corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Jury Service

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Jury Service
Ben G

User status: Offline
5th Nov 10 at 13:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how can you keep your mouth shut when theres a dirty paedophile right in front of you?

i wouldn't be able to. would have to tell them i have tourettes or something
Sam
Premium Member

5th Nov 10 at 13:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do they pay you for doing jury duty?
saj_123

5th Nov 10 at 13:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I went to the Old Bailey and saw a murder case when there was like 6 people who beat this guy to death and the witnesses identity was protected, she broke down. Don't know what happened had to leave. I am currently doing a law degree and I have to read some judgements from Judges and they do drag everything out, but they have to be certain that everything is correct.
saj_123

5th Nov 10 at 13:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sam

Nope, expenses if I remember correctly.
Ben G

5th Nov 10 at 13:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but i take it your work gets paid so you get paid for basically sitting there all day?

my dad did it and actually earned money out of it iirc. the expenses are pretty good.
sxibeast

5th Nov 10 at 14:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
how can you keep your mouth shut when theres a dirty paedophile right in front of you?

i wouldn't be able to. would have to tell them i have tourettes or something

It was extremely difficult not to tbh! I did think about hurling something at him, but knowing my luck i would end up the other side of the screen!

What i think was the worst part, was that he was released after each day!

One of the women who was on the jury saw him wandering around Stevenage town center at the weekend in between the case!!
Limecat
Banned

5th Nov 10 at 14:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
but i take it your work gets paid so you get paid for basically sitting there all day?

my dad did it and actually earned money out of it iirc. the expenses are pretty good.

The expenses were crap.

I did it at Minshull St Crown Court in Manchester during the fuel blockades. They covered my train ticket and about £4 a day for food.

There is also a limit on what you are paid. I forget the figure but it was something like £80 a day and so high earners lose out massively.
sxibeast

5th Nov 10 at 14:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You should get paid as per normal from your company, and then you can claim for car parking/travel/fuel etc afterwards, but hang onto any reciepts you get aswell during the period, otherwise they can make it difficult to get the cash back!
Limecat
Banned

5th Nov 10 at 14:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Perhaps it's changed as I did it in 2000 IIRC but your company wasn't under an obligation to pay you. It didn't affect me as I was doing my engineering apprenticeship so didn't earn much at the time but some of the people there were really pissed off as they were losing money hand over fist.

I spent the first 4 days in the smoke room reading Fast Car and Redline and eating kebabs each dinner.

SetH

5th Nov 10 at 14:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So what happens if you are self employed and have to sit on a Jury for 8 weeks? Your business could have gone under by then?
Limecat
Banned

5th Nov 10 at 14:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SetH
So what happens if you are self employed and have to sit on a Jury for 8 weeks? Your business could have gone under by then?

IIRC you were only obliged to do 2 weeks, there were certain get out clauses but I can't remember what they were. Think it was things like criminal record, being a copper, having done it already within a certain timescale. I think you could defer doing it for a while too?

When I did it they were drawing 12 jurors from 21 instead of 15 due to the fuel strikes and we were asked if we would have issues attending and for a drugs trial which was predicted to take 5 weeks some people were able to opt out of being drawn.
whitter45

5th Nov 10 at 14:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sam

depends on your employer

Work dont have to pay you - if they dont you get £64 a day for so long then it starts to increase

All travel expenses are paid back to you though

Most people I met said work wouldnt pay them but they would top up the £64 a day if they normally earn more than that

Work paid me so all was good
whitter45

5th Nov 10 at 14:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

also you have to do 2 weeks and anything longer you can object due to good reason
--DAN--

5th Nov 10 at 18:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Limecat
quote:

Think it was things like criminal record, being a copper, having done it already within a certain timescale. I think you could defer doing it for a while too?

Nope that doesn't work, done it 3 times in 6 years!
jacko198

5th Nov 10 at 18:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can get out of it. Try saying you are a buddhist and you feel it is against your beliefs to have judgement on anyone
Nath

5th Nov 10 at 18:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My Mum is 'hard of hearing' and for that reason she got out of it. They didn't want proof either.
richc

5th Nov 10 at 18:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I want too do it, but dont think i will ever get picked
Limecat
Banned

5th Nov 10 at 20:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by --DAN--
quote:
Originally posted by Limecat
quote:

Think it was things like criminal record, being a copper, having done it already within a certain timescale. I think you could defer doing it for a while too?

Nope that doesn't work, done it 3 times in 6 years!

Just checked;
Under Section 8 (1) of the Juries Act 1974 a person who has served or attended as a juror during a period of two years prior to the service of the summons is entitled to excusal as of right because of their previous jury service.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Jury Service 22 database queries in 0.0154212 seconds