corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » New Toy-Sinclair C5 [Update] Another new Toy - Reliant kitten

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author New Toy-Sinclair C5 [Update] Another new Toy - Reliant kitten
RichR
Premium Member

User status: Offline
10th Sep 10 at 09:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Stavs
One of my customers has one sitting in there garage gathering dust, looks quite good condition ! Is it worth anything

They seem to go for £400-£800 in standard guise so no, not really, but I'll be looking for another after we finish this one. They don't rot so can stand for years - not fussed on engine as I'll drop a TL1000 V Twin set up in or that's the plan

The current seating position is awesome, we've dropped a glass version of the carbon seats in with no runners; so you're basically sat on the floor; touring car position looking through the steering wheel - I want to keep it like that but Paul wants runners boo!

[Edited on 10-09-2010 by LiVe LeE]
BluKoo

10th Sep 10 at 10:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lee - You are a hero
RichR
Premium Member

10th Sep 10 at 10:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got single, I got toys
Robin
Premium Member

10th Sep 10 at 10:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I envy you, I've wanted both of these for a long time!
alan-g-w

10th Sep 10 at 11:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE
Few Facts:

The chassis was designed by Lotus
The body was manufactured by Hoover
It was the largest injection moulded product at the time by a far way
It was the first mass prodced item to use ultrasonic bonding to bond the upper moulding to the lower
12,000 have been sold and the production costs of each one was £22,000 but they sold for £400 origninally
[Edited on 21-08-2010 by LiVe LeE]

So they spent £264,000,000 on production costs... yet only made £4,800,000 out of them? Or am I missing something?
RichR
Premium Member

10th Sep 10 at 11:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by alan-g-w
quote:
Few Facts:

The chassis was designed by Lotus
The body was manufactured by Hoover
It was the largest injection moulded product at the time by a far way
It was the first mass prodced item to use ultrasonic bonding to bond the upper moulding to the lower
12,000 have been sold and the production costs of each one was £22,000 but they sold for £400 origninally
[Edited on 21-08-2010 by LiVe LeE]

So they spent £264,000,000 on production costs... yet only made £4,800,000 out of them? Or am I missing something?

£22,000 in today's money; accounting for inflationary rises; can't find the figures now; but £400 was the original selling price. They made massive/unprecidented losses I know that much
alan-g-w

10th Sep 10 at 11:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As in £260million losses?

edit: Sorry, just realised what you meant.

[Edited on 10-09-2010 by alan-g-w]
alan-g-w

10th Sep 10 at 11:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Still though, at 22 grand in todays money that's about 4 or 5 grand in their money. Losses of 3.5-4.5 grand per unit?
3CorsaMeal

10th Sep 10 at 11:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A heavily modified C5 reached a top speed of 150 miles per hour (240 km/h) and accelerated from 0 to 60 mph in 5 seconds taking the speed record for an electric vehicle.[4] The C5 also became the world's first electric stunt vehicle when it was driven through a 70ft tunnel of fire.[5] A "turbo conversion" converting the C5 to 24 volts and boosting the speed to 27–30 miles per hour (43–48 km/h) is available

pmsl 150mph

what are they like up bigish hills? would be perfect for driving around Thaxted town
RichR
Premium Member

10th Sep 10 at 11:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Still though, at 22 grand in todays money that's about 4 or 5 grand in their money. Losses of 3.5-4.5 grand per unit?

Yeah massive, massive losses! He was expecting to sell hundreds of thousands and they'd transform the motor industry! He had Hoover involved, Lotus and a lot of investors who lost huge sums of Money

Just found this:

quote:
Some Sinclair C5 geek
The C5 was launched in January 1985, initially for mail-order sales at £399, plus £29 delivery, making a total of £428.

By the Summer of 1985, Comet were selling C5s for immediate free delivery for £399.

By September 1985, when it was obvious that the C5 project was failing, Comet slashed the price of the C5 to £139.99 delivered.

After Sinclair Vehicles closed, a company in Liverpool bought the remaining 4500 complete C5s, and sold them for £699+VAT!

Sinclair Vehicles was initially financed by Clive Sinclair's sale of some of his shares in Sinclair Research, raising some £12 million.

After production stopped, Hoover, the C5 assembler, was still owed about £1.5 million by Sinclair Vehicles.

The best figures I can find add up like this:

£8.6m initial investment by Clive Sinclair
£5.9m additional cash from Clive
£6.4m debts at liquidation
£1.5m owed to Hoover at liquidation
4500 C5s sold at liquidation, raising perhaps £400,000

That's a total investment of around £22m!

If 12,000 C5s were produced in total, and the project cost £22 million, each C5 cost £1833 to make!

[Edited on 10-09-2010 by LiVe LeE]
RichR
Premium Member

10th Sep 10 at 11:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
A heavily modified C5 reached a top speed of 150 miles per hour (240 km/h) and accelerated from 0 to 60 mph in 5 seconds taking the speed record for an electric vehicle.[4] The C5 also became the world's first electric stunt vehicle when it was driven through a 70ft tunnel of fire.[5] A "turbo conversion" converting the C5 to 24 volts and boosting the speed to 27–30 miles per hour (43–48 km/h) is available

pmsl 150mph

what are they like up bigish hills? would be perfect for driving around Thaxted town

Up a hill, you have to pedal but it feels like someones gently pushing you along and then the battery dies
mike56gte

10th Sep 10 at 12:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my grandad has one of these in his garage its just sat for years.

how fast do they go?
RichR
Premium Member

10th Sep 10 at 12:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the C5 is about 20(ish) on the flat with pedalling; the Reliant, I have no idea yet
alan-g-w

10th Sep 10 at 12:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Those figures are crazy. Two people lost £15m between them alone, knew it had been a big failure, just not that big.
alan-g-w

10th Sep 10 at 12:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And meant to say, can't wait to see pics and videos of the Reliant. Things like that (the Minis with bike engines and stuff) usually go for 10k+ I thought?
aron

10th Sep 10 at 13:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

in the name of collecting failed automotive ventures, you need a delorean next...
RichR
Premium Member

10th Sep 10 at 13:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
And meant to say, can't wait to see pics and videos of the Reliant. Things like that (the Minis with bike engines and stuff) usually go for 10k+ I thought?

We reckon this will be £7.5k, it is/was insured for that valuation
Eck
Premium Member

10th Sep 10 at 13:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fucking love Kittens. The one on youtube with the superlights looks amazing.
RichR
Premium Member

10th Sep 10 at 13:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The V8 one? Its seriously impressive
CorsAsh

18th Sep 10 at 23:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rich, spray the C5 up like an F117
dannymccann

19th Sep 10 at 07:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Bought into a Reliant Kitten last night; its essentially a 4 wheel version of the Robin but ours is fitted with a 1998 Yamaha R1 engine (on Carbs); Fully stripped and galvanised chassis, polycarb windows to go in; we've got two carbon bucket seats, digi dash and an all up weight of 410kg!!

Only things to buy to finish are harnesses and fabricate a roll cage. We have everything else we need so just need to spend some time on the body to clean it up.

Got it Very, Very cheap because the guy gave up on it after he couldn't get it running. Paul did a lto of work on the car for the previous owner including custom hubs to convert to disc brakes, full coilover covnersion from leaf springs on the rear. Paul managed to get it going in about 1 hour!

Not a photo of the actual one; ours is in bits but we have everything needed and just need time spent on it now.

I'll get actual photos over the w/e

WANT

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » New Toy-Sinclair C5 [Update] Another new Toy - Reliant kitten 22 database queries in 0.4504180 seconds