corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » clio 182's

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author clio 182's
Mieran

User status: Offline
20th Dec 10 at 23:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

will be cheaper to get more power of of the LET though
LeeM

20th Dec 10 at 23:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ill just do it myself. most of the ones around the £4k mark are advertised as having it done, what mileage/age does it need doing?
AndyCorsaSport

20th Dec 10 at 23:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

5 years or 72,000.

You a mechanic? Should be easy enough to do it yourself if you know how.
sc0ott

21st Dec 10 at 06:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The 5 years is for both belts aint it? You may as well get both done at the same time anyway.

Bolt on mods dont give you much of a power increase but the noise is worth it if going down the ss exhaust, filter etc route, plus there is all talk of the standard exhaust rusting badly.
But as said in another comment if you want more power get tbs or a turbo.
Brilliant on petrol as well.
Jambo

21st Dec 10 at 08:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rstuner matched inlets is good not because it gives you anymore power but it makes it more driveable puts the power lower down rather than the famous 5k kick
AndyCorsaSport

21st Dec 10 at 09:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah I didn't know that Jambo.

As said they are great on fuel for the engine size. Can quite easily see 42mpg+ on a motorway run. I usually average between 30-35mpg to work and back. With the cold weather at the moment it's dropped to around 26/27mpg. And on track it managed 16mpg
alan-g-w

21st Dec 10 at 09:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mieran
will be cheaper to get more power of of the LET though

I'm sorry but I can swear on anything that in previous threads by LeeM I've been close to saying there's no chance he's going through with a conversion. The thread about brakes was the one that did it, he was going on about getting 4 pots 'because they look better' that 308mm's. That's fair enough, cool if you want to do that but he sounded like a dreamer.

Surprise surprise he's looking at other cars. Don't mean to sound so harsh but I'm chuckling to myself at the fact that I predicted this would happen.
LeeM

21st Dec 10 at 10:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm just very indecisive! Tbh I hadn't realised the amount of stuff involved in the let conversion and not sure that I can really be bothered, especially when I look at progress threads on Corsa-c and see a lot of them were off the road for months during the conversion. Im a Qualified mechanic and I've done engine conversions before on my own cars so the works not a problem, just seems a let Corsa would be a money pit. And I'm missing my vts, the Clio seems a bit of a more grown up car that would be similar but retain some of the luxuries of my corsa
Mieran

21st Dec 10 at 11:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You will get bored with 182 power and will want more.

For example, a JMS inlet thing for 1*2s costs 1700 and gives about 30bhp, if you were to spend that sort of money on a LET you'll be well over 300bhp
taylorboosh

21st Dec 10 at 11:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For 4k id buy my civic tbh
alan-g-w

21st Dec 10 at 11:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think the performance of a 182 coming up from the Corsa that you've got would be plenty for the time being. If you're not too keen on it you could always sell it when summer comes round and get close to, if not, the price you paid to make way for something else.

I reckon you'd be smarter to go for a 182 rather than have the time, effort and money tied up in it if it's not viable for you. Always something to keep in mind for the future though.
Jambo

21st Dec 10 at 11:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It depends if you want to build a drag racer or something that's hugely fun and rewarding to drive.

Mine has a sports cat and a full exhaust, due a remap soon. I think it's great fun and sure it's not a rocket ship and to me felt slow as I had a 350bhp M3 previously but for the purpose of the car it's very good.

Downside to them is they are noisy on motorways so designed for town driving really/ broad blasts really. Needs another gear!
Ash_EP3

21st Dec 10 at 12:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
It depends if you want to build a drag racer or something that's hugely fun and rewarding to drive.

Mine has a sports cat and a full exhaust, due a remap soon. I think it's great fun and sure it's not a rocket ship and to me felt slow as I had a 350bhp M3 previously but for the purpose of the car it's very good.

Downside to them is they are noisy on motorways so designed for town driving really/ broad blasts really. Needs another gear!

Exactly the same as the CTR tbh... more a sprinter than a long distance cruiser...
Fad

21st Dec 10 at 19:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Rstuner matched inlets is good not because it gives you anymore power but it makes it more driveable puts the power lower down rather than the famous 5k kick

Yep mine was lovely to drive after this.

Two different ketles of fish. You would need a lot of patience and a deep wallet for a LET in the long run Something will need doing each month regardless. But performance wise not a lot would beat it I guess for the money.

Clio is more for the person who enjoys the whole package of reasonable performance and cheap thrills

I owned my 182 for 3 years and never got bored of it.
CORSA NUT

21st Dec 10 at 20:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have to say I did get bored of mine I just love proper speed ie 220+ and turbocharged.

With the Clio it went quick around town but on a long open road or motorway it felt slow to me as a car though there ain't much I've driven that handles better or does the job it needs to.

[Edited on 21-12-2010 by CORSA NUT]
Jambo

21st Dec 10 at 20:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its a town car, it can do Mway jaunts but its quick point ot point shopping trolley. Want turbo power and even more ferocious grip/turn in/fun get an R26
gez bay

21st Dec 10 at 21:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have a 172. Its soooo much fun to drive.
Good power as standard and the handling is awsome, and there are alot extras in them for the money they are. Although ive taken half of mine out
the best mods you can do without going down itb/turbo/supercharged route is.

Matched inlets
2.5" decat back exhaust system
v6 airbox with filter
Jms remap, set up on a RR.

Mine goes quite well and suprises alot of people in the twisties. Probably will be going down the itb route
Paul_J

21st Dec 10 at 21:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how much power would that give gez?
CORSA NUT

21st Dec 10 at 21:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Its a town car, it can do Mway jaunts but its quick point ot point shopping trolley. Want turbo power and even more ferocious grip/turn in/fun get an R26

This.Simplz
Fad

21st Dec 10 at 21:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its probably got a genuine 172 bhp

Mine was a similar set up and I think you went out in it Paul.

Gez isnt the JMS map just a tweaked RS Tuner map?
gez bay

21st Dec 10 at 21:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah wouldn't be suprised, seems to go well, considering what ive done. Still need to get the map done tho.
One of my mates bought a standard 182, put it on the RR and it made 163bhp Gutted.
It probably is fad, i think it would be better to get the car fine tuned incase its got some flat spot or something. And Jms only charge £170 for a map.

I only went for the basic mods first as i wanted the car to be able to stop and handle well . Done the both, stripped loads of weight. So now i can start looking to up the bhp now.
LeeM

21st Dec 10 at 22:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hmmm, i never go on motorways anyway. im missing the gokart characteristics of my saxo and i dont think by making the corsa quicker will make me like it any more as soon as the snows gone its goin up for sale
sc0ott

21st Dec 10 at 22:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The jms over run map is cool.
gez bay

21st Dec 10 at 23:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

very cool
good choice if you buy a clio 182 leee
FlamingCorsa

21st Dec 10 at 23:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hi lee, i cant really comment to much on clio 172/182 on teh road .....

but here is my story! u may know few of my cars 310bhp stripped out astra van, 290hp vx220 which is fastest car i have been in and generally scared most people who get it, 0-100 in 9 secs is on par with fast super cars!

i came across a damaged clio 197 which i bought and repaired, first day on the road i thought it was slow:-(

but then after few days, weeks ...months i realised thats its plenty fast enough for the road and prob as good as the vx220 on the bends on normal roads, brakes are amazing! the vx220 and van have both been off the road for 6 months now since i got the clio done cos found i didnt need them on the road to have fun! i was going 120mph everyday in van or vx if i had them on the road! which was to fast for public roads.........clio was a much fun but at lower speeds

the clio is great as road car and i guess that clio 182's are the same!

my brother has a clio 172 with tweekend engine, cams, exhaust, bla bla bla, we go on track days together, i have the van thats runs around 260bhp on a track day set up and he has the clio, we swapped cars at anglsey for a change for 20mins, i was not looking forward to driving clio cos expected it to be slow compared tot he van........... i had a right blast, sure enough on straights van would easily pull away but clio felt so tight in corners and so much more fun then the big van, admitidly he does have gaz coilover with custome springs and semi slicks but it was just great fun to drive!

so if ur looking for a car so show off blistering acceleration then put a let in the corsa! i had a black 250hp z20let corsa c ........ i was great at accelerating but i hated haldling and brakes.... was just not a good overally package for me! van handles the z20let so much beta!

if u want a fun car thats beta all round car then go for clio :-)

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » clio 182's 22 database queries in 0.0136452 seconds