corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Driving in America

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Driving in America
Ojc

User status: Offline
12th Nov 10 at 09:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Reading, Pennsylvania?

Are you going to the massive airshow they have there?
Matt L

12th Nov 10 at 10:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its interesting to say the least driving over there well i say that i didnt actually drive my brother did but there was like a speed limit sign about 5miles after the limit had changed (we had a satnav that told us what the limit was), can undertake aswell by the way everybody drove over there, traffic lights were strange aswell that you could turn right when on red on certain ones but not others oh and people in bigger cars assume they have right of way
Fonz
Premium Member

12th Nov 10 at 11:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Hammer
Whereabouts?

Florida, for example, has massive roads and little traffic so driving is a walk in the park. Unless it rains.

and then it is like walking in the park when it is raining
RichR
Premium Member

12th Nov 10 at 11:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Driving through New York City is horrendous - Did it in a Dodge Intrepid hire car as we flew into JFK then drove for forever up to Niagara where Dad's offices are.

Road's were so smooth and scenic, the drive was amazing but getting through NYC was awful; especially when the Taxi reversed into the side of us!!!
whitter45

12th Nov 10 at 11:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

anyof the big cities are terrible

Chicago was the same

LA was the worst place ever

[Edited on 12-11-2010 by whitter45]
ajscorsa

12th Nov 10 at 13:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Whereabouts?

Florida, for example, has massive roads and little traffic so driving is a walk in the park. Unless it rains.

driving in the rain is easy everyone else just pulls in lol
alan-g-w

12th Nov 10 at 19:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Fonz
quote:
Whereabouts?

and then it is like walking in the park when it is raining

More like swimming through the park tbh
alan-g-w

12th Nov 10 at 19:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Siberia
just watch turning left... it requires some tought at first to not end up on the wrong side of the road...

get a satnav... dont rent one.... there stupid expensive... buy one and you can use it next time your over there.. it will be the same price to rent one..

if your renting a car make sure that you have money on your credit card and that if its you that intends to drive the car you have your liecence in your name(obviously) and that the card you usde to book it is also in your name or you will have problems trying to get the car.

if you going to florida get the toll thing the guy offers you at the desk.. i think its $18 for a week.... some roads(floridas turnpike) has a toll every 10 miles.

Dont let any americans run you off the road.. they try hard

Sorry mate but I didn't agree with any of that! From going to Florida a few times, albeit not driving though - turning left is easy, no need for a sat nav since the roads are grids (you get free maps from the coupon bins and as long as you're not an R-tard they're easy to read), is it not obvious that you'd have a credit card in your name(?), £18 a week for tolls is an absolutely ridiculous amount and they drive just like people over here.

[Edited on 12-11-2010 by alan-g-w]
Siberia

12th Nov 10 at 21:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by alan-g-w
Sorry mate but I didn't agree with any of that! From going to Florida a few times, albeit not driving though - turning left is easy, no need for a sat nav since the roads are grids (you get free maps from the coupon bins and as long as you're not an R-tard they're easy to read), is it not obvious that you'd have a credit card in your name(?), £18 a week for tolls is an absolutely ridiculous amount and they drive just like people over here.

I dont post much on this site for this reason..

wtf.. are you posting this just to be dis-agreable?

having actually DRIVEN in the us several times unlike you? these are the things i have seen..

maybe in the really small print that nobody reads.. they tell you that they take $200 off your card at the desk. i didnt know that untill i went the first time...
also let say that you use you mams/dads/brothers card to book the car... they wont take your card when you get desk

roads are like grids? maybe in manhattan an other citys... what parts of florida did you go to?

i said 18 dollars... in 1 week in florida your going to drive through at least 20-30 tolls.. at 1 DOLLAR+ for each. how is that a ripp off?

[Edited on 12-11-2010 by Siberia]
noshua

12th Nov 10 at 21:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As mentioned, the toll card will save you shed loads
oceansoul

12th Nov 10 at 22:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Put it in D. Keep your foot on the brake at all times, unless you want to start moving.

Assuming you have never driven an Auto before.
Sam
Premium Member

13th Nov 10 at 09:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You don't need an international licence so don't bother buying one from the Post Office.

I don't know if this is the same everywhere in the USA but here are my observations from driving in TN:

- if you are in the 'slow' lane of a dual carriageway/highway etc. and a police car/fire engine/ambulance is parked on the hard shoulder, MOVE OVER to the next lane as they WILL pull you over if you simply drive past them on the hard shoulder!

- you can turn right at a traffic light if it's on red as long as there's no cars coming from the left and there are no signs by the lights that prohibit you from doing so

- never EVER go faster than the speed limit, even if you see others doing so because there are highway patrol cars/cops that lurk everywhere and have no hesitation on pulling you over and doing you for speeding even if you were doing 40 in a 35 for example.

- pretty much everyone drives an automatic so learn over here if you've never driven one before otherwise you will be like the other halfwits from this country that attempt to drive with both feet on the foot and accelerator at the same time "forgetting" there's no clutch pedal.
alan-g-w

13th Nov 10 at 14:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

having actually DRIVEN in the us several times unlike you? these are the things i have seen..

maybe in the really small print that nobody reads.. they tell you that they take $200 off your card at the desk. i didnt know that untill i went the first time...
also let say that you use you mams/dads/brothers card to book the car... they wont take your card when you get desk

roads are like grids? maybe in manhattan an other citys... what parts of florida did you go to?

i said 18 dollars... in 1 week in florida your going to drive through at least 20-30 tolls.. at 1 DOLLAR+ for each. how is that a ripp off?

What a wank, that was me trying to be diplomatic as well even saying sorry for not agreeing with you. If you don't want to run the risk of someone disagreeing with you then do us a favour and fuck off and don't post at all.

I've been over there with a license, only reason I've not driven is because you need to be 25 unless you want to pay a massive premium. So I've known how to drive while being driven about and since I've got common sense I've been able to tell what it'd be like if it was me in control.

You're still not making any sense about the credit card thing. I've been to Orlando, Miami, Kissimee, Fort Lauderdale, Daytona and other central/southern bits of Florida. Fair enough, maybe the roads aren't all grids but they're just about all straight lines. Point about the maps still stands, made even stronger by the fact you didn't use one as well. In all the times I went I never once used $18 of tolls in a 2 week holiday, let alone half of that. Not been in a while though so who knows, maybe it's worse for them now. But $1 a toll? Maybe some but it would be a minority. Most when I was there, again a couple of years since I have, were about 75c or less.

Very sorry I offended you by giving a different opinion, don't expect it not to happen again though.
Hammer

13th Nov 10 at 14:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ajscorsa
quote:
Whereabouts?

driving in the rain is easy everyone else just pulls in lol

That's not driving really then is it?

When it pisses of rain everyone heads for the bridges.

[Edited on 13-11-2010 by Hammer]
jrsteeve

13th Nov 10 at 14:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

[Edited on 12-11-2010 by Siberia]

Agree. The slightest issue with payment can void the whole rental or cost a fair bit in surcharges. Defo need a sat nav so you don't have to rely on someone else reading the map, just saves a lot of hassle!
sand-eel

13th Nov 10 at 17:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mike56gte
john bunnel spoof

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6e16mLYNls

Haha the undercover baby
Siberia

13th Nov 10 at 18:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
You're still not making any sense about the credit card thing.

let me try and put this to bed..

let say your going to the usa in january and you book a car today. let say you dont have cash on your credit card and you use you mams/dads/sisters/brothers card to book the car.

When you get to the desk in the car hire place they are going to ask you for A. your liecence and B the credit card that you used to book the car. the name on the liecence and the name on the credit must match or you will have problems getting the car.

Also unless you read the small print(which nobody does) you wont know untill you get to the desk that they take roughly $200 off the card. 60 of this is for a tank of fuel. and the rest is refunded to your card when you return the car. again this could be a problem if you didnt know about it or didnt have that cash on the card.

Regarding the tolls thing forward this video to 3:18 and watch it.
http://www.youtube.com/ctfxc#p/u/8/HnsgxbMynww

[Edited on 13-11-2010 by Siberia]
whitter45

15th Nov 10 at 10:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

end of the day get a sat nav and buy a USA map for £30 and your laughing - makes more sense and if sight seeing you get may POI downloads to help you

Granted we did 8 states and 3k miles but we would have been lost without a sat nav saved us on mnay occassions

We only hit 1 toll on our route but in Florida you hit many

Depending on were you are driving also take the extra cover for tryes etc as it worked about about £70 for 18 days and we went over some very rough terrain so was worth it

However our car broke down on the 6th day and we had terrible service so in the end we received a full refund for the car for the 18 day period which was good (circa £600)

That was with Alamo and i would never ever use them again - they have no regard for safety and customer service

also if you travelling across states you must get a platium insurance for your waivers incase of accident. it will also cover your party to drive the car and give you a full tank of fuel and give it back empty

Just enjoy it

[Edited on 15-11-2010 by whitter45]

[Edited on 15-11-2010 by whitter45]

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Driving in America 22 database queries in 0.0170729 seconds