more work/work experience

BSc course was just ful of numpteys when i was at uni.

Did BEng for a year, but the maths started going over my head so nobbed it off.
Still an apprentice trained mech engineer tho so all good.

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Who Here Has an Engineering Degree 23 database queries in 0.0200560 seconds